Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and how do you rate the Weleda cream mate? I've been familiar with their products for over 25 years - having had worked at their Aussie distributor in a previous life (in a galaxy far far away). Still use their moisturiser until this day....quality stuff!

In my opinion it is a great soap. Not to mention how I like its lavender fragrance, it easily lathers up and provides a very comfortable shave. Last but not the least, the quality of ingredients is very good. I like it!

Razor: feather
Blade: astra green
Cream: GFT coconut
Brush: Rooney beehive

Change of blade today from the Polsilvers I have been trying to use up (down to my last tuck) and it refreshed my great like for Astra blades. Unlike the pols I find them to be very smooth and reasonably sharp in my feather razor.

On the verge of finishing up a few products, GFT coconut, Cade asb, penhaligons b&b cream.

There has been reviews on this site that, yes the sensation was intense for a moment but died down and was not as hot as promoted. Have to wait and try one day if I'm lucky enough.
Offer @stillshunter a trade he's unable to refuse for a sample :)

OK @Dale.Whiley - I'm listening....
...only an eighth of the bottle left, so enough for one last sample, hmmm, maybe I'm more generous than I realised....or the missus is using it.

All good Stills. I'll be doing it lean for the coming couple of months with rates and daughter's car repair bill. I have to keep pulling myself up. I originally got into straights shaving to save money. Finding this site has blown that aim out of the water. The only trade bait I have is around 70 Astra Greens, about 5-6 Wilkies and 5-6 Gillettes. For the next few months I'll be working on and using DIY bay Rum.

A1pwyLg.jpg

Brush:
Semogue #620
Soap: Cella (stickemified)
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Speick AS lotion

So new candidate for my RAW (Razor-A-(Work)-Week) and this time it aint a vintage. Thanks to @Lifes a Peach I've been given the opportunity to test run a for-sale-for-a-blink-of-an-eyelid RRSS. This is an black aluminium version....ummm #3???? Anyway more on my first impression on the RRSS review thread.

I'd completely given up on Cella. I've heard folks bang on and on about the superior lather, the great glide, the penis enlarging properties, the post-shave face feel, etc. All of which I've not seen or felt any the benefit from. Then I read that maybe I'm being held back by the small tub and that I'm not loading enough. I read a recommendation somewhere that some guy was having great results using the Cella fashioned as a stick - as its consistency made for a more liberal application and availability when face lathering. Well what did I have to lose? Thought since I'm face lathering then I should give the weanling #620 a run. In short I got a great lather, nice glide, a little nether swelling and pretty nice post-shave face feel. Didn't really feel like I needed AS but what kind of man doesn't splash? So to Speick, and so now I sit here one happy man.

Last edited:
Oh, so you have an A/S for trade that money can not buy ?
That money would not want to buy. My first batch was OK, but only the scent only last for 45-60 minutes. NOBODY from this knowledgeable site would trade anything of value for something so average. Just put my second brew to bed this afternoon. Hoping THIS one is better. Only a small amount down; no trade opportunities - lucky for you blokes.

Nah not my razor mate, so I'd not take such liberties.....and anyways I have an R41 for that required level of attention

Makes my eyes water just the thought

Nah not my razor mate, so I'd not take such liberties.....and anyways I have an R41 for that required level of attention
What is an Eunuch ? for $1,000 Eddie.

That money would not want to buy. My first batch was OK, but only the scent only last for 45-60 minutes. NOBODY from this knowledgeable site would trade anything of value for something so average. Just put my second brew to bed this afternoon. Hoping THIS one is better. Only a small amount down; no trade opportunities - lucky for you blokes.
mate, got to sell your produce better than this, particularly if you're to utilise it to your advantage ;)

[QUOTE="borked, post: 36098, member: 1096"mate, got to sell your produce better than this, particularly if you're to utilise it to your advantage ;)[/QUOTE]
My wife keeps telling me "we're" going to sell my Bay Rum and make a fortune. She dreams big (money) but leaves the boring day to day detail (like a very average product) up to me. I guess it comes back to the adage, "you need to be able to picture your success to achieve your success". At least one of us has the zeal, even if it is slightly misplaced in this case.

mate, got to sell your produce better than this, particularly if you're to utilise it to your advantage ;)
My wife keeps telling me "we're" going to sell my Bay Rum and make a fortune. She dreams big (money) but leaves the boring day to day detail (like a very average product) up to me. I guess it comes back to the adage, "you need to be able to picture your success to achieve your success". At least one of us has the zeal, even if it is slightly misplaced in this case.
Get her on here then to sell your produce ;)
Can put her creativity to good use and save your poor ears for a while :p

Usual morning DE shave before church but this evening's straight shave... ... ...

cold water shave
liquid intake - ice cold Bundaberg Ginger Beer while shaving - only drink it once every few months but love it when I do
soap - P160 - the more I use this soap, the more I'm impressed. I takes so little work loading the brush but it makes a 3 pass shave with HEAPS to spare
razor - Dovo 5/8 SS straight
post shave - olive oil
AS - home made DIY Bay Rum

Over the last 3 weeks there has been a dramatic quality improvement in my straight shaves. Because the LHS of my body has a mobility & coordination disability, straight shaving the left side of my jawline has always been a issue. However as I have learned to stretch, pull and tighten my flabby flesh (down from 130 kgs to 83kgs has left a lot of flabby bits) my shaves have been getting closer. Tonight's shave was the equal of my DE shaves and what better way to cap it off than with my own home made Bay Rum.

A LOT to like about above :)

Sunday 15 March 2015

195925d1426424151-sun-march-15th-sat-march-21st-sotd-15032015.jpg

Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus Kamisori 5/8, French Point

I have always had a passion for Japanese kamisori and I have some of them in my collection. The same passion is for this stunning Mastro Livi kamisori, made of Mastro's carbon damascus steel, with a simple yet very elegant pattern. Not to mention the joy of shaving with Mastro Livi brush, an excellent silvertip badger with a large handle perfectly fitting my hand. Add to this the magnificence of a super performing shaving soap like Martin De Candre and the finishing touch of Floid Black, what I got is a a superb shave.​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Martin De Candre
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger Makassar Ebony, 26mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus Kamisori 5/8, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Black

20150316_SOTDS_zpsqdccywxh.jpg

Brush: Whipped Silvertip 24/48
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage (old formula)
Razor: Above the Tie R1 Kronos
Blade: PolSilver SI (3)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Managed to load only 2 passes on the brush - can't believe how different the old and new Stirling soaps behave - and how different my 2 WD brushes are. PolSilver started to pull a tiny bit at the end - but great 3 shaves. And I guess my 3 shaves with 4 passes each equal to 6 shaves of those who do only 2 passes - love the blade!

And I still have to say it every time: the post-shave feel with the olive oil is sensational - I still can't believe the difference!

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Wickham's South Sea Spray (HT @stillshunter)
Razor: NEW LC with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol

Finished the Wickhams sample and on to the next sample from tomorrow.
The NEW works very well with the Bulldog handle. Almost seems designed for it!
I'm also enjoying the EVOO post-shave. The skin absorbs the little amount very well. It'll be good over the dry Winter I'm guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.