Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
razor Fatboy exec
brush FS badger
blade Feather x 3
soap Speick stick
A/S Speick

I had to visit YKW the other day to enquire about the quality of some vintage blades. After reading a pm from someone who had used and couldn't recommend them, I returned to my very short incoming pm list and was reminded that I had bought some Speick soap sticks back in 2012 from our very own @nav1.
For some unknown reason these have had an unloved existence since they came to my grubby hands. They got forgotten at the back of a desk drawer at work for over a year before I remembered to take them home, then I think I used a stick once before we moved house, and I promptly forgot I owned them, let alone where they were.
2 days of intermittent searching later I found one. It appears to have dried out a little and the scent is not as strong as I remembered, but still pleasant.
I forgot how nice sticks like Speick and La Toja are to use. A few seconds scrubbing the face with the soap, then attack with the brush for plentiful lather for 3 passes or more. Great stuff!
And a reminder to me that I really don't need any more soaps in my life right now of a soap I like a lot in only used twice in 3 years!
It will have to be something exceptional, or I have run out of mentholated summer soaps before I buy more. I really need to dwindle down my stocks somewhat. And I bet I haven't got half the number / variety of soaps/creams some of you fetishists have lying around.
Nice shave all round, but must remember to swap out the feather before my next shave. You get spoiled by vintage blades.

Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Murphy & Daughters
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillete Super Stainless Steel Blade (3), made in Australia.
Aftershave: Alum

Two pass shave this morning with a new soap, thanks for the sample @stillshunter. Scent for mine is Euculyptus and some cirtus (lemon to my nose). I bowled lathered this morning, the soap produces a good lather. Feels good on the face. I feel the scent is not so strong on the face. Can't fault the shave I got with the soap. Will use it again and post further thoughts on it. Would I rush to buy it ? Probably not as I have too many other soaps at the moment but it is good to see another Australian soap maker out their making a good product.

220515_zpslxwjk5la.jpg

Pre Shave - The Mighty Myrsol
Soap - Maggard's Orange Menthol
Brush - Thater Dual Band Badger
Razor - Feather AS-D2
Blade - Feather <1>
After Shave - Musgo Real Orange Amber

An orange scented shave today :) The Thater did an excellent job of generating a fine lather from the Maggard's soap - great performance and a wonderful fragrance with a little menthol kick (y) The Feather/Feather combination has become a real favourite since I tried a few tips from @stillshunter and @Young Buck - a very comfortable, confidence inspiring path to a wonderful 2 pass result (y)

Hopefully all the vitamin C from the orange based fragrances will help boost the immune system for Melbourne's winter :whistle:

220515_zpslxwjk5la.jpg

Razor - Feather AS-D2
Blade - Feather <1>

An orange scented shave today :) The Thater did an excellent job of generating a fine lather from the Maggard's soap - great performance and a wonderful fragrance with a little menthol kick (y) The Feather/Feather combination has become a real favourite since I tried a few tips from @stillshunter and @Young Buck - a very comfortable, confidence inspiring path to a wonderful 2 pass result (y)

Hopefully all the vitamin C from the orange based fragrances will help boost the immune system for Melbourne's winter :whistle:

That Thater looks amazing!

Yet another superb shave using the 1924 and the GEM SS blade. [3]
Due to chipping the rim of my scuttle the other day I face lathered today with my #6 Turkish and my homebrew soap. I have to say it is working very well for me. I will probably get a new scuttle but maybe not too soon.
1 pass WTG and some minor touchups ATG and the shave was done. So close to BBS/DFS it was amazing. Not only will my DE's never taste lather again, my other SE's are looking nervous and lonely. Why did they make any other razors after the 1924? The angle on the 1924 is so easy that ATG on the neck cause zero irritation. My opinion - the 1924 is streets ahead of the 1912 and the 1912 is brilliant.

Steve

Yes, @Young Buck, it's a bona fide star of a brush - I can't think of a single negative thing about it. Just as well - it's the most I've ever spent on a brush so I was definitely hoping for something that would raise the bar. Which it did. Something about German badger brushes - as long as they're fan-shaped they set a very high standard indeed.

@bald as - which razor is the 1924? Does it have a model name with which to track it down on ProfitBay?

Thanks,

Draco

20150522_SOTDSepiaS_zpscju0ob5o.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: British Flat Bottom Tech Head with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, Morrocan Organic Argan Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Best shave so far with this Frankenrazor - but still so much more work, than a modern razor. I wanted to prepare myself for my trip next week during the past 3 shaves...but I think it is too much effort. I will just pack my RRSS instead :D :D :D

220515_zpslxwjk5la.jpg

Razor - Feather AS-D2
Blade - Feather <1>

How do you rate the Musgo AS?

Yes, @Young Buck, it's a bona fide star of a brush - I can't think of a single negative thing about it. Just as well - it's the most I've ever spent on a brush so I was definitely hoping for something that would raise the bar. Which it did. Something about German badger brushes - as long as they're fan-shaped they set a very high standard indeed.

@bald as - which razor is the 1924? Does it have a model name with which to track it down on ProfitBay?

Thanks,

Draco

Hi Draco,

The 1924 was a particular style of SE razor. The head flips forward to load the blade. It had two comb types rounded and flat. The flat which I have and the same as the one advertised is regarded as a more efficient razor.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111653917251?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've sent you a PM with this link to a 1924 on "that place". It is a buy now so you don't have to wait to get beaten at the last second :)

I would suggest the 1924 as a great SE razor. You do have to shave differently to a DE but once you accept that the approach is different you will have sensational shaves.

Steve

Yes definately if you have never shaved with an SE the Feather Weight or the Push button Contour is a great place to start.

.......which razor is the 1924? Does it have a model name with which to track it down on ProfitBay?.......

Unless you've used SEs before I wouldn't try it out with that particular model. Just look at where the blade stops are in relation to the comb. It's fairly hefty. I believe @Mark1966 has a few NOS Featherweights I'm sure he'd be happy to sell.

BOT

Inspired by @bald as I'm SEing it again:

Butterscotch reknot
Body Shop Macca Root
: I'm never going to reach the bottom of this tub.
Featherweight with GEM SS on No 1.

On to the 1912 travel razor next. Just to see if I can get on with it. Otherwise it's the Ever Ready Streamline.

Sorry you have to read the above two posts in reverse order. Had some issues with the editing on the original one.

@bald as - thanks a heap for the info and link mate :) Update - Bought it :whistle:

@khun_diddy - I rate it very highly indeed. One of my absolute favourites. I really like when you can have a good fragrance connection between soap/cream and after shave product. The Musgo orange + amber scent lets you do that in spades - both shaving cream and after shave smell brilliant and harmonise beautifully for a wonderful complete shaving experience.

@Young Buck - How do you rate the G12 scuttle? I've been on the brink of pressing the buy button for weeks now. And how much was shipping? Thanks mate...

Last edited:
@bald as - thanks a heap for the info and link mate :) Update - Bought it :whistle:

@khun_diddy - I rate it very highly indeed. One of my absolute favourites. I really like when you can have a good fragrance connection between soap/cream and after shave product. The Musgo orange + amber scent lets you do that in spades - both shaving cream and after shave smell brilliant and harmonise beautifully for a wonderful complete shaving experience.

@Young Buck - How do you rate the G12 scuttle? I've been on the brink of pressing the buy button for weeks now. And how much was shipping? Thanks mate...

Hey Draco mine is the G20 is big brother. Hard to remember what shipping was but think it was about $30 as it's very heavy.

Yep, pretty sure I have a couple of SEs available - PM me people

Status
Not open for further replies.