Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday 3 February 2016

226983d1454513381-sun-january-31th-sat-february-06th-sotd-03022016.jpg

My First Mastro Livi

This is my very first Mastro Livi, the one which introduced me into high quality of shaving and made by this incredible Italian craftsman. I bought this razor in April 2013 and, as of today, it never needed any honing, not even a pass on any paste. It shaves like the first time and it amazes me more and more. I have always followed Mastro Livi's wise advises on how to maintain a straight razor, that is his loom strop and hand palm, and it works. This razor is made of Damasteel Blue Tongue pattern - as far as I know, a discontinued pattern - and scales are made of cobalt buckeye burl, a color not available anymore. These two factors make this razor even more special, not to mention the fact it still gives a super smooth and velvety shave, close and impeccable, even though three years have passed since the day I bought it and never honed or refreshed its edge. Simply amazing!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Cella Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush 48
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Damasteel Blue Tongue, 7/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: L'Erbolario Vetiver Hamamelis Aftershave Lotion

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Vintage distressed butterscotch Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Shaving Yeti - Yeti Snot
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

For more details see here: Mini Menth Showdown

20160204_084441 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven emulsion
Razor: Merkur Barberpole 38C
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Strewth by PAA
Post Shave: Stray Whisker Balm and Strewth AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. This is a very thirsty soap, takes plenty of water but is an excellent performer and I do like the scent very much. The Merkur is a very efficient razor, did a great job. Smooth day ahead.

KNqIIocl.jpg

Brush: Semogue #1305
Soap: Antiga Barbearia de Barro
Razor: Bengal 5/8 (courtesy of @stillshunter)
After-shave: PAA Al Fin

Many thanks to @stillshunter for the loan of the razor. He'd honed it on one of his coticules for me to try - it was certainly smooth and comfortable IMO. Early days but I'm certainly liking the coticule edges!

The aftershave was superb! I think the PAA aftershaves are perhaps some of the best artisanal AS out there. The scent is fantastic and lasts for hours, there is often a decent hit of menthol (although not all have it), and the skin is left feeling so silky. I highly recommend them. I got mine via a juggle with Shipito, but I've just noted that The Stray Whisker has taken delivery of some!!! So very soon we'll be able to buy them here in Oz. (y) I can't wait...

wAXNZKk2zVKEW7XSqfzpiUi-I8c5QhLZEurXTwbfbZesRwgGFXkGw4m55ghOc4RRt35Nds9kZbqA0Vbd9c5U_1kxrXBUmL9euyfuFbuavMdyw5dPJXC_a9XwymAEeZ2eVREVCUYUYQJ-dO_Y3H-Ni3aaXRinQVf8PWotpOF4eOtAZcjlRYmjrMqHJ6VKRLVMsxgslJ1c6yc3n04kusWj6ZNn_WJSnEken55Pn8oitr2kgne7YGoOvZZ8jYLHD6-Lg8oAXjlRMLgNI4r-SyWwoInTaS0itjiYS1ByB9nnNb6IHSWexOhWI315M8xtIwotT3XITvsg6QvcIQCrPCTKx_IL-IKrTcJqQb3sDB5B-BVduCSyBT9UM-bjEILVHQNfB7dqNDhblwLThTGX27fEdAsoCDfOLHhtdNos3M1B1f1TRaBuF7F3FgdZTdqO1yOeJockyM8GdNAXqPAFviDHDx0psy4pVzwTrz6eBzMMRggNvupC3aebiMmWH-rytemAkm3KjjZeHNFg6pprcKwpfYVU20bDx_RyLYZkHtsdTXEf4WvXJ0lflrs2D_QfXFEpWkSK=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Menthol Lime Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson La Maison du Barbier
Soap : Mystic Water Irish Traveller
Razor : Hoshitombo 8000
After Shave : Myrsol Antesol

