Status
Not open for further replies.
20150420SOTDS_zpsqcquqxna.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Well the good thing is I am alive :)

First use of @khun_diddy R41...I took all the precautions, my favourite blade and the best lather, but still not a pleasant shave :(

I did go all the way, 4 passes everywhere (moustache, jaw line, neck) and I just got a couple of micro wheepers (on the cheek of all places) which disappeared straight away with a splash of cold water. So I guess my technique is half decent...thanks again too @khun_diddy for recommending an extreme steep angle.

The disappointing part: my favourite blade felt really uncomfortable! I have the theory, that in the same way the Wolf brings out the best in every blade, the R41 brings out the worst. Seems like the Voskhod is not sharp enough for this razor! Which is really crazy for me, because it is perfect in everything else I tried. Will go for a PolSilver SI next time.

What is even worse though: although I had a BIG sting with the Alum, my face does not feel smoother!!! So I am using this super aggressive beast, thinking I will have a BBS for days to come, but a couple hours later the stubble is right back :( :( :(

So all in all the shave itself was better than I though, but the result not...

I used to love Voskhods too, but have felt them struggle a bit with certain razor combos.

You escaped alive. That's better than many manage with the Beast!

True - I should cherish this more :D

I used to love Voskhods too, but have felt them struggle a bit with certain razor combos.

That's really strange, because they performed GREAT in every single one of these razors:
ATT R1 Kronos
Weber PH
Wolfman
RR Slants: V1, V2, Stainless
British pre-war fat handle and thin Handle Tech
Canadian pre-war Tech
Hoffritz Travel Slant
Merkur Progress

Even with these razor I did not like too much - they still gave the best shave out of the lot:
Merkur 37c
Gillette NEW SC
Eclipse Red Ring

But with the R41...they felt 2 tiers less sharp and smooth..crazy!

I couldn't use them in the ERR, but with milder razors they work fine

Razor: Muhle R41..........What is even worse though: although I had a BIG sting with the Alum, my face does not feel smoother!!! So I am using this super aggressive beast, thinking I will have a BBS for days to come, but a couple hours later the stubble is right back.........So all in all the shave itself was better than I though, but the result not...

What do you expect from a razor with a design based on agricultural plowing equipment.

PAA Cavendish, Simpson's Chubby 2 Best, Tech (40s) with Weber Classic handle, PolSilver SI (3), Soap Commander Integrity ASB.

Well, since @stillshunter won't shut up about his AS-D2, and since it was said that a fat handle tech is a similar approximation, I decided to give it a go this morning.

[...]

The result? The smoothest and most irritation free shave I have had in ages.

@stillshunter, you may continue your evangelism.
You need to try that set-up with a Feather loaded. Then you might be visited along that road to Damascus mate.

Razor: Razorock Stealth
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap: Captains Choice (Razorock) Bay Rum
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel & Ogallala Bay Rum

The mild weather had me reaching for the warming properties of Bay Rum. I wanted to revisit the Stealth since it's return from the roadshow.

Very slick and rich lather from a soap maker that never disappoints even though it's been lurking in the shadow of the other artisan makers that are hogging the limelight. The Bay Rum scent is very true to the Captains Choice brand.

The performance of the Stealth was so much better than my initial few weeks with it. The lowering expectations made for a better shave, if that makes any sense. A lighter touch and more attention resulted in comfortable shave. Not BBS but close enough. On the other side, the bulky head makes it hard to access the nooks under the nose. The myth that you can't cut yourself with it is a load of tripe as it bit me once or twice. However, I do like this razor for some reason and it will stay in my rotation.

Finished off with some Ogallala Bay Rum (original) with warming properties that raised the temperature a bit for that brisk walk to the tram stop.

Razor: Fatboy (5)
Blade: Spoiler (2) - it's right in the groove now.
Brush: Ploccitane? Pliccitane? Plissitane?? You know what I am talking about.
Soap: B&M Dickens - channeling my family heritage
Aftershave: none

Seriously got this B&M lathering down pat. Two great passes, still feeling smooth over 12 hours later apart from under the chin.

I think all of you in the B&M Group Buy will be very pleased with your purchases if you haven't had it a chance to sample them previously.

I did go all the way, 4 passes everywhere (moustache, jaw line, neck) and I just got a couple of micro wheepers (on the cheek of all places) which disappeared straight away with a splash of cold water.
Four passes with the R41.
Wow.

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: Caties Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie
Razor: Gold Dollar (WTG)
Razor: Phoenix Double Open Comb
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [3]
After-shave: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente milk

Opinion upon the P-DOC ?
Only used it a few times so far but it's a good little razor for the price. I like that it's three price with an eye-catching design. The double comb does allow more lather through so you can buff more. It is quite comfortable despite being an open comb.

@alfredus how do the Hoffritz Travel Slant and Merkur 37c compare, considering they're the same design ?

Not a fan of what she calls "clutter".
No doubt her clutter isn't ;)

Four passes with the R41.
Wow.

I really have a tough beard that grows in every direction + shave only every 2nd day. If I don't do 4 passes, I can't go ATG in the moustache and neck area - tried it only very few times with a feather in a 37c for example - horrible shaves is all I can say

@alfredus how do the Hoffritz Travel Slant and Merkur 37c compare, considering they're the same design ?

I have never had a normal Hoffritz, but the Hoffrtitz travel is nothing like the 37c - maybe current owners like @Lifes a Peach could chime in here - but while the travel slant is one of the smoothest and most effective razors I have tried so far, the 37c was only harsh, yet not so effective for me.

Razor: Stealth Slant
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Omega 10065
Cream: Fauldings
Aftershave:
Pinaud VIBR

O. M. G.
Add your thoughts on the RRSS to the others on the RRSS Review thread.
It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.