Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: SuperMax Ultimate 3 Menthol Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Found this cream in putting together the PCTB3a yesterday, thought I should add it into the showdown. How did it compare? See here: Mini Menth Showdown

12670253_10204263150377397_6275361027780334118_n.jpg

Fuck it is good to be home.

I hate travelling for work. Full stop. There is no romance. It's just some other place away from the stuff I like, doing shit I don't!

First time trying out baume.be. I like this stuff. Like it a lot. Be keen for a tub of my very own, I reckon.

Filarmonica came fresh off the stones. Had three days growth so the first few strokes had some tugging. I thought I'd failed. But as usual with a coticule - and especially the Le Dressante - it aint as sharp but just so smooth. First pass had a little tugging but subsequent passes were stress-free. No sting in the tail of the alum block. Yeah a hone off synthetics or JNats would have found less tugging and possibly a foreskin of a bee's dick closer, but I contend not such a calm result.

tJKITGgFc-I6Srs1OXKpUmfpLVM-In4ThC_rmqkYMbknGMIJnxfIRNq-fuB2NSjb3fX9-FPzAmYNeV46teeuH612KsaGtiKde3kU5nByxUYEuDDqO_XXfowelKkKDrYVfQC8ZnK4ZyIyFcLAXiOOA4iMlewK2l7pDW4C-B5NB9ISUfsgKLQNlM22ZvLW1aQVkyXWqzSSnVfURDn4s1GjeeKZHUsWraf4PI3z9BIzcR9Coe7riZfFSoVBmd03JFH5CGiTyAMwuSR56wuAXV5AxkhzqI_2dPNDlVWMb9VR3gbtWCID8mOUd58uBXAJ2QBrM5V2hsMRoGNmu0ql4kBwIhnxOeF16FrKCyK1rgqdgYyUxBq1ChIfFo4osfOcz5aJSUf7GHrWTdC9X3VYcElf9IPIBJB2jPLRPNNN0p-HcOErHt9S5-hHGbRffnLtKoFpsNDXjZ7L2hPJ8uOmstSS2DDchri5_FlTwZiUY_jUnRZMSpLtqIJCuqo-hLB2gwr8qQ1kuhPRkgen1bg6ABAwA2cLN-mzJgL0C6cXxHGeaiBAgYk33JpLPQHmuolvJ1voRh71=w490-h381-no

In the world of high end chefs knives, for 2-3 decades the Japanese have been pushing their outstanding metallurgy skills to the max, trying to create a stainless steel alloy that provides performance close to their brilliant carbon steel alloys : white paper #1, blue paper #2 and Aogami Super. The current king of the hill is an alloy they call VG10 Gold, and it certainly makes an excellent chefs knife. Funny thing is that for decades Henckels have been making stainless steel razors that perform nearly identically to carbon steel razors. No specially named alloys or any particular hoopla, just excellent extra hollow ground stainless razors. The first time I shaved with my Henckels 250 I was genuinely amazed - an oustanding razor and an outstanding shave,

And so it continues - todays shave brought back that feeling of amazement, and treated me to such a close result that I won't be able to stop feeling my face all day :) It certainly deserved a generous squirt of my very finest - Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.

Happy shaves all :)

Sword: Takemaru
Suds: Fauldings Shave / Omega S10108
Salve: Myrsol Metilsol

I once again implore you to give Shave a try if you haven't done so already. It's punching about five divisions above its weight and could well be the best cream on the market, all things considered. The trick is to use a little more cream than is usual and to work it for a fairly long time. The result is outstanding!

The trick is to use a little more cream than is usual and to work it for a fairly long time. The result is outstanding!

I find the same with Shave or the Godrej Menthol mist. For me maybe 20% more and then just work it. I sat watching TV tonight so a longer straight shave was not on for me so out came the Gem Jewel. That is the most extraordinary SE razor. :) If you place it on your skin you are using too much pressure. It has so much of the feeling of a straight razor.

Godrej Menthol Mist
Chinese $8.85 SS Synthetic brush - Fantastic
Gem Jewel - The ultimate SE and nearly a straight.
Witch hazel

Sunday 7 February 2016

227529d1454865008-sun-january-07th-sat-february-13th-sotd-07022016.jpg

Traveling with My First Mastro Livi

I am still traveling and yesterday morning I found in a mall this Wilkinson Sword Shaving Soap and, you know it, I bought it. I am very curious about trying every soap or aftershave I happen to see in shops and, although this one is considered a sort of classic shaving soap, I admit I never had the chance to personally try it also because it is not so easy to find it in Italy. This soap is not so bad, however I would not consider it a top notch soap, however it is a good basic soap providing enough cushion and slicking effect, but I find it to lack in the moisturizing effect. As for fragrance, it is what you would get from an "old fashioned" shaving soap, however I like it.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Wilkinson Sword Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush 10275
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Damasteel Blue Tongue, 7/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson x 2
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Company - Glacial Obsidian & Stirling Soap Company - Glacial Obsidian
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

WOW, want some menthol guys? Yes I used two soaps in the one shave. How? Why? See here: Mini Menth Showdown

Soap: B&M Bay Rum
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Muhle r41 2013
Blade: Personna lab blue (2)
Post-shave: alum + Captain's Choice Lime aftershave

Second shave in a row with the 41 (sat night and now mon morning). Seriously close shave. No major irritation yet... Hopefully can keep this up. A slight sting from the alum.

