Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Right on the stroke of midnight here - so happy New Year guys.

May 2016 bring you joy and many great shaves - all posted here of course!

Anyway, back on topic ;) [didn't take long to stray did it really - second post in!]

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch AS2
Soap/Cream: Le Pere Lucien
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (4)
Post-shave: Le Pere Lucien
Cologne: Penhaligon's Halfeti

Great start to the New Year. The AS2 is probably my largest brush in active use - I need to remember that when loading.

Much more than two passes of rich, yoghurty lather today. The LPL post shave has a great feel and who could NOT like the scent of a $A300 cologne!

Maybe I will not suffer too much in this sabbatical year ...

Best wishes to all for the New Year!

[EDIT: Shave followed up by maple infused bacon and eggs on wholemeal country grain toast with smashed avocado and I'm sitting here sipping my coffee from my moka pot. Great start to the year!]

Last edited:
q0NCsGk.jpg

Awesome New Year's Day shave using some of my favourite hardware (Muhle R41 2011 on UFO TiTan handle and Omega Boar brush) and some software samples courtesy of Con K.

The St James of London Cedarwood and Clarysage shaving cream was amazingly slick and creamy. The Stray Whisker ASB also extremely good. The scent is fresh and clean. Face feels great.

Happy New Year to all.

A new year, a new blade.

Brush:
Plissitane
Soap: The never ending sample: Reef Point 'Dragons Blood'
Razor: Fatboy E3 (5)
Blade: SPOILER! (0)

Decided to start the year out right with a fresh Spoiler. Dragon's Blood starting to get harder to load now that it is finally starting to disappear. Still a good shave though.

Welcome to the new year.

Sharp: Schick Type E2 / Personna Injector (2)
Slip: B&M Latha / Omega S10108
Soothe: Nivea ASB

These rainwater shaves are supremely invigorating. If all my shaves this year are as good as this one I'll be a very happy shaver.

Merry new year everybody!

Sharp: Feather AS D2S/Vintage Gold Pils, Polsilver Si (3)
Slip: Vie Long Epsilon white horse hair, De Vergulde Hand (means Gilded Hand)
Soothe: Nivea Sensitive ASB, Stirling Bay Laurel

Worryingly, there's discolouration upon the handle of the Feather, where it sits in the stand.
The stand does have a substantial drainage hole.
Thought it's supposed to be stainless.
Removed the blade for inspection and no discolouration upon the blade or head plates.
Decided while the blades out, to try it in the Pils.
Glad I did, an exceptionally smooth shave, even with the Polsilver nearing the end of it's life.

Vie Long Epsilon I suspect is not fully broken in, so reserving final judgement until another dozen uses or so.
Speaking of brushes, how long do synth's tend to take before they're broken in, if indeed they do go through that cycle ?
Guilded hand performed beautifully and has quite the subdued scent that some would I suspect, quite enjoy.
It is worthy of picking up a tub or stick of to give a go.

Finished with a cold rinse in the shower (you're now picturing me naked showering :p) and completed it with Nivea Sensitive ASB did it's job and Stirling Bay Laurel is beautifully scented.
Overall, a DFS to start the year with.

20160101_SOTDSBW_zpszsnvtymf.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: RudyVey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I wish you all a fantastic 2016 (y)(y)(y)

gwmQNuh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Pre-Post Balm
Brush: Semogue #1305
Soap: Mikes Natural Soaps Peppermint & Rosemary
Razor: Kirby Beard (wavy)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword [5]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula K
After-shave: #ShavetheMan The Stray Whisker ASB

I've never heard of a Kirby Beard razor before. Still things to learn it seems...
Good post with info here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/240191-The-razors-of-Kirby-Beard-and-Company

Don't worry about learning too much - @filobiblic has the market in these covered ...

Brush: Simpsons Tulip 1
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Cream: European Palmolive
A/S: Alt Innsbruck

Simple, elegant SOTD - nice!

I've never heard of a Kirby Beard razor before. Still things to learn it seems...
Good post with info here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/240191-The-razors-of-Kirby-Beard-and-Company
We've been discussing it last month I think. You must have been away. [emoji6]

Wavy as opposed to flat ?

My, my, what a poser .... ;)
Wavy top cap as opposed to smooth top cap. It's the wavy top cap that's makes the Kirby Beard so distinctive.

Don't worry about learning too much - @filobiblic has the market in these covered ...
I wish! They are brilliant razors - lovely looks, weight and balance. There's not too many around and they often out of my price range. I've got the scraps compared to what's out there. [emoji6]

.... I've got the scraps compared to what's out there. [emoji6]

At least you have scraps, closest I come is a beaten up uncased Leresche ...

Friday 1 January 2016

223209d1451666865-sun-december-27th-sat-january-02nd-sotd-01012016.jpg

New Year's Day Shave

Everytime I shave I always think a lot about what to pick for shaving. Which razor - this is easy as I usually end up picking a Mastro Livi - which soap or cream, which aftershave, which brush. Everytime I shave I always think I have too many soaps and I really mean this. I think I now have about one hundred different soaps, to which are added the ones I personally make. For this reason, everytime it is very hard to pick one but I have to make a decision. This time I opted for this Geo. F. Trumper Spanish Leather Shaving Cream and I admit I liked it, fragrance in particular. I also opted for this very special Mastro Livi razor, a very limited edition of which have been made just three of them. It was in fact made in occasion of the meet up we had with a bunch of fellow wet shavers in Perugia at Mastro Livi's laboratory one year ago - 13.12.2014 is the date of the meet up, 13 december 2014 - and this is the razor made for celebrating that event. A great straight razor made of stainless steel, a super performer, super smooth and velvety, for an impeccable shave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush #49 Red
  • Bowl: Bamboo Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "Perugia 13.12.14", 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Suavecito Bay Rum

Status
Not open for further replies.