Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking of picking up some mikes in bay rum when it's in stock. I like bay rum and the only ones I've tried is col conk and captains choice RR. The RR was good but I prefer less clove.
Always wondered about the RR Capt's Choice - as I really enjoy the Capt's Choice Bay Rum aftershave. Curious you say this as the AS is famous for having no clove. I wonder why they digressed in the soap? My fave Bay Rum soap so far has to be the Wickhams. Unfortunate that:
a) it is discontinued, and
b) I only have a sample pot.
Then again as per today's shave I do find some soaps that invite a Bay Rum finish. The Mikes Barbershop is one, the Jabonman Brisa de Oriente is another.

Razor - Dr Jekyll
Blade - Feather (5)
Brush - Simmo Case
Soap - Dr Jons Hydra

Well Dr Jons is nearly a cream, hard to load the brush without a substantial amount sticking to it. Very much like Nannys original recipe. The nearest thing I've tried is Nannys Citrus Zinger.

The lather whips up nicely, not as dense as the B&M hard soaps I have been using, but it's pretty smooth stuff.

I would have thought Dr Jons citrus would have been a bold tart summer/spring affair but it's a mellow warm scent you could use all winter. I mostly get Mandarin and Orange, a warm light orchard smell. I signed up to be ravaged by a multi headed snake! oh well it's still very pleasant to use. Citrus fans wouldn't be disappointed.

Brush: Smog 620
Soap: Mikes Barbershop
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Pinaud's VIBR

Well we're into week two of just using the one razor and blade and it's definitely working for me - careful here I come @Drubbing .

Finally. The sabbatical lasted less than 12 weeks though, so I don't hold out much hope...

The Body Shop was so cheap it's barely worth calling a purchase. The Aesop was a Xmas present, from me. The Plisson was used, I'd never pay $100 for one........

Oh I see.
  1. There's a minimum monetary value in play before it can be classified as a purchase.
  2. It's not a purchase if it can be assigned as a present to oneself.
  3. It's not a purchase if it was bought at a second hand price less than the RRP (that's a pisser!).
He, all you sabbatical devotees. Good news. There is no such thing as a purchase anymore and hence there is no such thing as your sabbatical. Heil Drubbing!

You forgot the long time gap between acquisitions. It doesn't count if you haven't bought anything for months...

Oh I see.
  1. There's a minimum monetary value in play before it can be classified as a purchase.
  2. It's not a purchase if it can be assigned as a present to oneself.
  3. It's not a purchase if it was bought at a second hand price less than the RRP (that's a pisser!).
He, all you sabbatical devotees. Good news. There is no such thing as a purchase anymore and hence there is no such thing as your sabbatical. Heil Drubbing!
Hail! Well he did write more than half the Official Rulebook here. I, for one, support this tenet. One of the rare YAYS in an ocean of NAYS issuing from the Grand Poobah @Drubbing - e.g., no smileys, no g-word, no photos, no being nice to the new guys, no likes, no references to YKW, etc., etc., etc.
tumblr_lpyeyvwiEz1qi9v15.jpg

I have been thinking of picking up some mikes in bay rum when it's in stock. I like bay rum and the only ones I've tried is col conk and captains choice RR. The RR was good but I prefer less clove.
Why don't you get some Barrister & Mann Bay Rum on Tuesday with the Group Buy?
I have Mike's Bay Rum. I like it but it's not the strongest scent (I like strong scents). It doesn't overwhelm with cloves and doesn't have too much citrus.
Dr Jon's Anne Bonny is also a good Bay Rum (with lime and Black Tea), but it's very soft so you'd go through it quickly. I have a sample of B&M's Bay Rum and the scent is lovely. Paired with their quality soap's performance, you couldn't do too much better.

Why don't you get some Barrister & Mann Bay Rum on Tuesday with the Group Buy?
I have Mike's Bay Rum. I like it but it's not the strongest scent (I like strong scents). It doesn't overwhelm with cloves and doesn't have too much citrus.
Dr Jon's Anne Bonny is also a good Bay Rum (with lime and Black Tea), but it's very soft so you'd go through it quickly. I have a sample of B&M's Bay Rum and the scent is lovely. Paired with their quality soap's performance, you couldn't do too much better.

I need to investigate this group buy [emoji4]. I might tag on peaches order.

Brush: Virginia Sheng Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Latha
Razor: NEW Long Comb
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [1]
After-shave: Floïd Vigoroso

I'm away on holidays for the weekend so took a travel kit:
* The synthetic is perfect for travelling: good size; dries quickly.
* B&M Latha is top quality. Lather is ultra slick with terrific face feel. Plastic tub is a good, compact size. Can't recommend it enough.
* The NEW took off the 2 day stubble easily. Smooth, comfortable and efficient. 3 piece so is minimal in the space it takes us.
* The small spray bottle of Floïd pairs well with the Latha scent.

