Not open for further replies.
20150404_SOTDS_zpsuym99uoe.jpg

Brush: Omega 49
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Razor: The Wolf
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

The perfect shave. Really nothing more to add, except maybe I wish the Omega had the tips of my WD Silvertip :)

On a different note:
The smaller synths will be pretty firm and flicky. The Body shop cheapy is a good one, but harder to use because it's so firm. The Aesop has pretty much the right loft for optimum use. But the Plisson has different fibres. Needs a few mm off to be workable.
BullGoose has the Grooming company synths on offer for free worldwide shipping...

Brush: Plisson Hmw
Cream: Penhaligon's BB cream
Razor: Feather Dx straight
Blade: KAI (7)
Post-shave: Old spice splash

Smooth efficient two passes. The BB is very easy lather and smells great. As with the DE, feather have taken straights to a new place. Albeit a big learning curve to develop the technique necessary to achieve a gentle shave, once there it really provides a unique and pleasurable experience.

BullGoose has the Grooming company synths on offer for free worldwide shipping...
I feel obliged in providing a ymmv here, due to unacceptable post sales support from them, and that is as far as I will divulge into the matter.

Brush: Plisson Synth
Soap: Soap Commander "Passion"
Razor: EJ DE89 with Weber Classic Handle
Blade: Treet Durasharp Carbon (2)
Post Shave: Aqua Velva

First time with the Plisson that I got from @stillshunter . I have been using a FS Purtech of almost exactly the same knot and loft so it was an interesting comparison and to tell you the truth there is hardly a split hair between them (pardon the pun). The Plisson is softer and has less backbone but lathered up great, it seems to hold more water than the Purtech and I didn't initially allow for that and had to add a little more product to get the right consistency.

All in all a great brush. The quality of workmanship and construction is a definite step up compared to the FS, so on quality and the feel on my face it probably slightly outpoints the Purtech but both a really good pieces of kit.

The smaller synths will be pretty firm and flicky. The Body shop cheapy is a good one, but harder to use because it's so firm. The Aesop has pretty much the right loft for optimum use. But the Plisson has different fibres. Needs a few mm off to be workable.

By the way since when have you been buying every synthetic brush out there? No more disdainful remarks about brush sads from you sir!

By the way since when have you been buying every synthetic brush out there? No more disdainful remarks about brush sads from you sir!
OIE, cultivate, not cut ;)
Encouragement of said desires might cheer him up as it spreads into other areas of this unifying topic and then other interests :)

Pffffff........
What's the worse that could happen ?
He makes up for a self imposed embargo upon smiley use ?

What are your thoughts on the Jabonman TH @Nightguard?
Very much enjoying the Tierra Humeda, took me a while to come round to the scent. Very much a top shelf soap. Thanks to @stillshunter for passing it on.

Yeah @Nightguard :whistle:

...and how about the Erskine reknot?
Erskine re knot is going well mate, really enjoying it for bowl lathering.
More to the point, what about the English Wilky on No 14. Is this a record attempt?
No record attempt, just the usual amount of shaves I manage to get out of them. 14 and done.
And how refreshing is that a/s?
Very refreshing. Nice scent, good face feel very happy.

Brush: Erskine re knot
Razor: EJ Chatsworth
Blade: Feather (1)
Cream: Ingrams
A/S: TOBS Limes + 444

Been a while since I've given the EJ a run. I should use it more, works great with a feather. The Ingrams was great, as always and the TOBS lime/444 mix works well.

.....No record attempt, just the usual amount of shaves I manage to get out of them. 14 and done........

That's good. I tend to lose count after about six and just change it out. Got enough to last me for years and years, so not too worried about pushing them that hard.

Saturday 4 April 2015

197521d1428154863-sun-march-29th-sat-april-04th-sotd-04042015.jpg

Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

Ladies and gentlemen, Mastro Livi Grifetto! The stainless steel used for making this lovely Grifetto is just amazing! Smooth and velvety, with the right amount of aggressiveness, it is a superb shaver. Not to mention the touch of olive wood scales, a typical Italian wood - as well as Umbrian, of course - a magnificent tree not only providing the very best oil, but also a beautiful wood. This shave was also the occasion to test the Denim White Aftershave I bought yesterday, not the very best around, however worth the price I paid for it, and the smell is pleasing and fresh.​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Aquagena
  • Brush: Mühle Travel 31 M 530 - 21 mm
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Grifetto, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Denim White

The Body Shop was so cheap it's barely worth calling a purchase. The Aesop was a Xmas present, from me. The Plisson was used, I'd never pay $100 for one.

If it makes you feel any better, the Butterscotch is still probably one of the best real ones I got.

Brush: Smog 620
Soap: Mikes Barbershop
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Pinaud's VIBR

Well we're into week two of just using the one razor and blade and it's definitely working for me - careful here I come @Drubbing . The more you get to know the Feather the better it is and I swear it is better for you, and you get better shaves, in the long run. @Young Buck was chatting to me about the benefits of the AS-D2 for longer-term shaves as it does less damage to the skin which doesn't need to swell to repair itself - a swelling that is repeatedly accosted, and further damaged, by subsequent daily shaves. Well I'm starting to feel the benefits. Getting smoother and getting closer.

Also going through some software to see what's staying. Under the spotlight, and considerable pressure, this morning the Mikes performed impeccably.
creamy yoghurt lather
protection
glide
moisture maintained through passes
post-shave face feel
scent
I'm really not sure what else I could have wanted....well maybe a pit girl holding an umbrella while I shaved but that's really only something you get with the European soaps. Anyway I cannot argue with this performance, and so it's earned a little longer a sojourn in the stillshunter lodge.

The Mike's scent invites you to finish off with a Bay Rum, and big thanks to @Nightguard who sent a few samples. This morning was the first time with the Virgin Islands from Pinaud. Although there's cloves there is also a nice sweetness to it. A little burn and a lot of niceness afterward. I like!

I have been thinking of picking up some mikes in bay rum when it's in stock. I like bay rum and the only ones I've tried is col conk and captains choice RR. The RR was good but I prefer less clove.

Status
Not open for further replies.