Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four and a half days of growth to cut through today. First time in the last 12 months I have missed a day shaving (apart from 3-4) since I started with my straight 12 months ago and through that introduced to DE shaving. Shaving has been something I've looked forward to each day but I've been on a week off and my wife has kept me hopping (well walking actually-every day/plus going places) while I'm supposed to be doing major work on her car. The best laid plans of mice and men ... ... ... where does that saying come from??? Mice and men???

Anyway - the shave.

No prep - cold water
Bush: Body Shop synth
Soap: Dr Jon's Classic
Razor: Dovo SS 5/8 Straight
Aftershave: none - shave is so good I'm just enjoying the "clean" feel

I received the Dr Jon's Classic from @Nonick . This is a soft, soft soap. I had an interesting issue with my lather setup. I used this soap and synth for the 3 days before my "shave sabbatical" finishing what was in my bowl this afternoon. I find that the synth forms a lather in the bowl better than face lathering, especially with this Dr Jon's Classic croap. I find I have to keep adding water to get a good shave lather which is much better to control and judge in the bowl than face lathering. The synth just keeps pumping out lather in the bowl. Is bowl lathering easier because of material construction (synthetic Vs badger which I haven't tried on this soap but produces a great face lather normally), the ability to watch & monitor the water added to a bowl lather or just this croap makes loading a brush more difficult to load the synth preparing for a face lather? (This croap sits in the brush in clumps - next time I try this croap it may be worthwhile moistening the soap in the tub first to allow an easier load ... ... ... next time). The variables presented require further "controlled" testing and any helpful input by the knowledgeable members on this site.

Bowl lather was excellent. I could detect woody/earthy scents (vetiver) and citrus. Really liked the scent. Four and a half days growth required 2 x first passes WTG. This was followed by my usual XTG and ATG with a cleanup of the trouble spots on my neck. A great shave all round.
John Steinbeck is the author of a book called Of Mice and Men. Something about the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. It means that even the best plans can go wrong or something along those lines. Anyway back to the shaving.

John Steinbeck is the author of a book called Of Mice and Men. Something about the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. It means that even the best plans can go wrong or something along those lines. Anyway back to the shaving.

Well actually ...

Steinbeck got the title for 'Of Mice and Men' from an old Scottish poem by Robert Burns - To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough 1785.

It tells of how he, while ploughing a field, upturned a mouse's nest. The resulting poem is an apology to the mouse with the second last stanza reading -

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o' Mice an' Men
Gang aft agley,
[often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

The highlighted section becoming the oft quoted phrase.

I knew having a English teacher as a wife would come in handy!

[/English lesson]

Well actually ...

Steinbeck got the title for 'Of Mice and Men' from an old Scottish poem by Robert Burns - To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough 1785.

It tells of how he, while ploughing a field, upturned a mouse's nest. The resulting poem is an apology to the mouse with the second last stanza reading -

Gang aft agley,
[often go awry]
For promis'd joy!

The highlighted section becoming the oft quoted phrase.

I knew having a English teacher as a wife would come in handy!

[/English lesson]
Absolutely correct. Year 10 english for myself.

:whistle: BOT

REeXiPL.png

I've never questioned what it meant until today. I can go to bed now ... ... ... I've gained in the life skill of knowledge today.

Quote it to your wife - she will be sooooo impressed :)

Well actually ...

Gang aft agley,
[often go awry]
For promis'd joy!

I think the poem itself sounds a lot better than the title.

@filobiblic How did you go with the 1924? :)
Thanks for the videos that showed correct technique. It meant I could confidently shave knowing I had the correct angle for an SE.

It went well- quite smooth. I did a two pass (WTG > XTG) full shave across the face. It was very efficient and slightly uncomfortable. That was due to both my technique (not many shaves with a SE) and the "raw blade" against the skin. It seems to me that a SE is similar to a shavette with much more razor blade to the skin. A str8 is a more forgiving blade.

The trickiest section is under the nose. It's just awkward. [emoji53] I guess the technique could improve over time and it's like a str8 in that you require a different technique for that section.

Thanks for the loan. It's been great to trial a Single Edge razor and see what it's like. [emoji106]

20150705_SOTDS_zpsnzfvnw8g.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Seems like I'm the only one enjoying a Sunday shave :D

Lots of time as I got up at 6:30 today and so had a really long nice shave - perfect!

Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem
Brush: S10108
Soap: Palmolive
Aftershave: Antesol

That was a stellar shave. Much much nicer than the Featherweight. Two passes did the job but I went for a third as I was enjoying it so much.

I haven't mastered the technique yet but I already really enjoy the SE shave experience. Cheers @boldsworth for the hook up and @bald as for the moral support.

Seems like I'm the only one enjoying a Sunday shave :D

Correct, I didn't enjoy mine much at all.

Had time, wanted to make it special, opened second drawer - nothing 'special' in there, I use the good stuff EVERY day.

Oh well #firstworldproblem

I had a good shave this morning, although I was slightly disconcerted to see my tobs jermyn St cream had set and is now a firm croap instead of the cream it once was.

Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem
Brush: S10108
Soap: Palmolive
Aftershave: Antesol

That was a stellar shave. Much much nicer than the Featherweight. Two passes did the job but I went for a third as I was enjoying it so much.

I haven't mastered the technique yet but I already really enjoy the SE shave experience. Cheers @boldsworth for the hook up and @bald as for the moral support.

The MMBT is a very good razor. Glad you are enjoying the experience.

I've never questioned what it meant until today. I can go to bed now ... ... ... I've gained in the life skill of knowledge today.
While at it "..." are known as ellipsis and denote an unspoken given, oft in the form of an incomplete sentence, yet can be a singular word, right up to an entire sentence, without detracting from the meaning.
Accordingly, only one is needed...

Sunday 5 July 2015

205859d1436106674-sun-july-05th-sat-july-11th-sotd-05072015.jpg

Testing my Shaving Soap with Different Oils

I am still testing my shaving soap in any possible condition I can. Different brushes, different water hardness and, now, different pre-shave products. While I am using the very same straight razor - the very last Mastro Livi New Grind, the last one of a long and glorious series - this time I used Floïd shave oil instead of my pre-shave oil. The soap seemed to perform excellently and seemed not to be particularly affected by this oil, although I admit my pre-shave oil seems to do a better job on this regard. Shave was impeccable as usual and, of course, thanks to this amazing and unique Mastro Livi straight razor: not just a piece of history, but also an excellent and breathtaking beautiful masterpiece.​
  • Pre-Shave: Floïd Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Status
Not open for further replies.