Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
HqFGF2o.jpg
shave away from home with an English Wilkinson blade
I also travel with a little container of Skin Food. It's great for travelling as it doubles as AS and ASB but also soothes and gives a good scent. [emoji106]

In my experience that's what a new GEM blade can do to you, no matter which razor you use.

I hadn't experienced the new blade bite before with any of the GEM razors I have so I'm wondering if there is occassionally a new blade in the pack that needs to be hand stroped. I used to routinely "cork" Feathers with great results so I may try a couple of GEM's and see if I notice any benifit. Maybe though it can be attributd to operator error as it was a very mild efficient shave and truth be known I "may" have been a bit too enthusiastic.

Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Soap: Strop Shoppe Date Night
Razor: Gold Dollar
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol

First shave with str8 only (2 passes). Not totally smooth, but did the shave feel good! [emoji106] Tried a few new holds and took my time for the second pass. Shaving with a str8 is going great guns.

Postie arrived with another piece to the GEM jigsaw this morning. 15 minutes in near boiling water with dish detergent followed by a toothbrush and toothpaste scrub then a hot water rinse and a final 2 minute bath in Alcohol. 65 year old [ish] razor now like new.

Today's shave was with the new kid on the block - the GEM G-Bar or Heavy flat top. This is such a nicely made razor. The head geometry is similar to the Feather Weight but they do shave a bit differently to each other. I presume it is the extra weight of the G-Bar. It is a mild yet very efficient shave but seems to be less inclined to bite when compared to the MM Bullet Tip . I really enjoyed this mornings shave. The G-bar is definitely in the weekly rotation.
Yesterday I had a bit of time in the afternoon so made a new soap formulation but this time without tallow. It was an experiment to reduce the oils in the recipe but not because I have any ethical objections to Tallow.
The new soap recipe performance was very good. Very creamy lather and nice and smooth.
@alfredus provided the Omega 20102 Boar brush and I'm still face lathering.
2 passes with cold water between passes and a splash of plain Witch Hazel to finish.
No cuts, weepers or nicks.
GEM is the go.

Wow @bald as , you've got nearly every SE model ever made. The G-bar is one I'll keep an eye out for. It's such a nice looking razor. I think it's one of the few that wasn't produced by Ever Ready as an equivalent GEM. Let's put it this way, I've never heard of an E -bar. To the poor, uninitiated and missing out big time DE dudes out there, the "G" refers to a stamp that GEM put on the bar (or handle if you like).

BS reknot
Body Shop Macca Root
: I detected a hint of of the bottom of the jar showing through. I'm getting there!
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM SS on No 4

Such a shit I can't "like" my own SE posts.

Wow, you've got nearly every SE model ever made. The G-bar is one I'll keep an eye out for. It's such a nice looking razor. I think it's one of the few that wasn't produced by Ever Ready as an equivalent GEM. Let's put it this way, I've never heard of an E -bar. To the poor, uninitiated and missing out big time DE dudes out there, the "G" refers to a stamp that GEM put on the bar (or handle if you like).

BS reknot
Body Shop Macca Root
: I detected a hint of of the bottom of the jar showing through. I'm getting there!
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM SS on No 4

[Hovers over the like button].... Nah! [emoji41]

Wow @bald as , you've got nearly every SE model ever made. The G-bar is one I'll keep an eye out for. It's such a nice looking razor. I think it's one of the few that wasn't produced by Ever Ready as an equivalent GEM. Let's put it this way, I've never heard of an E -bar. To the poor, uninitiated and missing out big time DE dudes out there, the "G" refers to a stamp that GEM put on the bar (or handle if you like).

BS reknot
Body Shop Macca Root
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM SS on No 4

Tried to help you there @Pjotr - Went to like it twice - once for you and once for me - didn't work so I unliked it. (Sound at all familiar?) :)

Tried to help you there @Pjotr - Went to like it twice - once for you and once for me - didn't work so I unliked it. (Sound at all familiar?) :)

Oh yeah! Really wished the unlike would also show up. It would save me having to make lengthy replies that basically say the same thing. We really are the equivalent of the grumpy old dudes in the muppet show. I like it.

