Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush: shavemac #177
Soap/Cream: MWF
Razor: George Butler 5/8 KEEN
After-shave: Pinaud's Clubman

Didn't get into work today, still feeling absolutely rotten but thought I should coax a shave out of myself, if I have any hope of joining civilisation tomorrow. Being the first shave in well over a week, I looked a picture but one benefit is that it gave me a refresher in understanding the grain of my beard. Pffft comes and goes everywhere! Armed with this renewed insight I thought a straight shave was in order.

Must say there is a certain buzz with witnessing a week's worth of thick stubble simply wipe away with the lather. All-in-all I think I am sort of getting a handle on using the straight, albeit with a few caveats.
1. can't get anywhere as close as I do with a DE yet. Though I never go ATG.
2. still struggling with the jawline and neck (anything other than WTG on the neck feels like a dare)
3. I left the other problematic area - the moustache and 'soul patch' (under lip), as I always think I look cool with a mo. So I leave it grown and visit myself in the mirror every few minutes just to click my fingers Arthur Fonzarelli style and remind myself that I look the money. This, without fail, lasts as long as it takes for my wife to return home and inform me of the obligation to 'get rid of that thing on your face',
4. I didn't fall back on the DE to catch any wayward patches, but then I'm not going outside at all. Could I get away without the DE rescue? Well depends if there's benefit in looking like Team America member Gary post- undercover op.
hqdefault.jpg

I was going to post something but then I saw all the recent SE postings and decided against it. Feel almost like a traitor when I shave with a DE. I made the mistake of loading a vintage Schick and you know what that's like, it'll be a month before you look at another blade, SE or otherwise.

My shaves of recent months are so boring in comparison. I sold my house moved everything in storage- bar a plisson,a 37c and a soap commander soap. I can't wait to find another house so I can open up all my goodies again...
Which part of Oz are you in again? You could meet up with a local wet shaver and swap/borrow some different gear for a week or two.

Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: 7OC Black (0)
Brush: Smog 730HD
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver cream

The Polsilver ran it's course, 4 shaves and done. Reached into the box again and came up with a 7OC Black so in it goes.
Decent 2-pass shave, although I don't seem to get the results on the neck with more modern blades.

Anyhow, had enough lather for another half dozen passes. The Simpsons is insane like that - just fills up whatever brush you use with lather. Slowly getting through it, might take me a month but I will finish it.

Wow @filobiblic ...never knew you'd graduated to the finest DE razor crafted. So what do you think of the AS-D2?
It's probably the finest modern DE I've used. (But I'd need to borrow some of @alfredus' lovely DEs to be able to confirm [emoji12]). Beautifully made and aesthetically pleasing.

It's a lovely shaver. It'd make a smooth daily razor for sure. Not sure I'd plonk the cash on this personally but I may be tempted one day.

Pre-Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066B
Soap Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (7)
Post Shave Alum, Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & êShave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Not sure what went wrong this morning but neck area suffered serious razor burn - probably too much pressure. Alum stung like only alum can - actually a styptic pencil is usually worse - but the êShave AS balm calmed it all down.

The la brune WS is still smooth at 7 shaves no tugging at all yet - damm you @Monsta_AU. Now I have yet more things on my unable to find on ebay list.

Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem (2)
Brush: S10108
Soap: MWF
Aftershave: Floid Blue

This was the 3rd shave on the Gem blade. One more will be fine but anything more than that will be less than optimal I feel. I could be wrong though. I damaged this blade when I first loaded it (the technique is quite different from loading a DE) and I haven't dried it properly after shaving with it, so I don't want to make too many statements about blade longevity at this point.

The MMBT would make an ideal daily shaver. It's so gentle. It seems really hard to irritate the skin with it because the angle of attack is so acute. It was another great shave. The extra slickness that MWF brings to the table is very nice with this way of shaving.

I really love the SE way of doing things.

-------
In the meantime I'd like to immerse myself in the SE universe to find out which is my favourite.

I have nearly everyone in the SE universe as does @boldsworth so between us you will be covered. I will bring my MM open comb and my MM Clog Pruf to our next get together. They do actually demand a serious amount of initial attention.

Zpdocqv.jpg

Razor:
Valet Auto Strop
Blade: Feather - fresh blade
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse
Soap: Shaver Heaven Jasmin
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel & Fine American Blend

Back to the SE's and this time it's another piece of fine history, the Valet Auto Strop. Kindly loaned to me by @Anthony . It did a sterling job for a 2-pass shave. Not as close as an aggressive Ever-Ready 1924, but so much kinder to the face. Excellent for getting those tricky hairs under the nose and in the small crevices of my chin.

Shaver Heaven in Jasmine was a first for me as well. We all know how sensational it lathers up and the Jasmine scent is just as good.

Rounded it off with another first - Fine Accoutrements American Blend. Dries so fast - almost on application! Nice cooling sensation. Smells to me like TOBS Mr Taylor's. A real classic Barbershop scent.

Edited highlights SOTD as the only thing that changes is the soap.
Occam's Original.

Great lather, love the scent in the jar, just not sure about it as a shaving soap which shows in the number of shaves I have had with it - which must be less than 5.

Anyone want to swap for something?

Razor: R41 (2013) on Bulldog handle
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: B&M Roam
Aftershave: B&M Kvoyu

Time to saddle up again ...

I have an evening meeting and no time to shave again so wanted the bestest, closest shave I could get to try and hold off the dreaded 5 o'clock shadow.

Based on experience with the R41 (2011) I thought I would change things up with the 2013 and throw in a Feather.

I'm not sure whether it is the sharpness of the Feather or me taking a much lighter touch in fear but far less irritation than with the Personna Lab Blue. One small nick due to my stupidity but cleaned up OK.

Time will tell during shaves over the next couple of days but it reinforces my view that it is the razor/blade combo rather than the individual elements that determines performance.

20150707_SOTDS_zpsslo25y16.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Sputnik (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Finally a really ugly morning here and a great excuse to get out some Haslinger Schafmilch. I so love the performance of this soap - if they would do this with a decent scent, it would be my #1 soap....if you don't believe me:

PaladinbChiefHaslingerS_zpsin5b1okf.jpg

Purely face lathered without any faking and one pass already on my face and I would say another 6 passes on the brush :cool:

The Sputniks on the other hand are very poor blades - very glad I had the protection of Haslinger! They are in the same league for me as the Rapira Super Stainless, not sharp and very rough.

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap & êShave Pre-Shave Oil Verbena Lime
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066B
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (8)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & êShave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Quick shave to today, only two passes as I'm trying to give my neck a chance to recover from yesterday. The horse hair performed well with a face lather, managed to keep most of the lather on the brush or my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.