Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush : Semogue Cerda
Soap : Stirling Ben Franklin
Razor : Valet Autostrop
Blade: Feather FHS-5 (2)
After Shave : Thayer's Witch Hazel and Myrsol Blue

Help me, fellas! These Single Edge razors have got me in their death grip. Now on the hunt for my very own Valet razor.

"This is my last shave purchase, Honey! I promise you this time". Yep.

Look for a VC1 [I think that is the model] as it will take a de spined GEM blade.

Steve

--------
So where doe's one start....

There is a wide range of SE razors from very mild to oh dear I lost a lip. The mildest SE is the FeatherWeight to the Micromatic Open Comb as the most aggressive. With care even that is an enjoyable shave.

Mild with an SE is not really like DE mild. The shave is different, different technique but great results.

If you want to get started I can offer you a 1912 style razor plus a few blades for a small amount plus postage. The 1912 is regarded by most as a good place to start.

Steve

Tuesday 7 July 2015

206050d1436277259-sun-july-05th-sat-july-11th-sotd-07072015.jpg

New Brush, New Test

Yesterday I met a gentleman here in Milan who has a razor he said it was dull and not suitable for shaving, but he really wanted to use this razor for shaving as he wished to get into the art of straight razor shaving. He wanted me to hone this razor, so I went to his house and - by using a Belgian coticule and a Mastro Livi loom strop - I honed and fixed his razor. He was so happy he could now shave with this razor that he wanted to give me an Omega brush as a sign of gratitude. I too was happy because we now have another convert to straight razors. I used this Omega Professional 10098 bristle brush in my today's shave and it was also the occasion to test my shaving soap with it. Smooth and velvety with an outstanding huge quantity of creamy and fluffy lather, I am very happy with my shaving soap, although I am already working on a new formula because I want it to be even better. As for the razor, this Mastro Livi "the Last New Grind" is always reliable and impeccable, not to mention the elegant and super refreshing splash of Floïd Blue.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Professional 10098
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

Not sure what legal permission you would need.

Pop it in the post, done!!

Ummm, mate, poor old @razorguy lives in Italy, you know, part of the EU - the home of regulations and rules. They even have regulations on regulations, you have to fill in three forms just to join the queue to lodge the forms. The forms also have to be printed in every language of the EU, even if it not used in its country of origin.

To send you a gift probably requires two days of paperwork and don't get me started on what would be needed if money changed hands!

Razor: R41 (2013) on Bulldog handle
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: Jabonman Mountain
Aftershave: B&M Kvoyu

Another small nick but a good close result...

Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: 7OC Black (1)
Brush: Smog 730HD
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver cream

Same same, added the balm today. Good all round, got the cream-brush ratio closer to optimal this morning. One small weeper on the neck.

.........Help me, fellas! These Single Edge razors have got me in their death grip. Now on the hunt for my very own Valet razor.........

They used to appear on e-bay all the time.

Where did all this SE action come from....teach me to head off on a business trip!

I think bald as joining tipped the balance from what obviously was considered a daft idea used by one or two kranks to something that might be worth a try.

........So where does one start....

A Featherweight in my experience. The mildest one out there. @Mark1966 has got one I think.

Excellent shave, the Merkur is nice and mild and easy to shave with, giving a smooth finish. Loving the Latha more and more, what a great soap.
Latha is a great soap. [emoji106]

If you like the Merkur Barberpole (38C) then you'd love the Weber Polished Head. It is unfortunate they don't make them anymore (perhaps again soon?). But if you see one they give a similar - but possibly smoother - shave.

Latha is a great soap. [emoji106]

If you like the Merkur Barberpole (38C) then you'd love the Weber Polished Head. It is unfortunate they don't make them anymore (perhaps again soon?). But if you see one they give a similar - but possibly smoother - shave.
The barber pole was my first razor and it is just so easy to use, it was the perfect introduction to DE shaving.

The barber pole was my first razor and it is just so easy to use, it was the perfect introduction to DE shaving.
It has the same head as the Merkur 34C which MANY people started on. The handle is longer and has more elaborate knurling (at least the chrome version does).

It was my 2nd razor. It is a good intro to DE shaving. [emoji106]

Brush: Erskine ReKnot
Soap/Cream: Ginger's Garden Aventus
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol

Razor and soap again courtesy of @MrT [emoji106]

Thoughts on razor and soap?

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vulfix #849 Pure Badger
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (9)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & êShave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

A little rushed today - too cold to get out of bed - so I may have skimped a little on the prep and felt a few tugs around the chin with the La Brunes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.