Not open for further replies.

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
A continuance from last years thread :)

As we wave goodbye to 2014 with mixed emotions and welcome in 2015, no doubt many of us are thinking about New Years resolutions.

A lot of the time we are living our lives abiding by an invisible script, written by our circumstance, peers, parents, friends, family and trends in mainstream media.
It flows all the way down through to what we eat, what we wear, how we act, who we date, where we work, what we study, what we drive and so much more.
So if there are things you want to change in 2015, then you need to change the script.
If you don't change it, then nothing is ever going change.
You've got to really mess with it and you can start with little things.
Drive a different way home.
Try a different food.
Book that trip to Japan.
Learn that instrument.
Date outside your comfort zone.
Reconnect and reconcile with your family.
Do a track day.
Do a course outside your skill set.
Read a book and start utilising that knowledge how YOU want.

Forget what the Internet says you have to do - you're the one who has to live with you every single day of your life.
You don't need loads of cash to achieve most of above and anyone who says otherwise is lacking true spirit.
One of the most memorable experiences I've ever had was taking a train trip to the Central Coast, and that cost $15 for a day trip that would change my life.

So my well wishes and advice for 2015?
Ask questions.
Make mistakes.
Ask some more.
Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.
There is no true, all encompassing and entirely accurate step by step guide on how to live life that encompasses everyone.
Just get outside and make something and make it your own.
Everyone is on their own road learning their own way, and as they say, if you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.
Adversity has this incredible way of teaching us about ourselves and hi-lighting different aspects of who we are.

So take a chance.
Keep learning.

Wishing you all an amazing, safe and urbex filled 2015.

6d50f84c4130cd35ee69ffc90084b8e9.jpg

Welcomed the new year with Green Irish Tweed!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak re-knotted with TGN Finest by @Pjotr
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Company - Black Cherry
Razor: Gillette #58
Blade: P74 shave ?
After-shave: Lucky Tiger

I figured I'd start the year with something new, the Stirling sample from @filobiblic. I'd mushed it into the bottom of an empty Proraso red container.

Now I know that @Nick the Knife and others say it is the performance that matters not the scent, yet some people still resist the lure of the Italian soaps because of the almond/marzipan smell despite the performance.

No almond scent here, just black cherry. Lots of black cherry. Imagine drowning in a vat of Cherry Cola, black cherry. This stuff smells of Black Cherry!!!!!

The soap lathers well and gives decent glide but I just can't get over the scent, it is overpowering and lingering. Lathering for the second pass just reinforced the impression.

I couldn't think of an aftershave to compete with the black cherry so went with the innocuous Lucky Tiger. As a result sitting here 15 minutes or so post shave I can still get the occasional hint of - black cherry :(

So grab some Stirling for performance - but watch the scents!

On another note - this will be the last appearance of the P74. Still going OK I suppose but not great and I will enjoy a replacement for the New Year. Really glad I was able to give it a run but underwhelmed based on this blade.

Happy shaving people :)

So, not a fan of black cherry? [emoji51]
Probably better than the anise (liquorice) scent though...

So, not a fan of black cherry? [emoji51]
Probably better than the anise (liquorice) scent though...
The Tuscany is quite a nice scent. I'll concede the glide is very good but I'd have preferred a more protective, cushioned lather and maybe even a nicer post shave face feel. So a good soap but not outstanding IMHO. Having said that, for the money it's a great proposition for those fallen on tougher times.

The Tuscany is quite a nice scent. I'll concede the glide is very good but I'd have preferred a more protective, cushioned lather and maybe even a nicer post shave face feel. So a good soap but not outstanding IMHO. Having said that, for the money it's a great proposition for those fallen on tougher times.
Sorry @Mark1966 - it seems as if I gave @stillshunter the tour of the Italian countryside, whilst you had the taste of America trip.

Sorry @Mark1966 - it seems as if I gave @stillshunter the tour of the Italian countryside, whilst you had the taste of America trip.

LOL - very funny :)

Yeah I could imagine the anise (liquorice) being like in a vat of sarsaparilla!

Certainly worth a try and I will give it another go to test the soap's effectiveness but after that it will be passed on ...

Now the Dr Jon's though - the Ann Bonny and Classic look very, very interesting ....

