Status
Not open for further replies.
20160214_SOTDSBW_zpsnpkzpxpy.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: IKON DLC Slant with long Bulldog handle
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Lather: Mystic Waters The Brown Windsor
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

This razor is just a bit too much for me - seems like I really do enjoy only the mild stuff. Really close shave, but also some weepers...

The brush produces lather almost as effortlessly as a synthetic brush - again a shame the handle is a tad too small for my likings...

All in all a nice shave and ready to map the BEAR!

abafx3zZLybnJfLDJ08OlPMrknuBIFnVxVUpwNGrvM_0OvQuPhQjccysBL-QMkyWlXpWbLTVwMSv4sPuoCYnnq2EX-xZUuAb2QAwZagUgTUfJnoYhfjz_envb7Z4jfbkmYOGPwGJta1L_0jn4b-U4zoJysmmERKl6fiZjKlLS9MGWDw2C6oEh_synebbPrc7fSlGnhTr3YBOxsbPtHT8O7zyy15SX-EXG66mByLL0_GTnN1BQZTp4nrnZZb6UC0grV7mOAUjh50s05Pj5pfRdxv_KyDbE8bhGA7Rnq_k-iKEW4uUr_hztNA-780ZL5Ksdbe462d6yp0mM8tFkUKhqwcpd8IWC6vBC-616uwWpGZ_cBQF9QcKKvyG2z2beux5vE-R39hqWHiZ5-FmCbjToY3bJRHbyPFWLMAh1c4z1C_yX8cPEsAAyAzmHTRlyUPSYSbBBPOfQUpK7ln-sTy8cJ6LkHwtnmxA8Z1slYHl3AD05rM11Qt5iNWp1F8ppASw-L140iJ3E03Oxkz3h6WfmSe-y6qdktWDuj103kZYSNmbmqqtMUmzTGhh4fOkbmZtoF4B=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real O Melhor Exfoliant Soap
Pre-Shave : Razorock Peppermint Pre-shave
Brush : Thater 4292/3 B 22mm 2-Band Finest Silvertip Fan
Soap : Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razor : Filarmonica 13 (6/8")
After Shave : Argan Oil / Speick AS

A wonderfully leisurely Sunday morning shave - plenty of time, no pressure, maximum enjoyment. I spent what seemed likes ages on face prep and lathering, and it really paid off. I find myself agreeing with @alfredus more and more these days : prep and lather is possibly the most important part of the shave. There's no doubt in my mind that the quality of the shave can't be better than the quality of the prep. So I ended up cleansed, massaged, exfoliated, hydrated and lathered to perfection, and enjoyed every bit of the process :)(y):) From that point on, I couldn't really fail. The Filarmonica sang through 2 passes and left me just glowing.

Shaving is one of those simple activities in life that can deliver incredible satisfaction, yet so few of us are lucky enough to experience it regularly....

Last Nights Shave (13/02/16)
attachment.php

Muhle R89 / Dorco Prime Platinum
Omega 10077
Proraso Green
Olay Men Refreshing Energy Post Shave Toner
L'Oreal Hydra Energetic ASB

Didn't have my thinking cap on last night, so I wasn't sure how to get a photo up. Easier than I thought.
I'm currently testing Dorco Prime Platinum DE blades. Smooth and definitely sharp - even nicked myself in a couple of area's too, but it was nothing major and I think it was due to the lack of care. A light gel-based balm was used, which I think is more suitable at night time - otherwise, I might wake-up with break-outs. The lather on the Omega was after 1 pass - this is a 22x50 knot. Although a light handle, she performs really well and broke-in very quickly. It was a very refreshing late night shave.

Have a great Sunday everyone

Last edited:
Nice finish with the Formula K though - yum!
Double thumbs up to the Myrsol Formula K!

