Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 pass shave for a nice DFS.
Hot water towel on face for prep then from prepared scuttle lather face and massage lather in with fingers. Wash of lather with warm towel and then apply 2 drops of Emu oil before the first pass lather.
Nice shave but I will look for a less expensive oil if I keep on with the under lather oil. Grapeseed oil is pretty good.
11/16" Russian straight tonight.

BNO8Yn-OdHaDzRkoUcUOZUhwK4lNbOocCzhecTpScTW-LCKoKxukHrmSDUfsoiAByYRc6wqgxa7Z_MftzVscddHD5Fi_5c8aCQnpQ5h9cUc2v7b4cx70nq-yFBzvz9s5noXB-L0B4Hj84nbigTmFPFZ9flSU92fbBRIBHd5mithrQFaNze2c9m01JqXsUNQQ26NQTo9cOzcbhmupYzs-vSk6EzhDCmWr3xX0i0QSH4kdlxChZOvcsTb0y9uvkqCI0d7kz9D2QSnY2b-38fuaGfXlDMKcQ0jwyzSRec3B_LYCOZ6u5DRK4cBLytf1EIA2cEcgck5AJE-tb8XCWL1IywXFGjWdjiTZE7c7rjtiItANOPU1BuGrS7DZ13YH3_ZOpVocxNI90S8u03eEjziQUm-Dye0Ogf25naZuvuOdM2Uk_xCBKfB2n_7cx_z4nBcNocqWlhUdQPtOF9k9BE5jYLCE_VI0o9MCOD0HwY9Q4e6XiuleBALGk02yaDotK5JgX49NgQJAdaxLvPns-KFZCgQ1t4qUvmNyno2KepAIHYe9niB4DbkBdRnVawC1RvA1U0v6rpUZ01O9fEbjPBandYK7G4-RQ4U=w1040-h780-no

Face Wash : Menthol Lime Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera Silvertip
Soap : I Coloniali
Razor : Fine Slant
Blade : Polsilver SS [3]
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel, Speick AS

There were two heroes in today's shave - the lather and the razor/blade combo. After getting a tutorial from @Lifes a Peach in I Coloniali Lathering, it has rocketed up my personal popularity list. The Romera brush performed flawlessly, giving me a lather with amazing glide and body. Add to this a unique fragrance, and it's easy to see how some shavers get fanatical about it.

Today was shave #4 with the Polsilver SS blade. It still shows no sign of dulling or fatigue at all, and provided me with a shave just as comfortable as day 1 of the trial. 2 passes (XTG and ATG) got me right in the zone, and a tiny touch up of one trouble spot gave me a BBS clean sweep. Interestingly, in spite of the closeness of the shave there was no sting from the alum at all. You have to like that kind of result :)

Finished up in much the usual way, with the Speick adding its super clean fragrance to things. A wonderful face feel to finish up with :)
Nice soap container

e7fb72c8dfe7b7cac060587be2f01e1d.jpg

Self Declared Dense Friday
Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: Chubby 2 Best
Soap: SH Drogon Noir Tallow V2
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: Voskhod
Post: alum, witch hazel, alt-innsbruck emulsion and cologne

As always, shaverheaven always performs. I think I overloaded today, so first pass wasn't as great. That's fine, second pass, simply added more water, perfect. Fantastic soap, I can't wait for the release of V3 formulation.

Running low on the PSI, so I loaded a Voskhod today. I reckon, PSI was miles better for me. I still prefer sharper blades. Will take some time for the blades to be shipped from Bulgaria.

Finished off with the trusty alum block, stung a little no biggie, witch hazel it up and then the alt innsbruck emulsion. Upon application, I can't stop but smelling mosquito and bug sprays. Certainly scent is a very personal thing! Splashed a little of the alt innsbruck cologne, still not fully into the scent yet. YMMV!

Happy Friday every one!

Finished off with the trusty alum block, stung a little no biggie, witch hazel it up and then the alt innsbruck emulsion. Upon application, I can't stop but smelling mosquito and bug sprays. Certainly scent is a very personal thing! Splashed a little of the alt innsbruck cologne, still not fully into the scent yet. YMMV!

