Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shaves for the last few days, went most of the way towards Brunei for Gawai (Harvest Festival).

On way back to civilisation now, will have first shave in 5 days tomorrow.

eM0IZhh.png

Brush: ShaveMac #77
Soap/Cream: Washpool Farm Test Batch No 2
Razor: Gold Dollar
Razor: NEW Long Comb with Weber Classic handle
Blade: Polsilver [2]
After-shave: Old Spice

First use of the Washpool Farm shaving soap. I'm reserving my judgements until I have a few shaves under my belt.

Haven't posted for a few days - been busy bonding with my new reptile killer...

020615_zpsiin7th27.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real O Melhor Exfoliant Soap (Box on left)
Pre-Shave : Razorock Peppermint Professional Shaving Lube
Soap : B&M Seville
Brush : Shavemac Silvertip w/ Blue Marmorite Handle
Razor : Mongoose SE
Blade : Kai Captain Mild <4>
Post-Shave : Emu Oil
After-Shave : Floid Black Label

An absolutely wonderful shave today - one of those shaves that makes you think the day ahead is going to rock...

The Amalgamation of Musgo Real and O Melhor has intoroduced some new products worthy of condiseration, and the exfoliating soap is one of them - I believe it uses seaweed agar as the exfoliant, and is pleasantly perfumed. Followed up with the Razorock Peppermint pre-shave that I've mentioned before - pleasantly bracing and sets the face up beautifully for lathering. A seriously fine lather today - hard to go wrong with the B&M Seville, especially with a Shavenac Silvertip whipping up the lather. The brush, aside fro looking pretty cool (to me, at least) offers a choice of silvertip grades. This one is quite dense but by no means a lather hog, and feels great on the face.

I've been holding off on commenting about the Mongoose until I've given it a decent try out. Wow, just wow. This razor is so easy to make friends with. It has a really serious heft in the hand, along with excellent balance. I notice @Leisureguy wasn't too keen on the spiral knurling without any cross-checking in the other direction, but for me it was a non-event. Grip was secure and confidence inspiring regardless of direction of shave or where abouts I held the handle. Atb first, I was concerned at the sheer width of the razor but needlessly so as it has turned out. It's no more difficult to manoevre the many DE razors. When I first got the razor, I took the wimpy option and bought a pack of Kai Captain Mild blades. While I can easily get a very fine 2-pass result, I find myself hankering for a sharper blade. If it were a DE, I'd be diving for a Polsilver or a Feather. This will be solved very soon - a selection of Feather's offerings is on its way from Connaught shaving. It's interesting that there is so much more choice in SE blades for these guys than for the vintage Gems, Everreadys etc - Feather offer 4 different blades and Kai 3. It seems that the biggest differences between these blades are the thickness of the steel, and the depth from cutting edge to back of blade. The more assertive blades are a little deeper which increases the blade reveal. The workmanship in the razor itself is faultless, and the mechanism for mounting the blade is totally secure. Really a fantastic shaver, and already a member of my "inner circle".

A quick but sparing application of emu oil followed by a generous splash of Floid Black Label, and I'm officially a very happy camper with a very smooth countenance.

PS : I meant to include a box of Kleenex in the photo for @Pjotr's benefit - it seems that talk of SE shaving makes him quite emotional. I'll try to remember next time @Pjotr ;)

PS : I meant to include a box of Kleenex in the photo for @Pjotr's benefit - it seems that talk of SE shaving makes him quite emotional. I'll try to remember next time @Pjotr ;)

Thanks Draco. I'm welling up! Very nice looking razor. So there's an entire supply line of blades for these things! I'm a bit jealous. Would have jumped at it if I was just starting out with traditional shaving.

Thanks Draco. I'm welling up! Very nice looking razor. So there's an entire supply line of blades for these things! I'm a bit jealous. Would have jumped at it if I was just starting out with traditional shaving.

For interest, @Pjotr, this is worth a quick look :

An informative rundown of Feather's options - seems they have a blade to suit just about every rerquirement...

What's twice as good as a SE ?
A DE!
That was the assumption which made Gillette so successful.

For interest, @Pjotr, this is worth a quick look :

An informative rundown of Feather's options - seems they have a blade to suit just about every rerquirement...
That's amazing. I sort of knew about the whole Artist Club thing but assumed it was just another fad and had disappeared. How long do they last?

That was the assumption which made Gillette so successful.

That's amazing. I sort of knew about the whole Artist Club thing but assumed it was just another fad and had disappeared. How long do they last?
As you said, made Gillette :)

Tuesday 2 June 2015

202812d1433260269-sun-may-30th-sat-june-06th-sotd-02062015.jpg

Mastro Livi Perugia 13.12.14, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point

This is a very special Mastro Livi razor. It is a limited edition made by Mastro Livi in occasion of the first meeting held in Perugia on 13 december 2014 and there are just three of them. I am one of the lucky owners and I am very happy I am one of the privileged ones. The blade is made from Inox steel and it is a super performing razor, always giving a very deep and close shave, an absolutely superior shave. The stainless steel Mastro Livi used for this razor - it is the very same he uses for his Grifetto - is amazing: deep and intense like stainless steel, smooth and velvety like a carbon steel.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Cella
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Perugia 13.12.14, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

@razorguy posted = hunt for the like button every freaking time!

Mate, have you posted the basics of your pre-shave oil as yet?

@Pjotr, I'm not sure about the lasting power of the blades yet - I'm still using my first blade ever. Having said that, I've had 6 great shaves from it and it's showing no sign of giving up yet. I've read that the Feather Super Pro blades are frequently good for 12+ shaves :eek: so we'll see. I'll keep you posted in any case mate.

And thanks for the courteous "lid tip" @bald as :)

I have heard guys "claim" 20 shaves from a Mongoose but there are also many excellent "air guitarists" as well :) I would expect an average 10 - 12 would be a realistic expectation. Or whatever the blade gives :)

Steve

Soap : B & M Prototype #3
Brush : Simpson Duke 3
Razor : Ever Ready 1924 SE
Blade : GEM SS (3)
After-Shave : Thayers Witch Hazel & Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Keeping with the SE theme and my thanks to @bald as for kindly lending me his Ever Ready 1924 and invaluable advice on vintage SE razors.

If I had any notions that I was King Sh^t because of the easy transition from DE's to a 1912 SE then the 1924 has brought me back to Mother Earth. Although the geometry of this SE and the 1912 look similar, there are some slight deviations that makes this an aggressive beast. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. Probably did not heed to Baldy's instructions like I should have. It's not the R41 monster we have come to fear but it demands care and concentration.

The good news is that I'm starting to click with it. Today's shave was close and relatively blood free. It seems to behave when using short strokes. Further persistence will no doubt pay dividends. The result was a very smooth face after 2 passes. The splash of Myrsol did not bring on the stings of the past 2 mornings.

I'm loving the experience of trying all sorts of razors from the early 1910 vintages, all the way through to the current modern designs. I used to ignore the SE's that could be found in Op Shops around the country, but they have got my attention now.

I have heard guys "claim" 20 shaves from a Mongoose but there are also many excellent "air guitarists" as well :) I would expect an average 10 - 12 would be a realistic expectation. Or whatever the blade gives :)

Steve

My best has been 12 to date but I only ever do 2 passes so I'm sure it can go more.

@Young Buck - what's your average when using your Feather Artist Club razor?

I could not imagine my posts cause such a turmoil!!! :)
As for my oil, I don't know if I posted something or not.
Your posta are fine, except for the green eyed monster they awaken.
I would be interrsted to hear more about your oil blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.