Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head and face shave, which can sometimes be a bridge too far when they are done together.
Muhle R41
Polsilver Brown (5)
Arko
Semogue 2000

Drafted in the EJ DE86 head with an Astra SP for tidying up. Was a tad tuggy as the Pol was on downslide and the R41 isn't very forgiving. That said am yet to have either a weeper or cut from it but did get some irritation on my neck which is very rare.

Brush: Frank Shaving ST
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Limo-Intense (thanks @Nonick!)
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: GBE [4]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica (spiked with 444)

The sample of the Jabonman Limo-Intense courtesy of @Nonick hit the spot. Icy coolness with the refreshing scent of lime. I halved the sample and forwarded on half to @eggbert so it'll be interesting to hear his thoughts on it.

The face felt smooth and fresh after the Jabonman, but thought a little more Spanish love wouldn't go astray. Long live the Myrsol AB!

I can't take credit for the Myrsol, @Mark1966 Someone else added that to the box. Probably confused me because I've been singing the Myrsol Praises ever since.
Ahh! I think it may have been @Possombelly that added the Myrsol AB. My memory ain't good...

You'll have no regrets! Wait till it's cooler tomorrow morning and enjoy the perfectly balanced jermyn st scent follow you around for an hour.

I cant speak highly enough of the 37c, So efficient but yet so comfortable at the same time. I did try a Astra blade in i for 4-5 shaves last week which was not as smooth so straight on to the perma sharps.
Tobs JS was like milk loading the brush in the heat so overloaded big time, and the AS was like water. Yet still managed a good shave.

Brush: Muhle Synth
Razor: Fatboy on 5
Blade: English Wilky
Cream: Ingrams
A/S: Aqua Velva and 444

Great hot weather shave, even with the Ingrams doing it's usual trick of turning into a thin liquid.

1st shave of the year and tried something new. Was in recent times really impressed with my cold shaves, but somehow missed my warm lather. So today I soaked my brush in hot water and made some fantastic warm lather with Stirling Electric Sheep, but did everything else with cold water (pre-shave wash, face and razor rinse). What a great shave and somehow got the best of both worlds :)

Brush: Smog 1305
Soap/Cream: Proraso Red
Razor: Fatboy & Rocket HD
Blade: IP Red
After-shave: Lucky Tiger

Last free shave - before my return to the rigor (mortis) of work tomorrow, so I thought I'd do a little comparo. I, like most here, have succumbed to the P&C Master Seller (no not @borked, but the Man @Mark1966 ), so I bought a Fatboy as I preferred it to my Slim (which is still available for sale/trade BTW). Mark was also kind enough to lend me a Rocket HD for trial. Since the time to pay has expired (thank you sabbatical!!!) I thought to myself would I trade the Fatboy back with Mark for the Rocket HD (not that he offered but...)? Hence today's test.

Before I move to the razors though, let's look at the lather. The 1305 is much lauded by Smog lovers..."90% Tops" they scream, don't know what that actually 'king means. I say to them, "yeah the brush is OK I s'pose". Bowl lathers just fine. I confess to not having used the Proraso for many, many months....why would you when you have such top shelf artisan soaps and creams. Well I tell you what, give it a go again lads. This 'Italian supermarket cream' is a winner. It's lather is thick, protective, cushioning with decent (not the best) glide. I like it. I was thinking of trading it out during this sabbatical but I think it deserves a place in my cabinet.

Now the razors. Rather than doing the one razor for each side of the face, noting a strong bias with my left or right side - because of my predominant hand, I opted for alternate strokes. Also I wasn't sure of the equivalent setting on the Fatboy. Visually, a "7" looks the equivalent blade gap, but on the face "5-6" feels about right - I went with "6" simply because I am a man. Bottom line the Rocket is smooth and quiet, the weight is more petite too. The Fatboy gives a more audible shave and it inspires confidence in the hand. In motorcycle terms, the Rocket HD is a Yamaha R1 or Suzuki GSX-R1000, while the Fatboy is a Harley. Both seem as efficient - though I'd give the edge to the Fatboy stroke for stroke. So a Rocket HD is an excellent choice for a carefree, smooth shaver. All-in-all a very nice comfortable non-threatening shave from both. So much so the Lucky Tiger seemed the perfect complement....which I usually reserve for non-surgical post-op procedures.

So do I need the care-free smoothness of the Rocket HD enough to trade away my Fatboy?...well, I do have the Weber PH, which I find both smooth and efficient. My thoughts as I type now, is that the Rocket HD offers me nothing the Weber can't, while the Fatboy complements the Weber with it's adjustability....and the R41 (in motorcycle terms the Dodge Tomahawk) for closeness and sheer exhilaration.

...so next comparison must be the Weber vs Rocket HD.

Last edited:
Brush: Chubby 1 Silvertip
Soap: Wickhams Southsea Spray
A/S: European Old Spice and 444

Another very nice shave with some favourites.

Brush: Virginia Sheng synthetic
Soap/Cream: ShaverHeaven Heavenly Amber
Razor: Progress [3]
Blade: Personna Super/LB [1]
After-shave: GFT Skin Food Coral

Brush: Chubby 1 Silvertip
Soap: Wickhams Southsea Spray
A/S: European Old Spice and 444

Another very nice shave with some favourites.
What's the Wickhams Southsea Spray smell like? Is it another "beach" scent?

Status
Not open for further replies.