Not open for further replies.
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson
Soap: Vintage Penhaligon's English Fern
Razor: Leresche #51
Blade: Personna Blue (1).
Aftershave: Floid

My pics are not as fancy as others -

The Leresche has an interesting two tier open comb design -

Reputedly quiet aggressive I found it very relaxing and peaceful after the MMOC! The Pen's EF is as good as always - thanks again @Young Buck ! - and the result overall a wonderful smooth shave.

The Floid dripped as usual :(

No shave today just a test face lather of a shave soap made last night with Stearic acid, coconut, avocado, caster oils and glycerin. This is a good lathering soap and loads the brush quite easily. Interesting to have a green coloured shaving soap from the avocado oil. This recipe is a harder soap but loads easily. I have yet to shave with it but the lather lasted on the brush without falling apart for over 30 minutes and the skin is left feeling good. I think I have settled on the latest two recipes I have made. Neither have any fragrance added so I can narrow down if there is any reaction from the ingredients. That is subjectively as best I can.

If anyone would like to try their hand at making some shaving soap I'm happy to send a step by step.

Steve

Brush: Vie Long shedomatic
Soap: Alpa Windsor
Razor: PAA
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword (red packaging) new
Aftershave: Mrysol Formula K double application

Shedomatic does what it does best, builds a later, sheds bits of horse everywhere and splays like a former gymnast upon hard times.
Despite this, I am seeking a decently dense horse hair brush NOT made by Vie Long.
Alpa Windsor is really showing it's true colours, reasonable performance, particularly for the price, yet a synthetic scent, it's not bad, yet not good either.
PAA and me disagreed, I had to stop as the irritation was not worth another pass, despite it leaving stubble. Am disappointed by this, yet will try a Wizamet in it tonight and see if the blade had anything to do with it.
Mrysol is nice, even more so the menthol tickle when you double apply. Perfect mentholated product for colder months.

PAA and me disagreed, I had to stop as the irritation was not worth another pass, despite it leaving stubble. Am disappointed by this, yet will try a Wizamet in it tonight and see if the blade had anything to do with it.

Try the PAA with a modern PilSilver SI. Works a treat for me.

Sunday 31 May 2015

202597d1433072952-sun-may-30th-sat-june-06th-sotd-31052015.jpg

Mastro Livi K720, 7/8 Full Hollow, Square Point

It was quite a long time since I used this Mastro Livi K720 straight razor and today I thought it was the time to take it out from its olive wood box and to put it at work. I am very glad I did it because this carbon steel is really amazing: smooth and super velvety, it gives a very comfortable shave. I don't know whether it is because of my pre-shave oil - which I like it more and more at each shave - but the result was absolutely impeccable and magnificent. A truly great shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Meißner Tremonia Moroccan Rhassoul
  • Brush: Omega 48 Gold
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi K720, 7/8 Full Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol Agua de Limón

Brush: Horse PIF
Soap: Dapper Dragon Signature Scent
Razor: Fatboy Exec
Blade: Treet
Aftershave: Aqua Velva (+ menthol crystals)

First time I have tried a treet blade. The shave made it feel like it was one of @Pjotr's MUM blades, but there was a bit of a sting in the tail when I applied the aftershave.

I think I prefer the scent of the soap in the jar, as applied to the face it smells a little dull, but in the tub seems much stronger.

Sunday 31 May 2015

202597d1433072952-sun-may-30th-sat-june-06th-sotd-31052015.jpg

Mastro Livi K720, 7/8 Full Hollow, Square Point

It was quite a long time since I used this Mastro Livi K720 straight razor and today I thought it was the time to take it out from its olive wood box and to put it at work. I am very glad I did it because this carbon steel is really amazing: smooth and super velvety, it gives a very comfortable shave. I don't know whether it is because of my pre-shave oil - which I like it more and more at each shave - but the result was absolutely impeccable and magnificent. A truly great shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Meißner Tremonia Moroccan Rhassoul
  • Brush: Omega 48 Gold
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi K720, 7/8 Full Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol Agua de Limón

Again, aside from the wonderfully down to earth Omega and Alum block, sounds incredibly exotic.

Test shave this morning after making a new shaving soap with additions of Avacado, Castor, Coconut and Glycerine. 2 days growth. Again the Omega 20102 supplied by @alfredus did a great job of face lathering. The soap loaded really easily and built a great lather with enough for in excess of 3 passes. The SE razor in my rotation today was a Micromatic Clog Pruf with a GEM SS on shave #4. Two passes WTG and ATG and no weepers, nicks or cuts. I am happy to call BBS today.
I will see how the face feels in a couple of hours but at this stage no irritation in any way so I'm hoping the soap is kind to my skin. Next in the line up tomorrow is the Star version of the 1912.

Steve

Myrsol Emulsion
Omega 66
Soapy Bathman Cigar Lounge
Ikon 102 with Jurgen Hempel Ti
Vintage Wilkinson (2)
Fine Platinum AS

Nice shave. I'm not sure if I like the Cigar Lounge scent though.

How would you describe the scent of Fine Platinum?

Soap: #2
Brush: Shavemac custom super fan
Razor: Gillette tech fat handle
Blade: Green Indian Permasharp (2)
Post-shave: L'Oreal Hydra sensitive ASB

Not loving the blades. Feel very rough to me.

Brush still sheds. Lost 2 this morning.

Soap is great.

Couple of SE shaves with the Streamline to take the GEM SS to five (or is it six?) and now I've gone to the dark side for a few DE shaves. Had my hair cut the other day and on a whim bought a five pack of "@Drubbing latest one and only blade worth having" Feathers, so need to try them out. I also feel a bit sorry for the poor DE shavers here as they're getting crowded out.

BS cracked handle re-knot; When I dig this one for for a spell it always seems to stay there for ages.
Body Shop Macca Root: There is a serious hole in the bottom of the jar. I can see the finish line.
Trusted 7O'Clock Bakelite: There is no other DE worth using.
Feather on No 1.

Great shave. Not sure why I was so scared of these way back when. Rookie jitters I guess. Feels just like a good vintage blade such as the Gillette Spoiler, Schick or Wilkie. From what most have said it won't keep it's edge as long but if I ever need to buy more blades these will be the ones.

Are the Fine A/S easy enough to get over there @unobtainium81 ?
Heading over that way in October so it might be easier to buy there and transport back in the luggage than it is to pay postage here.

Status
Not open for further replies.