I agree with you there, @silver - the Alt Innsbruck is (a) Very expensive for what it is, (b) doesn't do it for me at all fragrance wise, and (c) isn't as effective as Myrsol. I get cheap old fashioned bath soap when I smell it :confused:

Thanks my friend but can't agree there - I think that Romera would be a top brush in any collection ;)

You're most kind @alfredus. The knot is certainly exceptional, but is spoiled a bit by an over bulky handle that could be a lot more ergonomic :(

Whiiiileeee in the merry month of May, from me home I started to left the girls of Tuam nearly brokenhearted, saluted father dear, kissed me darling mother, drank a pint of beer!!
  1. The long awaited birthday shave:
  2. Freshly polished Gillette Red Tip 1955
  3. Australian Super Stainless 1984
  4. Proraso Sandalwood Pre-shave cream
  5. Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut ( Sorry guys, there is no way I was going to shave with Wiliams Mug for my birthday, hell no)
  6. Vie Long 13061 Horse Hair
  7. Shaving Scuttle from Heidi's Pottery (Seattle, USA)
  8. Gillette Wild Rain (My last drop...'til the new NOS bottle arrive)
The shave was smooth, the shave was good & close.

yohb4C7.jpg

Today's shave was pulled exclusively from my Grandfathers shave cabinet.
SLIP Mennen shave stick that I estimate to be 10+ years old and a small dyed boar brush of indistinguishable brand
SHARP English Gillette Tech with an Irish Republic made Kmart blade
SOOTHE Cold water

Not a fan of the shave sticks scent, brush was too small.
Razor and blade were good.
Cold water soothed somewhat, yet really need something else.

Nice to exclusively shave with my Grandfathers items from his past :)

5. Taylor of Old Bond Street - Coconut ( Sorry guys, there is no way I was going to shave with Wiliams Mug for my birthday, hell no)
Super shave for your birthday! Hope you had a great one. [emoji106] (You certainly treated your face...)

Today's shave was pulled exclusively from my Grandfathers shave cabinet.

Nice to exclusively shave with my Grandfathers items from his past :)
Absolutely. What a special shave for you mate. Top stuff.

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson boar
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Myrsol Metisol

Lovely soft vintage boar ...

I often think Tabac is the slickest soap I have. Always leads to a perfect shave.
It just shows you how subjective scent is. For me, Tabac smells like dirty ashtrays while I know others love it. Just like Alt Innsbruck smells like old bath soap to @Draco Noir and not quite there for @silver - for me it's a beautiful floral tobacco flower that smells like it's at home in a gentleman's study complete with cigars, bookshelves and leather armchairs...

On the topic of Tabac's slickness, it will be interesting to compare it to Fine's new shave soaps (which will hit the TSW store VERY soon!!!). They are said to be made by the company who makes Tabac according to their formula. That said, it's also meant to be the same formula as De Vergule Hand Scheerzeep (it's all made in the same Dutch factory!!!).

Brush: Shavemac Extra Silver Tip
Soap: Eufros Premium GEA (by Jabonman)
Razor: Schick Injector (G-type)
Blade: Personna
After-shave: Eufros GEA ASB

Last shave from this blade in the injector. It's been over a half dozen and I could push it but it's just not as sharp as it once was.
The Premium soap range by Jabonman is sublime and the ASB milk is unbelievable. The scents of Jabonman products are just one great strength (I'd argue one of the best). Even my 5 yo daughter commented on how good I smelt this morning!!!

It just shows you how subjective scent is. For me, Tabac smells like dirty ashtrays while I know others love it. Just like Alt Innsbruck smells like old bath soap to @Draco Noir and not quite there for @silver - for me it's a beautiful floral tobacco flower that smells like it's at home in a gentleman's study complete with cigars, bookshelves and leather armchairs...

@Draco Noir and @silver were referring to the Alt Innsbruck pre-shave emulsion, not the exquisite aftershave / EDT that you are both very fond of. They are like chalk and cheese in terms of scent. Draco gave me a sample of the pre-emulsion and I have to agree with his sentiments.

Whiiiileeee in the merry month of May, from me home I started to left the girls of Tuam nearly brokenhearted, saluted father dear, kissed me darling mother, drank a pint of beer!!

yohb4C7.jpg

Happy birthday @Maxime D. and very glad you had a great shave (y)

20160521_SOTDSS_zpshmxulcmg.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Nathan Clark Envy White
Lather: Mystic Water
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Fantastic shave today with a stellar post shave - what great start into the weekend! Lather pictures in the lather section

Absolutely. What a special shave for you mate. Top stuff.
Indeed :)
The soap stick was something different to start with, yet ok never less and the blade, well I didn't even know the Irish Republic even made blades back in the day.
Anyone actually know anything about Kmart DE blades from probably 15+ years ago?

@Draco Noir and @silver were referring to the Alt Innsbruck pre-shave emulsion, not the exquisite aftershave / EDT that you are both very fond of. They are like chalk and cheese in terms of scent. Draco gave me a sample of the pre-emulsion and I have to agree with his sentiments.
Did they/you try applying emulsion > after shave?
How was the performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.