Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0431_zpss7tc27mm.jpg

Only took me all morning to work out how to post image.

Preshave: Coconut Oil
Shave Cream: eShave Verbena Lime
Razor: Breidora 11/16" 1/4 hollow
Scuttle: HG
Brush: Shavemac badger
Postshave: mix of Jojoba, essential oils and touch of vodka to boot

Full_Size_Render_9.jpg

Lovely 2 pass this morning and my first try of the 42 soap. Being a bit of a Douglas Adams fan it was fun thinking about his stories as I was shaving.
I really got the Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster o_O at first, then the Petunia notes came through later on.

I guess this is more of a Spring scent, but I had to try it. :shame:

had a nice shave this morning. dragged out the tech and threw a new voskhod blade in. used the captains choice soap as well with the soc boar brush and finished off with some thayers unscented and whal bay rum as. i havent used the tech for ages ad forgot just how mild it is requiring a it more of a touch up than im used too but still giving me a dfs result with no irritation. the soap was my first ever soap purchased and is now showing a big doughnut hole i the bottom so looks like being the first tub i ever finish as well. the brush is on about its 20th shave and is starting to settle in nicely now. i was about ready to give up on it but reading about the long break in for boar i persevered thankfully and im really starting to enjoy using it now.

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'AS2'
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann '42' shave soap
Aftershave Splash: Barrister & Mann '42' tonique splash
Cologne: Barrister & Mann '42' EDT

Lovely jubbly as some Pommie cook would say.
Hey Mark - how do you find the 42 products and scent? I'd ask Zaphod Beeblebrox, but he's slamming down some PanGalactic GargleBlasters

3b4c3348ef.png

Brush: Plissonese
Soap: Barrister & Mann First Snow
Razor: GEM MicroMatic Clogpruf
Blade: gem of course (1) @the_shaving_sailor

Very different tool the GEMs. Feels very comfortable which lend me to be complacent and got a few weepers and light cheek burn. Was applying pressure as mild but efficient razor and used to more blade feel, hence the subconscious pressure.
Not liking the acrobatics under the nose to get DFS due to the head design.
See why users love it and dislike it.

B&M First Snow glissant is very likeable. Great performance and post face feel. I got this one as I like 'a touch' of menthol but felt the 'fir' overpowers that and it needs more, for balance.
Not sure for winter shave and will have another go at it but may save for summer heat as a refreshing scent. Really smells like a romp in a fir tree or when I stack it into a bush while skiing. Leather scent very mild but a base note it is, so takes time to build/recognise.

May do a post on B&M Glissant formula as it gets rave reviews but as a face lather it has the performance mentioned but it is too thirsty for face lathering.
Purpose of face lathering is to save time (hence my use of synth knots) and stimulate the hair follicles. Having to constantly add more water as it absorbs alot and drag out the lathering is a negative. Yeah 'get a bowl' I hear, well reread the above.

Last edited:
I guess this is more of a Spring scent, but I had to try it. :shame:

Me too - I'm putting it away now for Spring - could not resist a couple of runs with something new though!

It is absolutely, but @Mark1966 sees no issue in using and enjoying it in the middle of winter and neither should you :LOL:

But I'm a scent philistine - so what would I know ;)

Hey Mark - how do you find the 42 products and scent? I'd ask Zaphod Beeblebrox, but he's slamming down some PanGalactic GargleBlasters

As has been said - more a spring scent, fairly light and innocuous. Frankly, if it wasn't labelled '42' with the associated connections I would probably walk on by. It is pleasant but not as intoxicating and alluring and some of the other scents by @Barrister & Mann or @todras or Shaun at Chattilon Lux

ssTsmKH.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Baby Smooth Al
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Thäter 2-band Bulb
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Simply wonderful shave with a rich and creamy lather - (picture here).

