Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another suggestion might be Fine L'Orange Noir. You can get it on eBay. Good excuse to try the Fine Accoutrement range.
Out of the Fine aftershaves, the L'Orange Noir and American Blend are my picks. I'd be on to the Italian Citrus too if it still was in production. :/
I just can't bring myself to pay double the price due to shipping though. I'm going to wait and see what eventuates...

I test lathered your soaps today. I prefer version 4. Made loads of lather.
I think I agree with you that #4 is the better base formulation. I don't intend to scent it but I may do. I have a very nice Sandlewood, Amber, Vanilla blend. Reminds me of the late '60's early 70's. I did a test blend with #4 and Tea Tree oil and it is very pleasant to use.
I look forward to hearing if you have any suggestions.

Steve

I think I agree with you that #4 is the better base formulation. I don't intend to scent it but I may do. I have a very nice Sandlewood, Amber, Vanilla blend. Reminds me of the late '60's early 70's. I did a test blend with #4 and Tea Tree oil and it is very pleasant to use.
I look forward to hearing if you have any suggestions.

Steve
If you are open to scent suggestions, a floral scent that I would be interested in, would be Gardenia and Jasmine, as long as it's not fragrance oils used to achieve it.
I theorise if done well, it would be quite appealing to both sexes.

If you are open to scent suggestions, a floral scent that I would be interested in, would be Gardenia and Jasmine, as long as it's not fragrance oils used to achieve it.
I theorise if done well, it would be quite appealing to both sexes.

I'm interested to know why you mentioned fragrance oils. From the research I have done they [EO and FO] are the same or similar in terms of irritation reactions. Is that a factor in your comment?

Steve

Personal experience.
I find fragrance reacts more often than essential oils, and to boot, don't last as long either!
I'm also uncomfortable with the thought of using a product derived from synthetics, rather than natural products that you would survive digesting.

Razor: 37c
Blade: Rubie
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Aftershave: Antesol
Cologne: Tabac

A Rubie in my New was good but not great. In the 37c it was phenomenal.

Antesol/Tabac are in the same connotation family for me. They pair wonderfully.

Last edited:
Personal experience.
I find fragrance reacts more often than essential oils, and to boot, don't last as long either!
I'm also uncomfortable with the thought of using a product derived from synthetics, rather than natural products that you would survive digesting.

I'm not a fan of scented soaps myself as I have found eliminating the "scent" has all but eliminated any irritation. The formulation I'm making for myself now is quite simple and cheap to make. It lathers well and gives a good shave. Mine contains Stearic Acid, Tallow, Coconut oil and Glycerine.

This looks like my kinda shave. Nice!!!!!
Developed a soft spot recently for orange scent since falling for Terre d'Hermes EdT. Want more and reckon this looks promising.Hmmm...did Myrsol come out with an orange?

Stillsy, this may interest you. I often hanker for a fragrance of soap I don't have, so I figured how to get what I want a lot of the time. Start by putting 1-2 drops of really high quality Sweet Orange or Mandarin oil in the bottom of your shave bowl, then load your brush with MWF. Build your lather in the bowl and Voila! you have a very respectable orange scented lather. You can get more adventurous as the mood takes you - Mandarin + Sandalwood, Rosemary + Peppermint + Lavender etc etc.

The Mitchell's gives a wonderful lather as the base (although you can use whatever you like), and has the advantage of having a non-invasive fragrance of its own.

Hope this leads to a bit of fun mate,

Draco

yhuBOL3.jpg

Myrsol Emulsion
New Forest 1901 2 band
Nannys Silly Soap Lavender
Ikon 102 Slant
Jürgen Hempel Ti handle
Gillette Yellow (3)
La Toja Aftershave

Stillsy, this may interest you. I often hanker for a fragrance of soap I don't have, so I figured how to get what I want a lot of the time. Start by putting 1-2 drops of really high quality Sweet Orange or Mandarin oil in the bottom of your shave bowl, then load your brush with MWF. Build your lather in the bowl and Voila! you have a very respectable orange scented lather. You can get more adventurous as the mood takes you - Mandarin + Sandalwood, Rosemary + Peppermint + Lavender etc etc.

The Mitchell's gives a wonderful lather as the base (although you can use whatever you like), and has the advantage of having a non-invasive fragrance of its own.

Draco

That's sounds awesome Draco.

Draco

Great plan! Love MWF lather - when I gt it right there are not many better. I assume we're talking essential rather than fragrance oils here?

Great plan! Love MWF lather - when I gt it right there are not many better. I assume we're talking essential rather than fragrance oils here?

Yes mate - I have a fairly strong aversion to fragrance oils :(. They are synthesised in labs, and are not identical to the real thing at all. There is a lot of info on the interweb to make natural essential oils look like a much safer proposition than Linalool and its various cronies.The essential oils are naturally more complex too - fragrance oils concentrate on synthesising only one or two main fragrance components of real scents.

I'm not a fan of scented soaps myself as I have found eliminating the "scent" has all but eliminated any irritation. The formulation I'm making for myself now is quite simple and cheap to make. It lathers well and gives a good shave. Mine contains Stearic Acid, Tallow, Coconut oil and Glycerine.
That actually sounds interesting tbh.
I use coconut oil infused with Tahiti Gardenia as a post shave and think it's underrated!

Some sage advice when I got to the bottom of a pack of Vintage Wilks this morning -

If only it was that easy to get them!

(Never noticed this card before - has anybody else seen them?)

Some sage advice when I got to the bottom of a pack of Vintage Wilks this morning.

(Never noticed this card before - has anybody else seen them?)

Yeah, seen this a bit in the older plastic dispensers with wrapped blades. Mainly Wilks though, as it is a very good marketing tool and when the blade manufacturers were fighting it out for market share it must have helped sales. Wilkinson was always behind Gillette and Schick as the #3 brand so maintaining and growing market share was very important to them.

Razor: Slim
Blade: GBE
Soap: B&M Ferox
Brush: Plissitane

The water in KL is not good to drink but there was no problem with getting a lather out of it. Seems relatively soft and the B&M just exploded into yoghurt - extra water was required.

Seems I have missed a bit on my neck during the second pass - probably a slightly off angle but nothing to be too concerned about. I was going a bit quicker than normal trying to get down to breakfast which was pretty good.

Brush: SOC Badger
Soap: Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillete Super Stainless Steel Blade (4), made in Australia.
Aftershave: Alum

Great shave this morning. My SOC Badger brush might be my favourite brush, I do like the Semogue 620 Boar as well. The Shaver Heaven soap smells great and can't be faulted for performance. I used this soap this morning as my wife was going through the scents of my shaving soap and had this as one of her favourite smells. Happy wife, happy life :)

Status
Not open for further replies.