Yep that's what @filobiblic needs to hear on day ne of his 365 year sabbatical!
Already on the way Stillsy... About to board a plane for this direction. [emoji41]

I'm with you @Mark1966 - they sound great! I think you'd like the Classic with the hint of lime.

Already on the way Stillsy... About to board a plane for this direction. [emoji41]

I'm with you @Mark1966 - they sound great! I think you'd like the Classic with the hint of lime.

So you have purchased some?

Very tempted - and it is still 2014 there so it would be pre-sabbatical ....

So you have purchased some?

Very tempted - and it is still 2014 there so it would be pre-sabbatical ....
Are you joining us on sabbatical @Mark1966?

I bought some yesterday (see "In the Post" thread; it's my declaration of what's bought and in the mail). I got: Anne Bonny, Classic, Hex and Big Green Monster. Thought I'd give them a go since they sound good and look interesting. 20% off at the moment, although postage is always the issue...

I think I'll start a new thread for the soap.

Are you joining us on sabbatical @Mark1966?

The - what you buy must be funded by what you sell sabbatical maybe :) Just wish people would but my EoY lots!!!!!

I bought some yesterday (see "In the Post" thread; it's my declaration of what's bought and in the mail). I got: Anne Bonny, Classic, Hex and Big Green Monster. Thought I'd give them a go since they sound good and look interesting. 20% off at the moment, although postage is always the issue...

I think I'll start a new thread for the soap.

Ahhh yes I see. Very tempted by the Ann Bonny and Classic, it is in my cart but the postage doubles the cost and I do have the MdC, Mikes, Jabonman to try already ....

Ahhh yes I see. Very tempted by the Ann Bonny and Classic, it is in my cart but the postage doubles the cost and I do have the MdC, Mikes, Jabonman to try already ....
Wow! MdC, Mikes and Jabonman... That's an all-star line up right there! Happy 2015 indeed. [emoji106][emoji1]

New year, a new blade as is my tradition.

Pulled out a Le Francais Wilkinson, replacing the previous one. Yes, they are that good.

Otherwise, had the normal spread - Fatboy, Proraso, Vulfix #374.

Hope you all aren't feeling as seedy as I am today.

Brush: Omega 31025 'Scarlatti'
Soap/Cream: P.160
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: English Wilkie
After-shave: Floid 'Vigoroso'

Special occasion being the first shave of the year so I broke out the P.160 - that's my plan with both this and the SIM. The Omega and P.160 just work so right together - must be some cultural memory there. This stuff has been around for an age so what eludes soapmakers who cannot best it - I'd expect P.160 level at minimum from our soaps of today. Anyway, found the Wilkinson Sword in the drawer - says "Made in England" - so I'm going with English Wilkie. Was smooth on the first and second pass, but didn't quite bite enough on the third, needed a fourth and still not BBS in the chin/neck region. I remember not getting on with these blades last time., but this was better; very good just not great. But no blood or irritation (so far) so pretty happy. Floid, I like a lot!

Happy New Year fellas and keep the buying down to a minimum hey!

Brush: Omega 31025 'Scarlatti'
Soap/Cream: P.160
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: English Wilkie
After-shave: Floid 'Vigoroso'

Special occasion being the first shave of the year so I broke out the P.160 - that's my plan with both this and the SIM. The Omega and P.160 just work so right together - must be some cultural memory there. This stuff has been around for an age so what eludes soapmakers who cannot best it - I'd expect P.160 level at minimum from our soaps of today. Anyway, found the Wilkinson Sword in the drawer - says "Made in England" - so I'm going with English Wilkie. Was smooth on the first and second pass, but didn't quite bite enough on the third, needed a fourth and still not BBS in the chin/neck region. I remember not getting on with these blades last time., but this was better; very good just not great. But no blood or irritation (so far) so pretty happy. Floid, I like a lot!

Happy New Year fellas and keep the buying down to a minimum hey!

In due to run out of aftershave soon. What's your interpretation of the floid scent?

In due to run out of aftershave soon. What's your interpretation of the floid scent?
Old school powdery barbershop scent.

Sweeter than other old-timers like Tabac, Old Spice, Blue Stratos, I really like the sting, the post-sting feel and the dry-down scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.