Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Gillette Slim ADjustable (7)
Blade: Schick Platinum Plus (2)
Post-shave: Floid

So nice to get back to a decent lather and the A/S with bite!

Will stay away from the Aesop (see review here) for a while I think ....

Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm silvertip badger normal loft
Soap: Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba
Razor: Merkur 34
Blade: Derby (2)
Post-shave: Alum and Nivea Sensitive after shave balm

First shave with the Whipped Dog and I faced lathered. I will need to get used to who much water is the right amount but straight away I like the feel of the brush.

Only did a two pass shave and quick touch up but the brush still had heaps of lather left.

I brought the Nivea at the Supermarket and it felt good on the skin.

First shave with the Whipped Dog and I faced lathered. I will need to get used to who much water is the right amount but straight away I like the feel of the brush.
Great that it finally arrived! A solid badger brush is a lovely shaving took to have. Treat it right and it'll serve you for many years to come. Enjoy! [emoji4]

I brought the Nivea at the Supermarket and it felt good on the skin.
A popular aftershave balm. The current formulation no longer has the parabens that it used to have. It's lovely on the skin and is a reliable balm for use after shaving. [emoji106]

There's also an Aussie-made aftershave balm called "Natio for Men Cooling Aftershave Balm". About $10-12 from Chemist/Myer/DJs but it's 200ml cf 100ml for the Nivea. So it's better value.

Excited, sad and a little impatient is what I feel in the last days of a soap... [emoji14]

Oh, got it. So they are like the Feather "shavette" (SE) blades? Do they also come in a few different styles: Proguard, Super, Light, etc? How do they compare to the Feather SE blades?

Just curious, are all these SE blades able to fit into all SE razors like GEMS, Mongoose, Cobra, Hawk, etc?

In the first few shaves feather super pro are much more sharp. Placing the blade incorrectly could lead to your skin splitting like a tomato [emoji5]️ but after 3 shaves they both settle down nicely. After about 8 shaves I look to replace both.

Brush: 1305
Soap: SaverHeaven Aladdin
Razor: RRSS3
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: Agua Balsamica

Not much to say really, in short a damned fine shave indeed. Got to say this RRSS aint too bad at all....maybe @alfredus had a point after all.

What is the smell of Aladdin? I keep picturing in my head of Robin Williams doing an add for shaving soap.

What is the smell of Aladdin? I keep picturing in my head of Robin Williams doing an add for shaving soap.
Very spicy - in a North African sort of way. I pick out the likes of cardamom, garam marsala, maybe even cloves....very exotic, very nice indeed.

Morning DE shave:
cold water shave
soap - Palmolive shave stick in C&E wooden soap bowl
Brush: Simpson Berkeley
razor - Edwin Jagger DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum
post shave - olive oil
AS - home made DIY Bay Rum

Evening straight shave:
cold water shave
soap - Palmolive shave stick in C&E wooden soap bowl
Brush: Simpson Berkeley
razor - Dovo 5/8 SS straight
post shave: no olive oil tonight as my jar is in the office (my garage) to lube the paper shredder. Is there anything you can't do with olive oil?
AS - home made DIY Bay Rum

As I commented in my last SOTD post, something has really "clicked"/come together in my skin stretching/shave closeness with the straight. I have always loved using the straight (technique/skill/trial & error/ a fantastic looking razor) but this last week has been absolutely superb with the results finally matching my DE shaves.

Mastering the straight and now starting down the DIY AS path. Is there any better/more enjoyable pastime for a man than wet shaving?

The DIY Bay Rum smells pleasant enough but only stays for that 30-40 minutes (to me wearing it anyway). Looking forward to the new brew (sorry @razorguy , maceration I think was the correct term?? If I blew the term please remind me) that is due now in only 3 weeks and 6 days ... ... ... only; that's a big only.

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Strop Shoppe Date Night
Razor: NEW LC with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [3]
After-shave: Old Spice (Current formulation)

Starting a new soap sample from a large purchase last year: Strop Shoppe Special Edition soap with tallow "Date Night". Thoughts on it will be put into a separate thread for Strop Shoppe soaps in a few days.

Brush: Plisson synth
Soap/Cream: Strop Shoppe Date Night
Razor: NEW LC with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Super/Lab [3]
After-shave: Old Spice (Current formulation)

Starting a new soap sample from a large purchase last year: Strop Shoppe Special Edition soap with tallow "Date Night". Thoughts on it will be put into a separate thread for Strop Shoppe soaps in a few days.

...and the Frankenrazor?

Brush: GFT Super badger 3
Soap/Cream: Shaver heaven tobacco flower
Razor: Feather DX
Blade: KAI Pink (5)
After-shave: Proraso green splash

Brought my dx around to test out my dads new brush/soap. The GFT go two thumbs up! Fantastic handle and really nice knot. Soft tips, good backbone and a balanced density weighted towards good flow through. Shaver heaven was super creamy/slick with a nice scent.

Brush: Simpsons Classic 1
Razor: English Tech
Blade: Silver Blue (1)
Cream: GFT Sandalwood
A/S: GFT Skinfood
Just a nice, quick and easy shave. Haven't used the Tech for a while but as always it did a great job.

Music to my ears mate....another OCer! Hurrah....
Yeah. A conversion in the right direction. [emoji11]
Too bad you're starting to side with the Dark Side. That RRSS is luring you into slant territory... Be strong. Resist the temptation.

How's your slant ?

This morning's shave was brought to you by @filobiblic...

Anne Bonny Bay Rum, Merkur Progress, Personna Lab Blue (1), Omega 10066, Nivea S PSB

Thanks filo for the Anne Bonny sample, and the loan of the progress.

First shave with a progress... and... I LOVED IT! Maybe it was actually the fresh blade that I enjoyed so much, but that was a great shave. Used #3 for first 2 passes, then dialed it down to #1 for the touch ups. I often find it is the touch up stage that I aggregate myself, and so having the ability to tone it down for that final step was a big help.

That little piggy is taking its sweet time breaking in. I've had it for a while, but to speed up the process I've been using it exclusively for a couple of weeks now, and it's still not at full potential. I miss my other brushes...

This morning's shave was brought to you by @filobiblic...

Anne Bonny Bay Rum, Merkur Progress, Personna Lab Blue (1), Omega 10066, Nivea S PSB

Thanks filo for the Anne Bonny sample, and the loan of the progress.

First shave with a progress... and... I LOVED IT! Maybe it was actually the fresh blade that I enjoyed so much, but that was a great shave. Used #3 for first 2 passes, then dialed it down to #1 for the touch ups. I often find it is the touch up stage that I aggregate myself, and so having the ability to tone it down for that final step was a big help.

That little piggy is taking its sweet time breaking in. I've had it for a while, but to speed up the process I've been using it exclusively for a couple of weeks now, and it's still not at full potential. I miss my other brushes...

So what about Anne? She will be disappointed at such a small mention. Going by the way she's riding that cannon she'd used to centre stage.

So tell us about Dr Jons wonderful somewhat TMBR smell-alike

Status
Not open for further replies.