B&M Ferox
Bengalli straight.

hmm, first shave with the straight in a long time. Out of practice. Not comfortable. Back to the R41

I soaked the Ferox for half a day with warm water sitting on top of the soap in the tub, and I think the difference is noticeable in bringing out the grapefruit scent. As per Wills suggestion to Egg re Dickens. If anyone gets Ferox this week I'd recommend doing this. What a great scent. Great soap. Great lather. Great.. ok I'm going to bed now

@eggbert: I'd suggest letting your nose clear out and lathering it first. :) High-citrus scents like Dickens often don't really develop properly until exposed to water, which causes the various volatile terpenes in the oils to vaporize (terpeneless oils don't suffer from this issue, but they have different problems). You should get a lot more lemon and spice when the soap is exposed to water. Hope you feel better soon!

To put it simply, you can't really smell a lot of the citrus until the soap is exposed to water because the volatile terpenes in the citrus oil do not evaporate from the soap base nearly as quickly. When you add water, they evaporate/vaporize, so it's much more apparent to the nose. It's not absolutely necessary to soak the soap first, but it definitely won't hurt it either. :)

Razor: Gillette Rocket Parat
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (Australia 1984) @3
Cream: Nivea Sensitive
Alum: Lucas
A.F: Nivea Original (bought this one a few days ago at my local drugstore, pleasant floral scent )

Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Penhaligon's English Fern (vintage)
Razor: iKon Shavecraft #102 on a Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol

First shave with this thanks to @filobiblic and my apologies for forgetting to do so earlier! It is a weird looking beast as his picture shows -

Vs1Q0MV.png

Shave wise it seemed quite gentle until the Metisol afterward confirmed it was anything but! I felt that stuff go on big time.

The result - not BBS but it was a big change from the Personna. We shall see what tomorrow brings

Disclaimer: for the next 2 weeks I have the Passaround from YKW and my reviews might get a bit longer...

20150406_SOTDS_zpssfxhaazh.jpg

Razor: The Wolf SB-P WRH2
Blade: German Wilkinson (from the box)
Brush: Frank Shaving 28mm Synthetic (from the box)
Soap: Mike's Bay Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I have a Plisson L'Occitane synthetic – and while I don't like some aspects of if (it is too floppy for me and I don't like the handle), I have to admit that some properties are out of this world: it is the softest brush I have ever used, and I don''t think there is anything softer out there. But even more important: it produces the best lather you can get out of any soap in seconds. I have not managed to get anything but perfect lather out of it – no matter what I tried.

So when I saw the FS brush in the box, I had very high hopes. The handle looks and feels very nice, is heavy and well balanced. The knot is a monster with 28mm and just playing with it when it is dry, it is obvious that it has tons of backbone. The tips are not quiet as soft as the Plisson, but still very soft and can easily compete with my Silvertip.

I decided to use a well known soap from my stable, rather than something new to me from the box – in order to get a real feel for the brush. It picked up the soap without any issues, but from then on it was disappointing...

I could not face lather with the brush. I believe the problem is, that it does not open up in the middle and the fibres have a lot of spring, so they tend to fold one way or the other – but do not open from the middle. This results in a lot of skipping which together with the strong backbone results in a very unpleasant feeling on the face.

Another feature was, that the lather was somehow sucked from my face into the brush, and while there was a lot of lather on/in the brush, there was no lather on my face. I had to take my bowl to the rescue and finished the lather in there. The result was however outstanding lather - nothing less expected from Mike's though.

The shave itself was perfect. I love this razor and can only highly recommend it – it is a piece of art and shaves perfect. Great balance and head geometry – very smooth yet very effective. The German Wilkinson blade was a pleasant surprise. Also very smooth, yet very sharp. Cut effortlessly through my whiskers without any pulling. I have not heard much about it, but will definitely get some in for the future.

I use at the end of my post shave routine Olive Oil – this has been a revelation and leads to a perfect post-shave feel. If you haven't tried this out – please do so!

Disclaimer: for the next 2 weeks I have the Passaround from YKW
RM can you hurry the hell up with that "Unlike" button!
(I did the Like and then reversed it, but it's just not the same)

BTW: great review @alfredus , a damn shame about the sourcing and the preamble

So when I saw the FS brush in the box, I had very high hopes. The handle looks and feels very nice, is heavy and well balanced. The knot is a monster with 28mm and just playing with it when it is dry, it is obvious that it has tons of backbone. The tips are not quiet as soft as the Plisson, but still very soft and can easily compete with my Silvertip.

I decided to use a well known soap from my stable, rather than something new to me from the box – in order to get a real feel for the brush. It picked up the soap without any issues, but from then on it was disappointing...

I could not face lather with the brush. I believe the problem is, that it does not open up in the middle and the fibres have a lot of spring, so they tend to fold one way or the other – but do not open from the middle. This results in a lot of skipping which together with the strong backbone results in a very unpleasant feeling on the face.
Thanks for including your review here @alfredus - let the cynics shut their eyes and poke their fingers in their ears...

I have a few synthetics and some have too strong a backbone so you need to "push through" the spring. It takes a different kind of technique to use on the face.

The Plisson is floppy and soft, so tends to slap around the face easily enough. Many of the other synthetics have a springiness that you need to smoosh hard enough to get a decent result. It's taken me a while to appreciate the difference they bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.