I hope you all have lovely weekend (y)(y)(y)

APR All Over Shave
20170603_135039.jpg

Razor: Colonial General with Windrose handle
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
Soap: APR Winterfell
Brush: TF Ash and Gold Synthetic

Thoughts...
- A wonderful start to the long weekend here in WA. Slow and luxurious shave with some great Australian products.
- Winterfell is a beautiful scent whose complexity grows the more often and the longer you wear it. The EdP means you get the full impact.
- It also doesn't take long for copper to tarnish in a wet bathroom. Ha.

had a nice shave this morning. dragged out the tech and threw a new voskhod blade in. used the captains choice soap as well with the soc boar brush and finished off with some thayers unscented and whal bay rum as. i havent used the tech for ages ad forgot just how mild it is requiring a it more of a touch up than im used too but still giving me a dfs result with no irritation. the soap was my first ever soap purchased and is now showing a big doughnut hole i the bottom so looks like being the first tub i ever finish as well. the brush is on about its 20th shave and is starting to settle in nicely now. i was about ready to give up on it but reading about the long break in for boar i persevered thankfully and im really starting to enjoy using it now.
I love my SOC boar brush, good choice!

As has been said - more a spring scent, fairly light and innocuous. Frankly, if it wasn't labelled '42' with the associated connections I would probably walk on by. It is pleasant but not as intoxicating and alluring and some of the other scents by @Barrister & Mann or @todras or Shaun at Chattilon Lux

Insightful post Mark :)

I agree mostly, I politely & respectfully told Will as much in a recent /r/wetshaving interaction. Personally I prefer what I call the beautiful fragrances from B&M a lot more, there are though parts of the '42' technical fragrance design I am enamored with personally. I also have a deep affinity for Douglas Adams writing and think the world is much worse off for his passing, the B&M '42' release and towel day is a way for fans to remember him and the laughter, intelligence and sardonic wit he gave the world through his writing.

- Winterfell is a beautiful scent whose complexity grows the more often and the longer you wear it. The EdP means you get the full impact.

You get the 'Winterfell', oh yes sir you do! The dry-down in Winterfell is the narrative, it's dark, really dark and brooding and deep sure and I don't think the Acqua Di Gio/CK marine kids will dig on it but that was the intent after all. Really glad you are enjoying it Scott, after you requested Pork Chop I had a strong feeling you would really understand the experience of a dark chypre more than most. The Mycroft EDP will drop in the post Monday too :)

Last edited:
rmHgLYe.jpg

Weepers and weepers. Dang it! It seems no matter how cautious I am. Feather blades rip me on the first shave. They're always fantastic (DE blades) on 2-4th shave but the first is a hard one. And no change with the Feather Pro in the ATT SE1 which I'm actually finding very difficult to load up correctly. Will take me a minute or two, with the money I spent on it. Not happy, email coming to you ATT. Hope everyone gets better shaves than me! (Although still a DFS just frustrating with money spent) (y)
Razor
ATT SE1
Brush
Vulfix Super Badger
Soap
APR Alfredus Choice
Post Shave
Thayer's WH, APR Alfredus Choice​

TXqHeiO.jpg

Occam's Pre
Paladin PK-47
Gillette Slim
Feather
Australian Private Reserve Bay City
Australian Private Reserve Bay City Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve Bay City EDP

Warm, bright spice and sweet currants - no drastic old Bay Rum's here thank you. Two passes with a generous lather then coffee and the papers. A very suitable start to Sunday :)

FCjP8oK.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Soap: Squadron, Ace
Razor: Gem, Push Button
Blade: Gem SS

Lovely lather from the Squadron soap, as ever, with thanks to @Mark1966 for the Ace sample. I liked the scent though it was very mild, probably a result of it being a sample size, though a pretty generous one.
I decided to use the milder Push Button Gem today as there was not much to do after yesterday's OC shave. Great looking razor and probably a good place to start for a first SE.

Finished up with the Nivea, which has a pleasant enough scent and pretty good face feel, pretty good budget friendly product.

Have a great day.​

Very different tool the GEMs. Feels very comfortable which lend me to be complacent and got a few weepers and light cheek burn. Was applying pressure as mild but efficient razor and used to more blade feel, hence the subconscious pressure.
Not liking the acrobatics under the nose to get DFS due to the head design.
See why users love it and dislike it.

I think the Clogpruf is the milder of the MMs but that is not to say it is mild! I have heard it said that all the MMs are roughly the same only the OC is more honest in that it feels as aggressive as it is. I'm not sure if that is completely true but there is something in it. I think you will find that the Push Button is a genuinely milder SE.
I don't really find too much trouble round the nose but maybe a bit more 'acrobatics' might be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.