Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
In due to run out of aftershave soon. What's your interpretation of the floid scent?

Sweet aniseed. A bit powdery when dry. Doesn't last long, don't know any olde tyme after shave that does, except maybe Old Spice and Brut, which are meant to double as man perfume anyway.

h88HarF.png

Brush: Plisson synthetic (original)
Pre-Shave: Occams Original pre-shave
Soap/Cream: Occams Original Shave Cream
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: GBE [2]
After-shave: Jabonman 'Brisa de Oriente' AS milk

Old school powdery barbershop scent.

Sweeter than other old-timers like Tabac, Old Spice, Blue Stratos, I really like the sting, the post-sting feel and the dry-down scent.
Love the Floid. Was going to also use it today but went with the Jabonman instead.

Love the Floid. Was going to also use it today but went with the Jabonman instead.
Floid would be one of my all-time favourite AS lotions - up there besides the Myrsols and Speick - the latter purely for it's restorative value...oh and their mascot.
Honestly if I had just those three in my cabinet I'd need nothing more (noting I'd want one of each flavour of the Myrsol but...)

If you have spent any time in the uk, floid reminds me of either Tunes or Lockets - one of the cough/cold lollies.
I've not had them for a while so I can't remember which.

Not sure about Floid Blue, talking here about their Vigoroso line in particular.
...so how is the Blue @Young Buck ?

Not sure about Floid Blue, talking here about their Vigoroso line in particular.
...so how is the Blue @Young Buck ?
Only tried a sample from peach. Just tossing up prices. Speik is also of interest but again that's about $25 for 100ml.

Floid blue is a soft sweet smell with a slight metallic base to it.

Basically I want something effective and nice smelling that doesn't mess with my adp cologne.

Brush: Vie-Long 12705
Soap/Cream: C&E Moroccan Myrrh / TOBS Jermyn St cream
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra [0]
After-shave: L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive ASB

So... C&E Moroccan Myrrh... I couldn't for the life of me get it to lather. It was a Christmas present. This was my first time using it. No love, whatsoever. I'm not sure what (if anything) I was doing wrong. Loaded up, but even then it looked sudsy and gross. Tried to lather, but nothing. So I cleaned out the brush, re-loaded with a dry brush, and had another crack. Still no love. Why?!? Surely a company like C&E wouldn't produce such a dodgy product...

So, eventually I gave up, washed my face off and the brush, loaded some TOBS Jermyn St cream in, and within 30 seconds I had a beautiful lather to play with.

Was my first shave on this astra blade (by the way, does the numbering system for blades include the current shave and so put 1 for a new blade, or do you put 0 for a new blade?). I didn't feel super comfortable for this shave. I could feel some irritation. Not sure if it was that I haven't used the 34C in a while and I'm not used to it... Or maybe I much prefer Personna blades (which I have had in the DE89)... Plus, I gave myself a small nick, which I haven't done in a while...

In summary, a disappointing new years shave, on many counts. It can only go up from here.

If I recall correctly @MrT C&E figured quite highly in the Worst Performer of 2014 stakes - and I believe it may have earned line honours for unlatherability . So it wasn't you mate, it was her. I'd thank the gifter for the gesture and return the favour with a nice smelling C&E Moroccan Myrrh bath/shower soap.

I've been daily using C&E West Indian Lime now for over 6 months and have read all the reports of people unable to get a lather. I have not found a problem getting a good lather, just not as slick and cushion lather as some of the creams I have used (tube of Proraso Red and various sample packs). This is the only hard soap I have used though as soon as JGS has more stock I intend to order his soap (and AS).

Dale.

I've been daily using C&E West Indian Lime now for over 6 months and have read all the reports of people unable to get a lather. I have not found a problem getting a good lather, just not as slick and cushion lather as some of the creams I have used (tube of Proraso Red and various sample packs). This is the only hard soap I have used though as soon as JGS has more stock I intend to order his soap (and AS).

Dale.
You said it yourself: the lather isn't as slick and cushiony as Proraso Red. So it's not worth it. Not worth it in price, time or energy. There are so many more soaps that are better for the same price point or cheaper!

I had the C&E WI Lime as well earlier last year. Paltry lather which you had to work very hard for and it didn't last. It really brings down the reputation of hard soaps. I'm using it now as a bath soap.

I've been daily using C&E West Indian Lime now for over 6 months and have read all the reports of people unable to get a lather. I have not found a problem getting a good lather, ...

So you should be interested in the EoY sale lot I have with C&E soaps included :)

... as soon as JGS has more stock I intend to order his soap (and AS).

Dale.

This sounds like a legitimate sabbatical exception @stillshunter - what do you think?

This sounds like a legitimate sabbatical exception @stillshunter - what do you think?
Nope , but then again @Dale.Whiley has made abundantly clear he is counter-balancing our anti-capitalist ethos and supporting the mercantile classes and bourgeoisie through this small uprising. Let him eat cake! ;)

Nope , but then again @Dale.Whiley has made abundantly clear he is counter-balancing our anti-capitalist ethos and supporting the mercantile classes and bourgeoisie through this small uprising. Let him eat cake! ;)

Tough standards!

@Mark1966
@stillshunter

Won't be hard to stick to my guns. As a Non-Sabbatical member I'll be able to enjoy any product I find interesting and not have to worry about you blokes leaving the cupbord bare by the time I get there. Mind you, at one soap and brush (2 razors though - SR & DE). And please think of those that desperately need you to purchase. And Australia's credit rating.

I've just come to the revelation that my humanitarian side cannot allow me to take part in this sabbatical. All these soap/brush/AS/balm/shaver makers have normal people like us working for them. People who rely on our purchases to have a job, feed and clothe their families, provide a secure and safe home, ... ... ... I couldn't possibly sleep at night knowing that my stinginess was the cause of a family living on the streets. C'mon blokes, think of others. And the economy. It is our responsibility to keep the wheels of industry turning and so our nation great. (Well this gets me off the hook - others please feel free to use this excuse).

Bring on 2015.

Dale.

Brush: Vie-Long 12705
Soap/Cream: C&E Moroccan Myrrh / TOBS Jermyn St cream
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra [0]
After-shave: L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive ASB

So... C&E Moroccan Myrrh... I couldn't for the life of me get it to lather. It was a Christmas present. This was my first time using it. No love, whatsoever. I'm not sure what (if anything) I was doing wrong. Loaded up, but even then it looked sudsy and gross. Tried to lather, but nothing. So I cleaned out the brush, re-loaded with a dry brush, and had another crack. Still no love. Why?!? Surely a company like C&E wouldn't produce such a dodgy product...

So, eventually I gave up, washed my face off and the brush, loaded some TOBS Jermyn St cream in, and within 30 seconds I had a beautiful lather to play with.

Was my first shave on this astra blade (by the way, does the numbering system for blades include the current shave and so put 1 for a new blade, or do you put 0 for a new blade?). I didn't feel super comfortable for this shave. I could feel some irritation. Not sure if it was that I haven't used the 34C in a while and I'm not used to it... Or maybe I much prefer Personna blades (which I have had in the DE89)... Plus, I gave myself a small nick, which I haven't done in a while...

In summary, a disappointing new years shave, on many counts. It can only go up from here.

Just a another method that may work. Try loading/building a lather in the soap bowl with a fully soaked brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.