Not open for further replies.
Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre
: Blind Barber face wash
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best
Razor: Muhle R41 on iKon OSS handle
Blade: PolSilver SI

Round 2 with the R41 and it's even better than the first time. :love::love::love:
A true BBS with no irritation apart from one weeper due to cocky buffing (warning: do not google that phrase).
I find that I like feeling the blade on my face. It focuses me and I get a significantly better shave. Does this mean I'd like a straight razor? (Sudden visions of spending even more money on straights, strops and bloody stones:eek: Must resist.)

Pre Shave: - Proraso white
Razor: - Mekur 30c
Blade: - Feather (1)
Brush: - Razorock Bruce (First use)
Soap/Cream: - SH Barber Shop
Post Shave: - SH Barber Shop

1116c370d7d6b56e28013a8f36788ff2.jpg

Dam that brush is soft & amazing! Had a bottomless supply of lather held in it! So glad i ordered one. I did like the stiffness of my old Mens-ü brush but its crap compared to this Razorock!

Last edited:
Razor: EJ DE86
Blade: Derby
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: Proraso Green(May Madness - will it ever end?)
After: TN Dickinson WH with Aloe Vera

Decided to go back and have another go with the Derby blades now that I am a bit more experienced.
Is it really a shitty blade? I have to now say no. It's not a great blade, but certainly the first shave back was a DFS.
Would I use this as a regular blade? Probably not - Astra are cheaper and nicer. Even Shark can do one good shave.

I think perhaps this is not a good blade for a beginner to start with, but certainly once your prep and technique improves it is a serviceable blade. Not sure that I'll get 3 shaves out of it, but at least the first one was good :)

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre
: Blind Barber face wash
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best
Razor: Muhle R41 on iKon OSS handle
Blade: PolSilver SI

Round 2 with the R41 and it's even better than the first time. :love::love::love:
A true BBS with no irritation apart from one weeper due to cocky buffing (warning: do not google that phrase).
I find that I like feeling the blade on my face. It focuses me and I get a significantly better shave. Does this mean I'd like a straight razor? (Sudden visions of spending even more money on straights, strops and bloody stones:eek: Must resist.)

@Psmith what's the Martin de Candre Fougere scent like I mean really because I'm thinking about ordering another Martin de Candre in Fougere scent ;)

I love it. It's hard to describe: a sweet herbal scent maybe? Very clean and fresh. @silver will be able to describe it more clearly. Highly recommended.
Here we go @SpeedyPC, my attempt to convert the scent into words.

It's got a very nice green floral woody powder scent to it, a lot like medicinal herbs with a small touch citrus. But that kind of herbs that you would break you leg again just to get that herb applied onto your broken leg again just to get a whiff of the herb.

For me, the best part of enjoy the scent any soap is not the actual face lathering part (although you get a very good whiff of the Scent during face lathering), but when you are done with your pass and you have some left over lather on your face, you scoop some fresh clean water using two hands and you wash and rub that residue lather on your face. The scent amplifies greatly here. I get scents of a great combination of flowers, herbs and wood.

From what I have read on many forums, people have commented that fougere's scent is stronger than the scented MdC. I like it so much, I'm going to get some fougere bath bars once it's done curing.

Here we go @SpeedyPC, my attempt to convert the scent into words.

It's got a very nice green floral woody powder scent to it, a lot like medicinal herbs with a small touch citrus. But that kind of herbs that you would break you leg again just to get that herb applied onto your broken leg again just to get a whiff of the herb.

For me, the best part of enjoy the scent any soap is not the actual face lathering part (although you get a very good whiff of the Scent during face lathering), but when you are done with your pass and you have some left over lather on your face, you scoop some fresh clean water using two hands and you wash and rub that residue lather on your face. The scent amplifies greatly here. I get scents of a great combination of flowers, herbs and wood.

From what I have read on many forums, people have commented that fougere's scent is stronger than the scented MdC. I like it so much, I'm going to get some fougere bath bars once it's done curing.

@silver from what I've read careful twice from you're comments, you've given me no choice to add Martin de Candre Fougere scent to my next month shopping list........Darn! and I believe you @Psmith ;)

What an experience :)

Having a modicum of confidence in my limited ability I picked up the folding Kamisori style from @Draco Noir without putting a fresh blade in my SE razor - [just in case]. I even left the blade in its cardboard protector. :) Such wild confidence :)
While the blade on this type of razor is scary sharp it surprisingly feels [to me] a bit dull. Believe me it isn't. I found the angle was slightly different with each side of the blade and once I adjusted to that the whiskers flew.
As this is my first full 2 pass shave with this razor style I confess to using too much pressure so I do have a warmish glow and some irritation - but - 2 passes and DFS+ so pretty pleased.

Brush Plisson
Soap @alfredus / @bald as as soap workshop. [For me it is lousy for a bowl but excellent for face lathering and as a bonus very nice for straight razor shaving.
Blade - Kamasori style folder thanks to @Draco Noir

I did knick myself a couple of times but that will stop when I get used to the razor.