Well Gents just had my first shave with Cold river select and it was pure luxury. For those into their artisan soaps, specifically B&M this is certainly something you would enjoy.

B&M perhaps may have a bit more cushion (although yet to be decided at this early stage), but is trumped IMO in post shave by the Cold River. Unlike some other products I have tried it feels like you could leave the lather on all day without drying the skin. The scent was perfect for me; present during the shave but totally natural and not at artificial levels. Whilst B&M perhaps has more complex scent I'd be interested to try one of the signature scents as a comparison on scent delivery.

If I was recommending two soaps tallow/vegetable that were easily acquired that wouldn't break the bank it would be without doubt Cold river and Saponificio Varesino. Both are just marvelous in terms of scent, performance and skin care.

P.S I have been holding out tucking into the Floid blue as I wanted to finish up my Old spice. No contest! Floid blue blows it away in every aspect.

rsz_4rsz_img_1396 by Brendan Walkley, on Flickr

Shaved with sample of Shaver Heaven Green Tobacco soap today, I don't like smoking at all but this smelt nothing like smokes. It smells fresh, reminds me of the smell of tobacco farms when I used to travel around North East Victoria on holidays. Soap lathered well in the bowl and like all shaver heaven soaps felt great on the face. Brush was a Romera Synthetic brush I brought off ebay, first time using it, it is differrnt to my body shop synthetic brush. Blade was from the ones @Monsta_AU gave me - Rapira - felt smooth on the face and did the job well.

Ignore my previous post in the May Acquisition thread, @SydBJW . I should have come to this thread first. Mighty looking lather!

Ignore my previous post in the May Acquisition thread, @SydBJW . I should have come to this thread first. Mighty looking lather!
LaP how does the Shaver Heaven Green Tobacco compare to PAA Cavendish? (Or other Tobacco scents like Tabac?)
(also @MrT)

Today was another SE - SOTD. However this was with my almost pristine Schick E2 and not one of the GEM's.
This razor is about 75 years of age and performs beautifully.
Many class this as an aggressive razor and as far as the amount of blade available to the face it is definitely that, but, and herein lies the deception :) it is as smooth as silk. So much so that you only really know you are trying too hard when the red juice starts to flow. I have mine in rotation with other SE [GEM] razors but shaving regularly with this one I guarantee would produce effortless blood free shaves. It is just a case of learning the razor. People use the expression no pressure but these light razors need just enough and that does come with experience. I'm thrilled with my latest soap recipe. Finally not reacting to commercial soaps causing major irritation.

Razor - Schick E2
Blade - Personna [4] Excellent blade.
Soap - Mine
Brush - @alfredus Omega Boar and face lathered.
Face - very pleased.

2 passes with cold rinses and BBS down graded to DFS because of a couple of nicks. Very minor but probably my fault.

Steve

Last edited:
LaP how does the Shaver Heaven Green Tobacco compare to PAA Cavendish? (Or other Tobacco scents like Tabac?)
(also @MrT)

Shaver Heaven and Tabac are quite similar although the Tabac is fading a bit. I sniff more cologne in the Shaver Heaven but it wouldn't surprise me if Tabac was Anthony's inspiration.

Mrs Peach prefers the Shaver Heaven.

Last edited:
Brush: Simpsons Classic 1
Razor: Fasan Bakelite Slant
Blade: Muhle
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
A/S: D.R. Harris Pink

Brush: Love Your Shave Badger
Soap: Barrister & Mann Fougere Aromatique Tallow
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Rapira (1).
Aftershave: Alum

First shave with this soap that was part of the second group buy of Barrister & Mann soap. Enjoyable shave this morning. The performance is great as are all the Barrister & Mann soaps I have tired so far. The scent is great, I am not good at describing it but is smells fresh. It is only my second fougere soap, the other being MDC, the both smell great and to my nose very similar.

As for the brush, I can't fault it. If you are after a handmade or custom brush check out the LoveYourShave etsy page.

Status
Not open for further replies.