Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windsor soap for pre-shave
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (2)
MWF
Proraso brush
Re-lather and cold rinse

3 pass BBS. A couple of weepers. Love this soap - no tendency to bubble / foam up - start out with using the puck as a shave stick, add water and work up until the dry paste becomes a wet, creamy lather. Simple and so easy... lather for 3 passes and heaps left in the brush for the post shave re-lather.

EQK3RIc.jpg

SOTD (2/6/2017)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Feather (4x)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap/Cream: Mike’s Barber Shop
AS: Thayer's Lavender/Stirling Barbershop
Balm: Stirling Barbershop
Fragrance: JPG Le Male EDT

Last night the disappointment continued with my straight razor journey.

My shaves are now so efficient that I'm still very clean after 24 hours with just a single pass and a few touch ups - or my eyesight is getting worse. Anyway I can have an excellent 1.25 pass shave and get DFS every time hence my disappointment :) I could easily extend the shave out to every other day - but what do I do with my soaps, brushes, obsession and more than a few excellent razors types.

I've considered throwing in a cartridge shave every now and then so I get a sub par result and need a shave the next night :)

All of the above is tongue in cheek of course, I'm wrapped in my decision to learn straights [it does take time to get a good shave]. As long as I can shave with both hands straights will be my go to. I'm keeping my safety style razors, DE and SE for when I cannot remember what a straight is for.
I agree @bald as - the day after shaving with a straight there's not much left to cut!

I agree @bald as - the day after shaving with a straight there's not much left to cut!

earlobe, hands, feet, nose ...

I can think of a LOT to cut personally

Friday 2 June 2017

lFsBAj9QSqoEMX6aPY4Jmp37gLTAbvrmKs_dN5GUsbuB1I3uW1rJqTGRC39viBNx0lk1Xin3WiE9EzY=w1366-h768-no

Viva l'Italia!

Viva l'Italia! Today is the Italian National Day or, like we properly call it, "Festa della Repubblica", that is our "Republic Day". We are in fact celebrating the 71st anniversary of our Republic. Long live Italy! To celebrate our National Day I shaved with Italian products only, including the ones made by me, certainly and proudly made in Italy. As for the razor, I used this Mastro Livi RWL34, a stainless steel having - and I am sure about this - superior quality and performance in shaving. I must say this is the only Mastro Livi razor I have ever honed (I own 31 of them, none of them ever needed honing) and not because it needed honing, indeed because of a challenge. I have read from time to time many people complained about Mastro Livi RWL34 razors and in their opinion it was a stainless steel impossible to hone and it could not take any edge or however a good edge. I have three RWL34 razors and I decided to accept the risk of honing one of them and I decided to sacrifice this one. Let me say this clear: this razor had a great edge (just like any Mastro Livi razor) but I wanted to try myself to hone it from scratch and see whether those complaining about RWL34 razors were right. I removed the original Mastro Livi edge by severely dulling it on a stone, then I started making a new bevel from scratch. It took about 15 minutes to get a fabulous edge and I can tell (and prove) what people say about Mastro Livi RWL34 is absolutely false. I used a 3K to make a new bevel, a Belgian coticule and then Mastro Livi chromium oxide paste and his loom strop. Since that day, I used this razor to shave dozens of times and it still has a very sharp and super cutting edge. Mastro Livi RWL34 straight razors are magnificently amazing shavers, giving a super close and very effective shave. Viva l'Italia!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Almond Oil Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

60528561-EF0B-4656-9AC5-A47080A893F4_zpsuyl6tddv.jpg

Pre:
Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger

Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword (3)
EDP: Parfums de Marly Galloway Royal Essence

Lovely three pass shave before an important business meeting today, so went with some old favourites.
I love the density of the Chubby Super Badger; once fully loaded, you have enough lather for four passes, if you so wish.
First use of the Galloway fragrance - absolutely beautiful.
It has a fresh citrus opening, and this is the main theme, but there is a complex undertone of musk and spice. It is also very long lasting. When testing in my travels, I preferred it to Creed GIT and Aventus (although I really liked both), but fragrances are always such a personal thing. I found the Creed fragrances to be classic, complex, and "safe", whilst the Galloway opens this way, but has this subtle devilish musk/amber undertone that really appealed to me. Thus, quite versatile, as you could wear it for both day-time work/business, and also evening social events etc.
Oh - and the meeting went brilliantly, so well chuffed for the weekend.

Last edited:
qeQLesZ.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Soap: Dr Jon's, Aphrodite
Razor: Gem, Micromatic OC
Blade: Gem SS

A few days growth swiftly dealt with by the magic of the Micromatic.
Two passes for a DFS and one for luck.

Have a great weekend, enjoy your shaves​

zSGgIQE.jpg

Occams Original Pre
Paladin
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Queen Charlotte Soaps Mysore Sandalwood Cream
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Salve
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve The Santal EDP

A superb Winter shave, my immense thanks to my friend @Snooze for the Mysore Sandalwood Cream, just lovely :)

Last edited:
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade(s): Polsilver (2)
Brush: Simpsons Super Chubby 2
Soap/Cream: B&M Soaps of Awesometown

Thought I had to be out of the house sooner than I did so rushed one of two shaves a week that I really get into.

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'AS2'
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann '42' shave soap
Aftershave Splash: Barrister & Mann '42' tonique splash
Cologne: Barrister & Mann '42' EDT

Lovely jubbly as some Pommie cook would say.

zSGgIQE.jpg

Occams Original Pre
Paladin
Gillette Fatboy
Feather
Queen Charlotte Soaps Mysore Sandalwood Cream
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Salve
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve The Santal EDP

A superb Winter shave, my immense thanks to my friend @Snooze for the Mysore Sandalwood Cream, just lovely :)
Great shave @todras - glad you enjoyed the QCS Sandalwood - you are most welcome my friend - enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.