I've been shaving lots with mild razors, and so I thought it was time to remind myself of the basics in technique, and what better way to do that than with a muhle r41. I certainly feel exfoliated ;) It bit me once each shave, but nothing major. This morning was a tiny nick on my Adam's apple.

Three passes and no touch ups needed. The r41 mows down the hairs and leaves no survivors. But I'm going very very slowly... normally I whip around my face with something like a asd2 without thinking twice about technique or anything.

e329dcebc1f7d3c98450605a2f2f8863.jpg

St James of London sample packs
- Mandarin & Patchouli pre shave oil
- Mandarin & Patchouli shaving cream
Omega Boar
Muhle R41 (2011) on UFO TiTan handle
Personna Vintage blade (#3)
Thayer's Lemon
Myrsol Antesol
The Stray Whisker ASB
Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta EDT

The pre-shave oil is a new experience for me. Wow is all I can say! Face feels awesome.

20160208_082622 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: PAA Ice preshave soap
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: PannaCrema San Francesco
Post Shave: Razorock Lime Balm and 4711 AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. The PannaCrema soap is impressive. Excellent cushion and slickness, but the post shave is one of the best. Really didn't need a balm as the face just felt smooth and moisturised after rinsing off.

e329dcebc1f7d3c98450605a2f2f8863.jpg

St James of London sample packs
- Mandarin & Patchouli pre shave oil
- Mandarin & Patchouli shaving cream
Omega Boar
Muhle R41 (2011) on UFO TiTan handle
Personna Vintage blade (#3)
Thayer's Lemon
Myrsol Antesol
The Stray Whisker ASB
Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta EDT

The pre-shave oil is a new experience for me. Wow is all I can say! Face feels awesome.

UFO Titan handle is on my wishlist. Any chance of a sale/trade?

33C5y6PloY9DWHD-nBZDIPWca17HqVTJT5Td6vQ-nWLFb6nzdN9rkwv1SqPPjgF5Y1Az555dbFVVBF2dV35DHcSzMDS-3J6c1tJ2VHHEGjwhcK5JORItcl2JKQ0ggKWG5n9j86vhVl-OhpkD8evEZG8lJRI9lvTdaEV-BRgTHpSZMV6a__w8ziOkmUcHibDZlIm-7cAHkX_40DO93srun5osSu0Y7f0PdbeZuQfas88CaJBS5BVJKYX8CLAeZfPZkEqYnFKyWlOxaZTwVxxBLsJOTLFa2Ak5-UnX4ne7vIMkNzRzUWC5vHos-V8rjLrQdowg6tvZcjNJ2RbLr7qMbQsotZlbuFHSb_MGJ8Sh-_oe8zY04W2iaNVGjcTk4wYAMd_A4vujy-2kk4SFb8aVaIScJngkeRYBUaRO6RhRIQedqb6tGvyBs5lQpKEqW-6GzaqpRMkJr-D7u4w8ecqnGFP_d-E2dK2jv4OIJ1apx3DtwEmijElA3W0Ox8Y2vEbeKF2EVTyz01lDMT4uPiWH2tsvq--tfw0FiFFGnH38QoyVVsz6s-vKYxGj7JmzjKgrfkJK=w668-h544-no

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush : Simpson's Chubby #1
Soap : Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavendar
Razor : Tanifuji RikiShia (Rickshaw)
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamico

As @MrT observed so well recently, "It's great to be a man". I can definitely empathise with his opinion after a shave like today's. For me it was pure enjoyment from start to finish. Every week I half-heartedly promise myself "a few days break" so I can have the intense pleasure of turning a few days growth into a perfectly clean, smooth, sculpted face. And every week impatience gets the better of me....

Our one and only @Lifes a Peach kindly brought me back a brilliant little gift from his island holiday - a perfect wee bowl made from a coconut shell. It's apparently supposed to be a Kava drinking bowl, but as my photo shows, it's just perfect as a bowl for storing and lathering samples of soap. Finally a good solution to the proliferation of samples in my shaving cabinet.

The Tanifuji continued my recent "golden run" of beautifully close shaves, and did so with the same high comfort levels i've been enjoying lately. Life is definitely good right now. I slopped on some Agua Balsamica to calm everything down until I decided on a fragrance that suits the mood and the day. Maybe Terre d'Hermes....

Status
Not open for further replies.