Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday's SOTD
Brush: Simpson M6

Razor: Rocket HD

Blade: English Wilky

Soap: Wickhams Southsea Spray

A/S: Myrsol Formula K

What should've been a nice shave actually turned out to be very crappy, owing to my own stupidity. I managed to take a chunk out of the side of my nose. 20 minute of bleeding and half a tube of Proraso styptic gel and I think I've learned not to do that again. Not really sure how I managed to do it in the first place.
Third and final use of the Myrsol, wish it wasn't but it doesn't agree with my skin.

Yesterday's SOTD
Brush: Simpson M6

Razor: Rocket HD

Blade: English Wilky

Soap: Wickhams Southsea Spray

A/S: Myrsol Formula K

What should've been a nice shave actually turned out to be very crappy, owing to my own stupidity. I managed to take a chunk out of the side of my nose. 20 minute of bleeding and half a tube of Proraso styptic gel and I think I've learned not to do that again. Not really sure how I managed to do it in the first place.
Third and final use of the Myrsol, wish it wasn't but it doesn't agree with my skin.

Sorry to hear that mate - esp. if there was no lesson learned into the bargain. I suppose sometimes the Gods of Hair Loss want their blood....thankfully mine's been one gash of the chin a couple of weeks back....oh and 15 years of feeding them hair from the only area of my I don't want harvested.

BTW: some nice gear right there!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: [Stirling Soap Company - Black Cherry] Panna Crema Vetiver
Razor: Gillette #58 / Gillette Slim on 6
Blade: P74 shave ? / Personna Lab Blue shave 2
After-shave: Mysol Agua Balsamica

I was going to try the Stirling again, truly - but on opening it up I decided that life is too short. It works well but polarising scents - time to move on.

Similarly without thinking I grabbed the #58 still on the countertop with the P74. One cheek later and I swapped to the Slim and Lab Blue. Bye bye P74

The rest of the shave was uneventfully good. Panna Crema works well without being outstanding and the Mysol sample (thanks again @filobiblic!) is great stuff.

Happy days!

..... I managed to take a chunk out of the side of my nose...

Ouch! Did something similar a few weeks ago - sliced my nose and I didn't know how. A warning to all :)

CTR with Polsilver SI (thanks borked, these are great)
Berkeley
Occams crushed lime (thanks egg)

The occams scents have a nasty habit of growing on you. I was ho hum about this one so thought I'd use it again. It's ok. It's a very dry indistinct scent, without the zesty bite I like in citrus. I like the original better. Still lathers like a dream

Panna Crema works well without being outstanding and the Mysol sample (thanks again @filobiblic!) is great stuff.

Happy days)
That Myrsol (included in the P&CTB2) was courtesy of @LifesaPeach . He was the one who got us all hooked on the stuff!!! (I gave you some other Myrsol scents...)

CTR with Polsilver SI (thanks borked, these are great)
Berkeley
Occams crushed lime (thanks egg)

The occams scents have a nasty habit of growing on you. I was ho hum about this one so thought I'd use it again. It's ok. It's a very dry indistinct scent, without the zesty bite I like in citrus. I like the original better. Still lathers like a dream
Occams is great stuff! I agree.

Hey, what's with the lack of str8 shaving happening these days?

Brush: Plisson synthetic (original)
Pre-Shave: Hot towel
Soap/Cream: D.R. Harris Arlington
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: GBE [3]
After-shave: Natio for Men AS balm
Scent: D.R. Harris Arlington cologne (Thanks for the sample @Nonick!)

That Myrsol (included in the P&CTB2) was courtesy of @LifesaPeach . He was the one who got us all hooked on the stuff!!! (I gave you some other Myrsol scents...)

OOPS - sorry @Lifes a Peach for the false attribution. My thanks to you good sir!

Brush: Vie-Long 12705
Soap/Cream: L'Occitane Cade
Razor: 34C
Blade: Astra [2]
After-shave: Alum followed by L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive PSB

After yesterday's fail, I got back on the horse and tried another Christmas present. L'Occitane Cade. In my mind they were in similar categories - soaps from fancy cosmetic boutiques. But that is where the similarities end. This soap was EXCELLENT. Such a great lather. HEAPS of glide - wow it was slippery stuff. Good post shave. Very happy with this present.