Steve

Sunday 22 May 2016

237183d1463920720-sun-may-22nd-sat-may-28th-sotd-22052016.jpg

Mastro Livi K720, 7/8 Full Hollow, Square Point

What a refreshing shave! My Thyrrenus aftershave is incredible in giving a super cooling and freezing effect on the skin, the ideal touch for this sunny and warm spring day. The shave was super smooth and close, thanks to the roundness of this Mastro Livi K720 razor, a carbon steel giving on the skin a pleasing sensation. It is not as round as K600 carbon steel, however you can tell it is not stainless steel. The Aguzzeria del Cavallo confirms to be a very good shaving soap, one of the best Italian shaving soaps around, too bad you can get it only by visiting their shop in Bologna. Excellent soap with a charming almond aroma, absolutely Italian touch.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Aguzzeria del Cavallo
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Super Silvertip, Padouk Handle, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Mastro Livi Olive Wood Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi K720, 7/8 Full Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: Wolfwhiskers Ubersoft II
Soap: DR Jon Anne Bonny sample
Razor: iKon B1 Slant
Blade: Voskhod

Synth Sunday. The Wolf had no issues whipping up a fine lather from Dr Jon's. @Sxot, you are right, the scent of this red haired pirate soap is amazing. It opened up once you lather it up. Such an amazing soap. I'm glad I ordered a sample through TSW, looking to get one some time in the future. Smooth and safe shave with the voskhod in a slant. Finished off with the amazing plastic shave. Can't get enough of this stuff.

Haha thanks @alfredus you are too kind. Do you mean the inscription? No wheel of time fans here? Can't beat that envy shave of yours.
Now you are too kind - nope, don't know anything about wheel of time :cry:

aUNHa3h.jpg

22/05/16

Muhle R89 / Astra SP
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green
National Alum (India) / TN Dickinson's WH / LEA ASB Sensitive​

Its been an unusually mild evening today in Melbourne, therefore I decided to put Proraso Green into use one last time before Winter kicks-in. It delivered a great refreshing shave as usual.

Its only the 7th time I've used the Semogue 1438 - Its definitely breaking in much faster in comparison to my 1305. However, I recently noticed that fine cracks are beginning appear in the painted enamel, just near the metal ring. That's a real bummer considering I've had this brush for about one month and it has only been used 7 times. I didn't think cracks in this Semogue handle would appear so soon and I've always taken great care - No such issues with the 1305 (I recently sent an email to the vendor to see what they have to say).

Apart from the cracks, at least I had a great shave (It could have been worse - finding cracks & having a bad shave).

Happy Shaving Everyone !!

@borked, since I really don't like the fragrance of the Alt Innsbruck pre/post emulsion, it's the last thing I feel like slapping on as an aftershave :(
I wager reputation that there were many a thing that you didn't like when younger, yet have returned to in time and afforded a decent second chance, only to appreciate something you lacked the ability to appreciate at that time :)
@stillshunter and his affinity against ARKO!!! is an example of this.
I hope that you don't join that club of bias due to premature bias my friend :)

Merkur 34C
Vokshod
Simpson Duke 3 Best
Saponificio Verasino Cosmo

As of right now this is the best soap that I own. It's as close to perfect as it can get.

Excellent scent, superb slickness & amazing post shave feel.

I'll need to start using up all my other soaps so I can explore the rest of the SV line up.

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson badger
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: B&M Kvoyu
Cologne: Penhaligon's Halfeti

Our annual dinner in the Great Hall of Parliament House tonight (although different feel as they are not sitting!) so a three pass plus touch up for a BBS finish to try and reduce the 5 o'clock shadow. I normally shave again if I have an evening function but don't have time.

Needed something neutral BUT soothing to finish - can't go past the B&M Kvoyu.

The Halfeti is a great cologne ...

Ready for the (full) day!

What an experience :)

Having a modicum of confidence in my limited ability I picked up the folding Kamisori style from @Draco Noir without putting a fresh blade in my SE razor - [just in case]. I even left the blade in its cardboard protector. :) Such wild confidence :)
While the blade on this type of razor is scary sharp it surprisingly feels [to me] a bit dull. Believe me it isn't. I found the angle was slightly different with each side of the blade and once I adjusted to that the whiskers flew.
As this is my first full 2 pass shave with this razor style I confess to using too much pressure so I do have a warmish glow and some irritation - but - 2 passes and DFS+ so pretty pleased.

Brush Plisson
Soap @alfredus / @bald as as soap workshop. [For me it is lousy for a bowl but excellent for face lathering and as a bonus very nice for straight razor shaving.
Blade - Kamasori style folder thanks to @Draco Noir

I did knick myself a couple of times but that will stop when I get used to the razor.

Steve

Congratulations @bald as - that is a really special milestone! And I for one am very pleased for you. You are absolutely right in what you say too - the nicks will stop and DFS will only be an occasional thing because most of the time you'll be getting a 2-pass BBS. Sounds like you have figured out the subtle angle differences of the two sides of the razor as well. There's nothing stopping you now you know it can be done :) Anyway congrats again and may you have many happy Japanese powered shaves (y):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.