Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: Omega 31025 'Scarlatti'
Soap/Cream: XXX
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: English Wilkie
After-shave: Floid

This Omega compared to the Smog (1305) is a luxury. Soft tips with good backbone, nice splay, nice lather control without hogging. This model has a great handle too. Not quite sure how Smog fans expect us to believe that these boars can be as good - some are deluded enough to say they're better - than Omega offerings. Yep, Cuckoo.... Be happy to trade away my 1305 down the track...if anyone buys that sort of stuff.

XXX wasn't too bad. Nice slick lather, but lacked a little in the protection category for my money.

Never really get on with Wilkinson Sword blades and this wasn't much different. Be glad to swap it out.

Floid had it's work cut out for it this morning - as all-in-all an average shave - stung like a wasp in some areas but then my face sighed and was happy. Great stuff.

This Omega compared to the Smog (1305) is a luxury. Soft tips with good backbone, nice splay, nice lather control without hogging. This model has a great handle too. Not quite sure how Smog fans expect us to believe that these boars can be as good - some are deluded enough to say they're better - than Omega offerings. Yep, Cuckoo.... Be happy to trade away my 1305 down the track...if anyone buys that sort of stuff.

Agreed my B&B essential has more backbone, less splay and as soft tips as my 1250 Semogue ever did. I really love using it as it's a walk in the park.

Bah, you're just Smoggie haters, I decry your vitriolic.

...and a knot is easier to replace than a handle.
Nope the handle on my Omega is a helluva lot better than the one on the Smog. Can feel the softwood cowering precariously under that thin veneer of paint lest it be dented and exposed. While I could toss my Omega's resin handle at an intruder and immobilise him and anything he is carrying. Seriously something about the mould is so good, move your fingers around the handle while lathering and completely understand why they put that groove or cut-away where they did...

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'Duke'
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough
Razor: Gillette Slim on 6
Blade: Personna Lab Blue shave 2
After-shave: Jabonman A/S Milk - Coconut and Menthol

Love my vintage Simmo brushes and the Duke does a great job with the D R Harris. I'm not sure how many shaves I've had from the Lab blue but it is still going strong :)

The A/S milk I was dubious about. I don't mind coconut scents and a coconut and lime product a few years ago just took me straight back to childhood and the 'Splice' ice creams that were a special treat sometimes. Coconut and menthol though? I'm not sure that is a combination that should be made - it is just wrong.

Once you get past that the A/S milk is OK. Not as oily as I suspected and quite moisturising. My face feels loved :)

ToBS Shave Shop Cream
Redtip SS
Permasharp Super (0)
Plissson Synth
Prince/Aldi Balm

Fist time I've used the ToBS cream since buying it from Himage and I can honestly say I can see why I've avoided using creams and ToBS products. Smelt and looked very fake/artificial/chemically. The lather is ultra white and after using quality artisan soaps it just feels a little wrong/fake/artificial. The scent is quite benign and the lather was exceedingly easy to generate. Slickness was reasonable same with cushion but well it's just not my cup of tea and I'm annoyed with myself for buying when for years I've gone out of my way NOT to buy creams - moment of weakness. Will definitely be one for a trade/swap down the line as it's not a bad product in any meaningful manner, just a preference thing.

The Aldi-Prince balm is so-so, tad greasy - very generic/handcream scent. I'm not a regular user of balms so can't compare to much but it strikes me as being what you'd expect from a mass produced/supermarket sector AS balm. At $1.79 thats it's point of difference.

ToBS Shave Shop Cream
Redtip SS
Permasharp Super (0)
Plissson Synth
Prince/Aldi Balm

Fist time I've used the ToBS cream since buying it from Himage and I can honestly say I can see why I've avoided using creams and ToBS products. Smelt and looked very fake/artificial/chemically. The lather is ultra white and after using quality artisan soaps it just feels a little wrong/fake/artificial. The scent is quite benign and the lather was exceedingly easy to generate. Slickness was reasonable same with cushion but well it's just not my cup of tea and I'm annoyed with myself for buying when for years I've gone out of my way NOT to buy creams - moment of weakness. Will definitely be one for a trade/swap down the line as it's not a bad product in any meaningful manner, just a preference thing.

The Aldi-Prince balm is so-so, tad greasy - very generic/handcream scent. I'm not a regular user of balms so can't compare to much but it strikes me as being what you'd expect from a mass produced/supermarket sector AS balm. At $1.79 thats it's point of difference.
Thanks for taking one for the team. I'm with you on the creams that are mass-made. (Occams is in a different category IMHO.)

Brush: Virginia Sheng synthetic
Soap/Cream: ShaverHeaven Heavenly Amber
Razor: Progress [3.5]
Blade: Personna Super/LB [2]
After-shave: Floid Vigoroso

Mmmmm...!

He's back!
Never really away @Pjotr just turned from a poster to a lurker for a while - allowed myself some time to learn the posting styles of some of the newer members. I have also been setting up my photographic studio so I can upload exciting photos after each shave with little descriptions such as "this is a brush" etc. By the way PJ like the Proraso Red so my thanks to you.

Never really away @Pjotr just turned from a poster to a lurker for a while - allowed myself some time to learn the posting styles of some of the newer members. I have also been setting up my photographic studio so I can upload exciting photos after each shave with little descriptions such as "this is a brush" etc. By the way PJ like the Proraso Red so my thanks to you.
Back or not, it is good to see you participating again mate :)

Brush: Plisson L'Occy synthetic
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest
Razor: Gillette Rocket HD
Blade: IP Red (2)
After-shave: Proraso Green

Good shave but certainly not outstanding.

Brush: Plisson L'Occy synthetic
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest
Razor: Gillette Rocket HD
Blade: IP Red (2)
After-shave: Proraso Green

Good shave but certainly not outstanding.
What made it average? Hardware, software or both?

Brush: Bodyshop synthetic
Soap/Cream: TOBs Lime
Razor: Webber Classic
Blade: Voskhod
After-shave: NA

Todays shave wasn't a great one, not smooth and not close. I did break out the synthetic because the humidity is now high and the badgers are not drying. I even had some cockroaches eat the tips of my milk churn :(

Status
Not open for further replies.