Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weber PH
Stirling 'Frozen Tundra' (should be more accurately sold as Stirling 'Dencorub')
Gillette SOC Green (2)
Muhle STFv.2 23mm
Prince AS balm (Aldi)
EVOO

Very nice shave - despite the best efforts of the Gillette SOC Green, which stunk in the Slim and continued the pong in the Weber. Honestly WTF Stirling were thinking to put so much camphor EO in that soap is beyond me - they claim there's 8 other EO's in it but you'd struggle to know - imagine 8 strangers whispering something their names to you whilst the 9th with a bullhorn hollars,"I'm f#@ing Camphor!!!" right into your ear (picture the scene from '300' where Leonidis screams,"This is Sparta!" and kicks the arrogant Persian messenger into the well as thats about the tone!).

Anyway somewhat alarmingly it's kinda pleasant to use and mainly as it lathers like a freaking dense, slick dream with the Muhle synth, which is very good but a poor cousin to the Plisson IMHO, though a more generous one with it's lather stash. The lowly Aldi AS balm is as good as the high street mass market stuff and the EVOO, well thats my standard finishing 'seal' these days.

Brush: L'occitane Synth
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Heavenly Amber
Razor: Gold Dollar str8 (cheeks only)
Razor: NEW LC with Weber Classic handle
Blade: Personna Blue/Super [1]
After-shave: Old Spice (Indian)

First time using the straight razor so only started with the cheeks. More info on the relevant thread (in time).
The Personna blade strangely felt a little rough today. I'll give it another go tomorrow otherwise bin it.

Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Razorock Don Marco (first shave with)
Razor: Merkur 34
Blade: Personna Blue (3)
Post-shave: Neiva Sensitive After Shave Balm

The Don Marco might be my favourite soap yet, great orange scent and performance.

Brush: Vie-Long 12705 horse hair
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Barbershop
Razor: Merkur Progress (2,3,3,1)
Blade: Personna Blue/Super (5)
After-shave: Witch Hazel + SC balm

Once again, great shave from the Progress. I think it's the ability to go to setting 1 for my touch up pass that I love so much... That SC balm it top stuff too.

I seem to be losing a lot of hairs from my Vie-Long lately. I hope this isn't a trend... I lost about 6 this morning.

Brush: Vie-Long 12705 horse hair
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Barbershop
Razor: Merkur Progress (2,3,3,1)
Blade: Personna Blue/Super (5)
After-shave: Witch Hazel + SC balm

Once again, great shave from the Progress. I think it's the ability to go to setting 1 for my touch up pass that I love so much... That SC balm it top stuff too.

I seem to be losing a lot of hairs from my Vie-Long lately. I hope this isn't a trend... I lost about 6 this morning.
Shedomatic has a relation ?
Don't bother seeking support from Vie Long, it is a waste of time.
Through a retailer otoh...

Brush: L'occitane Synth
Soap/Cream: Maggards London Barbershop
Razor: Gold Dollar str8 (cheeks only)
Razor: NEW LC with Weber Classic handle
Blade: Personna Blue/Super [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol

Still working out this straight razor thingie... Finally posted about it.

20150327_SOTDS_zpsfsycupwz.jpg

Brush:
Whipped Dog 24/48 High Mountan
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Razor: The Wolf
Blade: PolSilver SI (2)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

What a crap day so far: arrived in the morning from Hong Kong with 1 hour delay, everything super hectic. Went to a house auction, just to realise I lost my drivers license somewhere between home and Guangzhou in China and was 200k+ off at the auction...

Came home, looking forward to a nice shave at least, after calling airports and airlines for hours. Couldn't get a decent lather for ever - way too much water in the brush and everything was runny...had to reload!

The shave: well finally things started to improve and face feels fantastic. Details in the Wolf thread.

20150327_SOTDS_zpsfsycupwz.jpg

Brush:
Whipped Dog 24/48 High Mountan
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave soap
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Razor: The Wolf
Blade: PolSilver SI (2)
Post-shave: South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

What a crap day so far: arrived in the morning from Hong Kong with 1 hour delay, everything super hectic. Went to a house auction, just to realise I lost my drivers license somewhere between home and Guangzhou in China and was 200k+ off at the auction...

