Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Plisson Synth
Soap: Soap Commander 'Courage'
Razor: Fatboy
Blade: Vintage Wilkie (4)
Post-shave: Touch of alum

Overall a magnificent shave. The Courage seems to lather a bit better than the Vision and overall I was very happy with it.

Did get the claret flowing on a bump - was a rather large bump and not just an ingrown so I am calling it a zit.

Haven't posted on this thread for yonks. Not much new to report. Standard stuff. Vintage blades (Schick, Gillette, Wilks) in the SPUDster bakelite. Variety of soaps/creams, although compared to the insane number of new ones that are out there it's pretty paltry. Did try some Wickhams Southsea Spray that @stillshunter sent me. Very nice,very modern scent compared to the dinosaurs I stock. Talking of dinosaur scents, my wife, after god knows how many years told me that the scent of the stuff I was using recently was disgusting. That was Tabac. I'll have to finish off whatever I've got left when she's not around.

Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Semogue Cerda
Soap: Mikes Soaps Peppermint & Rosemary
Razor: Mongoose
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional "Super"
Post-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel

Picking up where I left off with the Mongoose. This time loaded with a Feather Artist blade. Very smooth and close shave but still a few quirks to work out. More about how I'm getting on with the Mongoose in about a week.

The Mikes / Cerda combo didn't play nice today going by the lack of a decent lather on the second pass. Still there was sufficient glide and bubbles to get me through to a DFS.

I tried a hot towel shave this morning. First time doing this but man was it good. I used PAA Cavendish soap and it was one of the smoothest shaves I have ever had.

Next I'm thinking about how I'll go about trying to shave in the shower in the mornings to hopefully replicate that feel.
Will give you a good idea as to where your technique is at as a minimum.
I find the first hit of alum with cold water running over your face also reduces the irritation it causes.

Brush: Chubby 2 Best
Soap/Cream: PAA Cavendish
Razor: Gillette New LC with Weber Classic handle
Blade: PolSilver SI (1)
Bowl: En Ceramics custom scuttle
After-shave: Witch Hazel plus Eau de Moe aftershave

Nice enough shave, but I miss the @filobiblic 's Merkur Progress. Hurry up Himage!

First time bowl lathering in a while. I must say, warm lather is LOVELY. I noticed the warmth more than I expected to. It's delightful. I wonder if there is a way to combine the benefits of face lathering with the warm lather of a scuttle...
Pre-build the lather in the bowl, then finish off on your face.

Brush: Thater 49125
Soap: LPL
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: Agua Balsamic

Tried to Thater again to see how much it would be missed if some member got off his arse and bought it off me. Well since I face lathered the LPL today it did well, very well.

This here is a winning combination. Not quite sure how today's shave could have been improved. I know music in the bathroom. Now that'd do the trick. Hmmm....
Why are you selling it then ?

Is someone selling a brush?

'Twas but merely some blood. No pus involved.
@stillshunter has a wonderful Thater on the selling block.
If only it was taller...

Brush: Smog 620
Soap: Occams Original
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Ogallala Bay Rums and Sandalwood

I really cannot understand why people bang on and on and on about @Occams stuff on here. Yeah it's a great cream, no it's a 'king great cream but we're wasting our words preaching to the choir on here. Let's bang on about it to the wider world. This stuff is better than 99% of artisan soaps and creams around the world. Our foreigner visitors on here should take note and go buy a tub....SERIOUSLY!

620 is breaking in slowly, still a little ways o go but I'm starting to see its potential.

The Feather is phenomenal

The Sandalwood version of the Ogallala way a "why not, get a companion to the Limes and Pepper, but I'm starting to like it even more, An entirely different face feel. More moisturising and a great scent.

All-in-all a nice start to the day.

Did try some Wickhams Southsea Spray that @stillshunter sent me. Very nice,very modern scent compared to the dinosaurs I stock.
Thought the scent might suit a salty old sea dog like yourself mate. So how'd you rate the performance compared to old staples such as Tabac?

A beautiful shave with a beautiful razor indeed!

It's nice having a heirloom/connection from your father. Lovely. Do you have any more from your father or grandfather?
I have another old brush he used, but its condition is pretty bad and not so performing. It is however a lovely brush to keep.
This omega 47 is about 35 years old and it works very, very well!