I'm still not convinced on the 34c/astra combo though...

Brush is coming along nicely. It could still do with some softening, but the funky smell is almost gone :)

After yesterday's fail, I got back on the horse and tried another Christmas present. L'Occitane Cade. In my mind they were in similar categories - soaps from fancy cosmetic boutiques. But that is where the similarities end. This soap was EXCELLENT. Such a great lather. HEAPS of glide - wow it was slippery stuff. Good post shave. Very happy with this present.
L'Occitane makes some great products. The Cade is meant to be a good hard soap. The C&E has got nothing on them...

Brush is coming along nicely. It could still do with some softening, but the funky smell is almost gone :)
Horse takes a while to lose the smell... Hopefully it'll soften further in time.

Occams is great stuff! I agree.

Hey, what's with the lack of str8 shaving happening these days?

Razor is in at Oz getting a tune up. To be honest it was when I started enjoying the Dreadful Embarrassment that I realised how dull my straight had got.

The DE is very easy, although when the R41 comes it may return concentration levels to normal again

Razor is in at Oz getting a tune up. To be honest it was when I started enjoying the Dreadful Embarrassment that I realised how dull my straight had got.

The DE is very easy, although when the R41 comes it may return concentration levels to normal again
Oh that's right. You previously mentioned that The Magician Oz was working his magic.

Has your hone arrived yet?

Col Conk probably shines when compared to C&E ;)

So... C&E Moroccan Myrrh... I couldn't for the life of me get it to lather. It was a Christmas present. This was my first time using it. No love, whatsoever. I'm not sure what (if anything) I was doing wrong. Loaded up, but even then it looked sudsy and gross. Tried to lather, but nothing. So I cleaned out the brush, re-loaded with a dry brush, and had another crack. Still no love. Why?!? Surely a company like C&E wouldn't produce such a dodgy product...

My experience with their Sandalwood too. Just plain terrible. C&E is hardly what I'd call a hi quality retailer of anything. Seems to be mostly cheap smelling mumsy skin products.

My experience with their Sandalwood too. Just plain terrible. C&E is hardly what I'd call a hi quality retailer of anything. Seems to be mostly cheap smelling mumsy skin products.

Yeah anybody that sells 'cookies' and confectionary and drawer liners as well as soaps is sus to me.

I'm curious to see if the ingredients of their shave soaps are any different to their other soaps ....

Brush: Aesop - 23mm STF2 synthetic
Soap/Cream: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: R41 '13
Blade: Muhle
After-shave: Floid 'Vigoroso'

I keep jabbering on about the Jabonman and so thought I'd really test its mettle by lathering with the STF2 and shaving with the R41. The lather produced was impeccable, if there were bubbles they were minute. This synth gives you so much control as it doesn't harbour water, you add the water as you need, no anticipation of the vagaries hidden deep within the knot. Now to the shave, the R41 can be unforgiving, very unforgiving. The lather offered great cushion and protection. I thought maybe a little more glide would be nice - though I added a little more water to the lather and it gained nicer slip. The R41 and Jabonman played nicely together though it could be better:

Lessons learned today:
1. The R41 does better with a sharper blade. I think the Muhle (albeit a new blade) a little dull for it...even so nothing gets as close as an R41 (well anything with a double edge anyway)
2. The STF2 synth is an amazing brush - no denying it. I spent much of today's shave wondering why I don't reach for it more often. I developed the theory by pass three that it's maybe a little too perfect - like a west coast girl you'd see on telly (no not our west coast, WA, ewwwwww) all blond, and crafted skilfully by a fitness instructor and plastic surgeon, but there's something missing. Maybe this is why I always reach for my more flawed yet characterful badgers or boars? Not sure...

Last edited:
... maybe a little too perfect - like a west coast girl you'd see on telly (no not our west coast, WA, ewwwwww) all blond, and crafted skilfully by a fitness instructor and plastic surgeon, but there's something missing. Maybe this is why I always reach for my more flawed yet characterful badgers or boars? Not sure...

You don't let your wife see what you type on here do you ???

So is mine - I'm very blessed!
We both are....esp. when you consider neither is likely on some other forum extolling the virtue of their husbands :oops: ...I might get some points for effort and trying. Oh how I can be trying...

Status
Not open for further replies.