Came home, looking forward to a nice shave at least, after calling airports and airlines for hours. Couldn't get a decent lather for ever - way too much water in the brush and everything was runny...had to reload!

The shave: well finally things started to improve and face feels fantastic. Details in the Wolf thread.

Sorry to hear about your day mate....though sometimes it's good to get all the shit concentrated into a single period, especially to free it al for a great weekend!

Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Vision
Razor: Phoenix Double OC
Blade: Personna Blue (1)
After-shave: Witch Hazel, Soap Commander Integrity balm

New to the S Brush, bought as a cheap ($10) travel alternative to my Plisson. Went well, holds a bit of lather and less floppy than the Plisson.

Really enjoying the Vision soap, it's a very fresh scent. Only my second use of the balm, used much less this time after the menthol burns from yesterday. A little does go a long way, it's good stuff.

Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre-Shave cream
Brush: Semogue Cerda
Soap/Cream: MWF
Razor: Merkur 30C
Blade: Feather [2]
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel & Speick Splash

Is the 30C still @Drubbing 's razor of choice? Partnered with a Feather makes for a very close shave without spilling blood.

Lurve da Fat!

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: English Wilky (8)
Soap: Soap Commander Endurance
A/S: Alum and European Old Spice

Another great shave with the 37c, really don't know why I ever sold mine. The SC did an ok job, I'll reserve any comments on it until I've given it a few more shaves.

Brush: #1305
Soap: LPL
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: Agua Balsamic

"Houston we have a problem"
...actually we got two problems.

First problem, LPL.
Le Pere Lucien. A sample of the traditional fragrance made its way into my hands....into my bowl, through my brush and onto my face. This stuff is good. Very good. Very 'king good. Scent. Glide. Protection. Scent. Post-Shave Feel. Give me a box and I'll tick it. I got a few shaves left in this sample but I think there's an order going across to Europe shortly. A box that'll probably also carry home more Myrsol supplies. Having said that the Agua Balsamica complements this shave soap perfectly. I think both have the goodness of Rosemary and Thyme.

Second problem, AS-D2.
Third shave with the Feather but this time I applied it to a little more growth (no shave yesterday). I have a thick beard and many criticise mild razors for being unable to tackle days of stubble. I feared tugging. I feared patches. I feared clogging. All dispelled. The razor just glided through unhindered like me on my arse at an ice-skating rink. Phenomenal. This razor is likely to end up an only child (except the #45 for travel). A little more testing and I think a few more razors are going on the BST - that'll be the Fatip (Piccolo) and the Weber. Yep the Weber. Actually, for those who actually bother to read SOTDs - my fave part of this forum actually (well that and any thread where @Drubbing 's on fire) - then I'm happy to receive EOIs (expressions of interest) via PM for this now discontinued stainless steel razor. Yep, the Feather is that good!

This was close to/probably my best shave ever! Smooth, close and not the slightest nick or hint of irritation. Not sure if I should vote (NSW elections) today while in such a great frame of mind!

Last edited:
Brush: Body Shop Synthetic
Soap: Razor Rock XXX (first shave with)
Razor: Merkur 34
Blade: Personna Blue (4)
Post-shave: Alum and Neiva Sensitive After Shave Splash

Two pass shave with touch up today.

Used the Body Shop Brush today, just a very quick soak under the tap (almost dry) and then in to the soap. The Razor Rock XXX builds a great thick lather so easily.

The smell of the XXX is hard for me to describe but it just smells fresh to me. Not sure if it is my favourite smell but it is pleasant. Performance and fell on the skin was great.

I wish my bread grew quick enough to shave twice a day, their is so many great products to try.

This was close to/probably my best shave ever! Smooth, close and not the slightest nick or hint of irritation. Not sure if I should vote (NSW elections) today while in such a great frame of mind!

Very classy shave, Stillsy. You're so right about LPL ticking all the boxes. Awesome lather from a vegetarian soap.

What type of LPL? The base version? There are umpteen different varieties...

Not sure if I should vote (NSW elections) today while in such a great frame of mind!
Yeah. Tell me about it. Politicians at the moment are un-excitingly unimaginative in their visions for society (apart from their own visions of grand delusion).

Status
Not open for further replies.