Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've kept away from SOTD for a while now - it seemed that pictures of styptic and bandaids aren't much of a crowd pleaser no metter how well the photography is executed :(

Finally however, something worth posting about has taken place :

070715_zps5fcbxdmc.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol
Brush : Thater Dual Band Silvertip
Soap : Cold River Soapworks Fougere Moderne - with thanks to @Lifes a Peach
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori - superbly honed and prepared by @Mark
After Shave : Musgo Real Orange Amber

After quite a few difficult days involving nicks, blood, contortion and frustration (and the ever present expectation of more nicks and blood) I have finally managed to complete two shaves with the Kamisori. And this with only a weeper or two. To be fair, neither shave was fully BBS but there have been some significant patches of very smooth finish. For me, I'm happy and pleased to have made it this far, and am really looking forward to the day when I can wield the Kami with the same easy confidence I feel with my favourire DE's these days.

The Sputniks on the other hand are very poor blades - very glad I had the protection of Haslinger! They are in the same league for me as the Rapira Super Stainless, not sharp and very rough.
Why you been slumming it blades-wise recently @alfredus ?

070715_zps5fcbxdmc.png

What's Japanese for "drool"? I'm not reading the bloody bits, just drool....

Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: S10108
Cream: La Toja
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR

It was my fourth and final shave with a blade that was feeling dull by the end of the first pass. I pushed on to see how ageing Gem blades perform and feel. In the end I got a good clean shave from three passes and my skin feels great. I experienced no cuts, weepers or irritation. When the VIBR went on I knew about it though.

Next shave I think I'll try the 1912.

Last edited:
I've kept away from SOTD for a while now - it seemed that pictures of styptic and bandaids aren't much of a crowd pleaser no metter how well the photography is executed :(

070715_zps5fcbxdmc.png

After quite a few difficult days involving nicks, blood, contortion and frustration (and the ever present expectation of more nicks and blood) I have finally managed to complete two shaves with the Kamisori. And this with only a weeper or two. To be fair, neither shave was fully BBS but there have been some significant patches of very smooth finish. For me, I'm happy and pleased to have made it this far, and am really looking forward to the day when I can wield the Kami with the same easy confidence I feel with my favourire DE's these days.

WOW - that was in record time! Very glad you finally got a result you are happy with and well done for (almost) taming the Kami!!!

Why you been slumming it blades-wise recently @alfredus

I just have a bunch of blades I've been wanting to try out and now am going systematically through them with the Wolf. Will do the same with the BBS-1. Some (like the Sputnik) are discarded after 1 shave - some (like the Ladas) are on the list for the next large blade order from Russia ;)

Can't believe you don't rate the Sputnik.
I do rate them - very poorly :D :D :D

I think we are just on the opposite spectrum in terms of our skin: judging by your love for more aggressive razors, harsher blades and brushes with more backbone you just seem to have a face of steel while I'm just a weakling, who needs cotton gloves on his blades...

I guess products we both rate high (ie Voskhods, RRSS) are made for the gods :D :D :D

I just have a bunch of blades I've been wanting to try out and now am going systematically through them with the Wolf. Will do the same with the BBS-1. Some (like the Sputnik) are discarded after 1 shave - some (like the Ladas) are on the list for the next large blade order from Russia ;)
Great idea, watching intently.
Reckon @Pjotr might have a few blades you could try that are even worse than the Sputnik (sure he did a Worse Blade Ever challenge recently)

I do rate them - very poorly :D :D :D

I think we are just on the opposite spectrum in terms of our skin: judging by your love for more aggressive razors, harsher blades and brushes with more backbone you just seem to have a face of steel while I'm just a weakling, who needs cotton gloves on his blades...

The only thing harsh about Sputnik are your comments about them!

;)

Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: S10108
Cream: La Toja
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR

It was my fourth and final shave with a blade that was feeling dull by the end of the first pass. I pushed on to see how ageing Gem blades perform and feel. In the end I got a good clean shave from three passes and my skin feels great. I experienced no cuts, weepers or irritation. When the VIBR went on I knew about it though.

Next shave I think I'll try the 1912.

Interesting thing with SE blades is they will keep shaving past their best without tugging - too badly.

Interesting thing with SE blades is they will keep shaving past their best without tugging - too badly.

Yeh, it's quite a different sensation to a dull DE blade. The ageing SE blade gets the job done in a painless, bloodless fashion. I'm sure it's the sturdiness of the blade that does it. An old DE blade is just plain uncomfortable.

I could squeeze out a couple more shaves from that Gem but I figure that the 27 cents it cost has been adequately amortised over the four shaves it's given me.

Brush : Semogue Cerda
Soap : Stirling Ben Franklin
Razor : Valet Autostrop
Blade: Feather FHS-5 (2)
After Shave : Thayer's Witch Hazel and Myrsol Blue

Help me, fellas! These Single Edge razors have got me in their death grip. Now on the hunt for my very own Valet razor.

"This is my last shave purchase, Honey! I promise you this time". Yep.

Where did all this SE action come from....teach me to head off on a business trip!

I blame that SE enabler, @bald as . He came onto the scene just as you were slipping away on your business junket. Add some encouragement from the original SE trouble maker, @Pjotr and the world has gone amuck.

I blame that SE enabler, @bald as . He came onto the scene just as you were slipping away on your business junket. Add some encouragement from the original SE trouble maker, @Pjotr and the world has gone amuck.
Thanks LaP. And of course they were just allowed to get away with it. Yep.....typical.

So where doe's one start....

070715_zps5fcbxdmc.png

Lovely piece there @Draco Noir . Glad you are getting the hang of it. Look forward to more reviews on the かみそり as you master it.

That would be よだれ (yo da re) according to my son

Brush: Erskine ReKnot
Soap/Cream: Ginger's Garden Aventus
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol

Razor and soap again courtesy of @MrT [emoji106]

Thanks LaP. And of course they were just allowed to get away with it. Yep.....typical.

So where doe's one start....

Safe bet is to start with a GEM 1912 or something milder. The Ever Ready 1924 may just be a bit too agro to kick things off.

Why you been slumming it blades-wise recently @alfredus ?

よだれ

I feel a correction is warranted here.
THE original SE trouble maker would be our very own @gthomas04 due to said method taking his namesake!

Status
Not open for further replies.