Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Smog 1305
Soap: Soap Commander 'Passion'
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: Soap Commander 'Passion' AS Balm

Found this soap and AS balm sample this morning, thanks to @filobiblic , so thought it fitting on Good Friday to get in the spirit of the Passion.

This is my first foray into Soap Commander soaps and I must say I'm not that impressed. The scent of teakwood and cardamom was quite nice both dry and wet, but the lather - although looking quite promising - I thought was only reasonable. The thickness was there but the protection, very oddly, was found wanting. I thought much the same of the glide - could or should have been great and was not. Post-shave face feel was OK but, again, for a soap containing shea, coconut, castor oil and glycerine I'd have expected better. The hardware used was all smooth but I felt they were carrying the shave today. So much like the spirit of these next couple of days, the Passion meant suffering and denial....well not 'suffering' so much as denying what seemed promised - a glimpsed or apparent pleasure. Though I suppose that comes after the rock's rolled away on Sunday...hmmm...I wonder what soap will be visited upon me on that day.

The balm on the other hand proved nice and, unless I break out, I would say it's a decent AS.

Last edited:
It's usually just a clean, soapy smell. It has no real added scent.

That's strange. Not sure what it is but I thought the MWF had a beautiful scent. One day when I run out of my current stash I'll get some more. That could be years away though.

Wife and daughter both say it smells soapy, must be my current nasal impairment due to hayfever. Have to dose up on allergy meds before my next shave.

JPUqvLt.jpg

Brush:
Thater something or another
Soap: Barrister & Mann Fougere Aromatique
Razor: Gillette old open comb I believe w/ ikon handle
Blade: Vintage Polsilver Brown (12)
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: Rapira (5)
Post-shave: Thayers unscented yet STRONGLY menthol spiked witchhazel
Cologne: Alpa eau de cologne Fougere

Not often I post on topic here, even lesser so with a picture, yet it's a good Friday, so why not :)
Enjoy.

Thater really is like a cloud upon the face.
B&M I added water, probably too much as I bowl lathered in the container, yet thickened up into an explosion of lather when face lathering.
The scent, I noticed something within it today, aniseed and I usually am not a fan of it, yet it works in this, most likely due to this being a mature complex scent, rather than the range of childish indulgences we oft find for scents.
This Gillette O/C (that @Mark1966 generously donated) renewed my faith in a comb bar.
The 37c is an acquisition that's entirely @filobiblic 's fault.
Rapira is a decent blade, yet nothing special, reached it's end life.
As for the Polsilver vintage, the number next to it and still being used in an O/C speaks for itself.
Thayers as I oft do is a wonderful ending (which you can see the solidified menthol on the bottle) and will purchase more.
Alpa Fougere, nice simple classic scent that will be purchased again.

I'm assuming that little rock thing next to the adjustable on the window sill is what remains from a broken stick of alum? Otherwise the picture is very flowery and scenty (scentish? why aren't they officially words?).

I'm assuming that little rock thing next to the adjustable on the window sill is what remains from a broken stick of alum? Otherwise the picture is very flowery and scenty (scentish? why aren't they officially words?).
Yes, great concept, yet unfortunately fails in reality.
No matter how careful, water gathers at the base of the alum stick, eroding the alum and eventually causing it to fall out and inevitably smash.

Brush: [/B]Thater something or another
Soap: Barrister & Mann Fougere Aromatique
Razor: Gillette old open comb I believe w/ ikon handle
Blade: Vintage Polsilver Brown (12)
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: Rapira (5)
Post-shave: Thayers unscented yet STRONGLY menthol spiked witchhazel
Cologne: Alpa eau de cologne Fougere
Gold, all gold! Great post @borked! [emoji106]
Certainly a Good Friday for some...

The Gillette OC head appears to be a NEW Long Comb. It's a smooth shaver and a favourite OC of mine.

That B&M Fougére is tantalisingly appealing...

GUqGLI2.png

Brush: L'Occitane Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Rhapsody
Razor: Gold Dollar str8 (cheeks only)
Razor: Weber PH with Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C (Violets)

The Rhapsody was a burst of Spring (on a dreary Autumn day). The fragrance was intoxicating and full of many different scents. If you like a single dominate note or straight forward scents, I'd pass this by. I find it refreshing and delightful. Definitely a keeper for both fragrance and performance. Highly recommended; if the description stirs you, then put your hand up for it at the group buy.

I paired the soap with a floral aftershave, but could have easily gone towards more musk-like Old Spice or even a classic barbershop like Aqua Velva. It's very versatile.

Thanks Will of @Barrister&Mann [emoji106]

You persevering with that
mate.
How you finding it?
Suits me. I'm not a badger connoisseur and it works well at the price it is. When my Frank Shaving badger thins too much, I'll get another suitable badger.

I just buy the cheap alum blocks. No use spending big buck on Bloc Osma or the like, just get the no-name ones.

These are the last ones I bought: http://www.connaughtshaving.com/page393.html
It was an experiment to see how they would actually work in the real world.
A pity that they didn't, as otherwise, a good product.
Will be buying a cheap block next time.
Gold, all gold! Great post @borked! [emoji106]
Certainly a Good Friday for some...

The Gillette OC head appears to be a NEW Long Comb. It's a smooth shaver and a favourite OC of mine.

That B&M Fougére is tantalisingly appealing...
Am pleased that you noted my particular effort mate and thanks for the ID.
As for the B&M Fougére, when are us Syd folks meeting up next ?
Managed to dig out the B&M order today...

It's a very very floppy brush. Zero backbone, ridiculously soft fibres. Makes very good lather like a synth, but takes a bit more work than an Aesop/Muhle, because there's no resistance at all.
I prefer it over my Mühle - but that may be because I have the smaller M and I've heard the L or XL is better. (The Aesop is an L equivalent I believe?)

I prefer it over my Mühle - but that may be because I have the smaller M and I've heard the L or XL is better. (The Aesop is an L equivalent I believe?)

The smaller synths will be pretty firm and flicky. The Body shop cheapy is a good one, but harder to use because it's so firm. The Aesop has pretty much the right loft for optimum use. But the Plisson has different fibres. Needs a few mm off to be workable.

Last edited:
Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
Soap: Razor Rock Don Marco
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Lord (1)
Post-shave: Alum and Neiva Sensitive After Shave Balm

This is my first shave of the razor I purchased from @stillshunter. It has a great weight and works well. Had a two pass shave, one small nick on the chin.

I think it will take a bit of time to master but I like the razor, it is different to my 34C but both are very good razors.

The Don Marco scent is still great. When I get back from a small trip I will have to cacth up with @MrT to obtain the MDC Fougere

Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
Soap: Razor Rock Don Marco
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Lord (1)
Post-shave: Alum and Neiva Sensitive After Shave Balm

This is my first shave of the razor I purchased from @stillshunter. It has a great weight and works well. Had a two pass shave, one small nick on the chin.

I think it will take a bit of time to master but I like the razor, it is different to my 34C but both are very good razors.

The Don Marco scent is still great. When I get back from a small trip I will have to cacth up with @MrT to obtain the MDC Fougere

Great to hear mate. Now let your Zen training begin...

Status
Not open for further replies.