@razorguy: could you please give some more info on the Omega 47? Looks like everything you would love to get today from a 49...
It was my father's brush and it is about 35 years old now. It is the predecessor of the well known Omega 48 and in fact it is almost the same, both in size and height, with the exception this 47 has an aluminum handle whereas the 48 has a plastic one.

@razorguy mate, your razor collection... what can I say ?
Astounding!
Thank you! I am glad you like my humble collection of straight razors. I bought this Mastro Livi CarboInox kamisori last Saturday and it is a masterpiece! A beautiful razor to see, a magnificent shaver to use. Absolutely happy with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brush: Vintage Simpson butterscotch
Soap: Vintage Yardley Shaving Soap
Razor: Gillette Slim ADjustable [9]
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (?) [3]
Post-shave: Floid Vigoroso

I figured I would compare the result from a Slim which I though had a 'Lab Blue' on its third shave - was actually a Schick.

Dialled it up to nine and got a very close shave - but nowhere near as comfortable or enjoyable as the Personna ...

Might have to grab a Fatboy and 'Lab Blue' and do some comparisons !

20150331_SOTDS_zps7asqxto5.jpg

Brush:
Omega 49
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage (Old Formula)
Razor: The Wolf
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

To celebrate the order of another piggy (a Semogue 610) I had to take out the 49 today. This 10$ brush never ceases to amaze: so easy to whip up tons of fantastic lather and a beautiful face feel (I think it is still getting softer)...

This sample of Stirling is probably the best example if their old formula, it is very hard and I had already 10 shaves with it - and I would say half of it is still there!

As I have a huge backlog of blades to try out, I decided to go against my usual formula: 1 Voskhod, 1 other blade, 1 Voskhod, etc...I loaded an Astra SP, which I got in a trade from @stillshunter - again many thanks!

I must say I was a bit disappointed though: I have read many great reviews, but in the Wolf they are simply too tame. The blade pulled from the get go (very unusual for a WTG pass) and the whole shave was a bit of work. No nicks and irritations and the end result was still fantastic (although not a perfect BBS), but for me they are nowhere nears as smooth and close as Voskhods. They won't get a second chance with the Wolf, but I will try them in different razors for sure - however since I don't see myself using any other razors in the near future, it might be while...

And as always: Olive Oil Post shave = heaven!!! If you haven't tried it yet, do yourself a huge favour ;)

Brush: L'occitane Synth
Soap/Cream: Catie's Bubbles Black Bergamot
Razor: Weber PH with Bulldog handle
Blade: Voskhod [3]
After-shave: Stirling AS balm Sharp Dressed Man

Simmo Case
Barrister & Mann Fougère Aromatiquè
Dr. Jekyll (R89)
Voskhod (3)

Last shave with the Barrister & Mann Fougère Aromatiquè. Two weeks of fougère bliss comes to a happy close. Thanks Peach. All those contemplating B&M put some pennies aside for the $35 splurge. Well endowed with lather rich, and lacking not in scent or glide, happy is the face that acquaints itself with this fine product.

Thought the scent might suit a salty old sea dog like yourself mate. So how'd you rate the performance compared to old staples such as Tabac?

Well to be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time I used an underperforming cream or soap. I also don't know how performance is measured. Cushioning, glide? I don't really know what that means. They all do it as far as I'm concerned. An exception was a soap called Lea I once had which was just bad. Scent is the only discerning factor for me. Wickhams scent I liked.

All those contemplating B&M put some pennies aside for the $35 splurge. Well endowed with lather rich, and lacking not in scent or glide, happy is the face that acquaints itself with this fine product.

Better be quick about putting them pennies aside - the next group buy will be opening very, very soon. And yes it is a @Barrister & Mann event - so get thinking about what scents you want to get.

Personally, I will be getting a Latha, and at least one other.

Better be quick about putting them pennies aside - the next group buy will be opening very, very soon. And yes it is a @Barrister & Mann event - so get thinking about what scents you want to get.

Personally, I will be getting a Latha, and at least one other.
Will all scents be available? Including seasonal ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.