Really enjoyable shave today. Brilliant lather with great scent from the Irish Traveller soap - like quite a few others, I'm seriously satisfied with Mystic Water soaps. My much loved Hoshitombo 8000 took care of the mowing department. This was the razor that first kindled my love of straight shaving, and it will always have a special place in my lineup. That plus the fact that it shaves like a dream and seems to hold a superb edge near indefinitely (y) I finished up with Myrsol's excellent Antesol. It's the least used of my Myrsol products, and I'm not sure why. It leads off with a somewhat citrus fragrance rather than the more usual Myrsol thyme based herbal approach, before mellowing down to a more traditional fragrance. I must remember to give it a trot more often...

I finished up with Myrsol's excellent Antesol. It's the least used of my Myrsol products, and I'm not sure why. It leads off with a somewhat citrus fragrance rather than the more usual Myrsol thyme based herbal approach, before mellowing down to a more traditional fragrance. I must remember to give it a trot more often...
It's possibly my favourite Myrsol aftershave and mine gets used the most. [emoji6]
Hint: I find it pairs well with Terre D'Hermes

KNqIIocl.jpg

Brush: Semogue #1305
Soap: Antiga Barbearia de Barro
Razor: Bengal 5/8 (courtesy of @stillshunter)
After-shave: PAA Al Fin

Many thanks to @stillshunter for the loan of the razor. He'd honed it on one of his coticules for me to try - it was certainly smooth and comfortable IMO. Early days but I'm certainly liking the coticule edges!

The aftershave was superb! I think the PAA aftershaves are perhaps some of the best artisanal AS out there. The scent is fantastic and lasts for hours, there is often a decent hit of menthol (although not all have it), and the skin is left feeling so silky. I highly recommend them. I got mine via a juggle with Shipito, but I've just noted that The Stray Whisker has taken delivery of some!!! So very soon we'll be able to buy them here in Oz. (y) I can't wait...
Glad you enjoyed it mate. I am a convert.
Happy to help anyone who dares taste my coticule edge. (y)

Last edited:
20160204_SOTDS_zpsrknty7wh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: PolSilver SI (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Lather: Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, Ghanese Organic Unrefined Shea Butter​

A beautiful shave today - happy man!

Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Company - Glacial Obsidian

Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Company - Glacial Obsidian

Have you ever thought that by the end of this (1) your face will be permanently half frozen due to the menthol and it won't be as effective and (2) you'll be as addicted to menthol at @borked @eggbert @thisISjoel et al ??? [emoji14]

Have you ever thought that by the end of this (1) your face will be permanently half frozen due to the menthol and it won't be as effective and (2) you'll be as addicted to menthol at @borked @eggbert @thisISjoel et al ??? [emoji14]

Oh dear!

That would NOT be a good outcome as we head into the Canberra winter ...

2bNk5xUl.jpg

Brush: Shavemac #177
Soap: I Colonaili Mango Shaving Cream
Razor: Gillette #58
Blade: Polsilver [2]
After-shave: Floïd Vigoroso

The I Colonaili is a beautiful soap. A strong and distinct scent (it is warm, rich and spicy). Finishing with the strong Vigoroso, it made for a delightful shave.

20160205_083727 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top seven Emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Chiseled Face Trade Winds
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Alt Innsbruck Cologne.
Two pass shave with a clean up. That's six days in a row I have shaved. Never done that before, ever. The cartridges would irritate me that much I would shave only every second day. After six days of shaving the face is smooth and irritation free. Evidence that this the correct way to shave. The Alt Innsbruck is such a wonderful scent.

2bNk5xUl.jpg

Brush: Shavemac #177
Soap: I Colonaili Mango Shaving Cream
Razor: Gillette #58
Blade: Polsilver [2]
After-shave: Floïd Vigoroso

The I Colonaili is a beautiful soap. A strong and distinct scent (it is warm, rich and spicy). Finishing with the strong Vigoroso, it made for a delightful shave.

nice looking shave and nice shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.