BbLsbQhl.jpg

Brush: Semogue #1305
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze
Razor: Gillette #15 OC
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra [2]
After-shave: Alt Innsbruck

Enjoying the 'bacca scents of late -and always the OCs. ;)

I find myself agreeing with @alfredus more and more these days : prep and lather is possibly the most important part of the shave. There's no doubt in my mind that the quality of the shave can't be better than the quality of the prep.
Could not agree more. The last few days I have loaded my brushes far more than normal (after the urging of @alfredus ) and spending a little extra time on producing bountiful lather and the result is a much "smoother" shave experience.

abafx3zZLybnJfLDJ08OlPMrknuBIFnVxVUpwNGrvM_0OvQuPhQjccysBL-QMkyWlXpWbLTVwMSv4sPuoCYnnq2EX-xZUuAb2QAwZagUgTUfJnoYhfjz_envb7Z4jfbkmYOGPwGJta1L_0jn4b-U4zoJysmmERKl6fiZjKlLS9MGWDw2C6oEh_synebbPrc7fSlGnhTr3YBOxsbPtHT8O7zyy15SX-EXG66mByLL0_GTnN1BQZTp4nrnZZb6UC0grV7mOAUjh50s05Pj5pfRdxv_KyDbE8bhGA7Rnq_k-iKEW4uUr_hztNA-780ZL5Ksdbe462d6yp0mM8tFkUKhqwcpd8IWC6vBC-616uwWpGZ_cBQF9QcKKvyG2z2beux5vE-R39hqWHiZ5-FmCbjToY3bJRHbyPFWLMAh1c4z1C_yX8cPEsAAyAzmHTRlyUPSYSbBBPOfQUpK7ln-sTy8cJ6LkHwtnmxA8Z1slYHl3AD05rM11Qt5iNWp1F8ppASw-L140iJ3E03Oxkz3h6WfmSe-y6qdktWDuj103kZYSNmbmqqtMUmzTGhh4fOkbmZtoF4B=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real O Melhor Exfoliant Soap
Pre-Shave : Razorock Peppermint Pre-shave
Brush : Thater 4292/3 B 22mm 2-Band Finest Silvertip Fan
Soap : Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razor : Filarmonica 13 (6/8")
After Shave : Argan Oil / Speick AS

A wonderfully leisurely Sunday morning shave - plenty of time, no pressure, maximum enjoyment. I spent what seemed likes ages on face prep and lathering, and it really paid off. I find myself agreeing with @alfredus more and more these days : prep and lather is possibly the most important part of the shave. There's no doubt in my mind that the quality of the shave can't be better than the quality of the prep. So I ended up cleansed, massaged, exfoliated, hydrated and lathered to perfection, and enjoyed every bit of the process :)(y):) From that point on, I couldn't really fail. The Filarmonica sang through 2 passes and left me just glowing.

Shaving is one of those simple activities in life that can deliver incredible satisfaction, yet so few of us are lucky enough to experience it regularly....

Great razor stand. Is that of your invention? Awesome idea. Simple, clean, and cheap.

Pre: Occam's Lime
Brush: Semogue 1800
Blade: Astra
Razor: Murkur 34c
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Hazelnut Cuppachino
Scent: Brut33

After a couple of shaves with a Feather, I decided to go back to the Astra as the previous benchmark. Well, doesn't the Astra feel dull after a feather! Two pass, with and then against, and a clean up. Shave was close but felt like I had to work to get it compared to the feather. It leaves me wondering if there is a blade between the two? Fatboy should be here this week, so i'm looking forward to trying the feather and Astra on the various settings to fine tune their aggressiveness. Brush is on it's third use, lathers well, nice backbone, no complaints. Shaver Heaven - great as usual.

On the lookout for a new aftershave, I found some Tabac balm in a chemist yesterday. I liked the scent, and the Mrs loved it. I set to finding a shop that sells the soap and the aftershave lotion (not the spray, or balm) but I cannot find one in Australia so nothing ordered. I find it weird they all have a range of Tabac but never both the soap AND the lotion.

Great razor stand. Is that of your invention? Awesome idea. Simple, clean, and cheap.

No, not my invention @Sxot - don't remember where I saw it, but it was easy to cobble it together once I figured out what magnet strength and distance to use. It will also hold the razor so it looks like it's balancing on the point of the scales, which looks pretty out there :

150926_zpsnmnu8pod.png

After a couple of shaves with a Feather, I decided to go back to the Astra as the previous benchmark. Well, doesn't the Astra feel dull after a feather! Two pass, with and then against, and a clean up. Shave was close but felt like I had to work to get it compared to the feather. It leaves me wondering if there is a blade between the two?

May I suggest you try Polsilver Super Iridium blades? They are like a smooth version of a Feather - still very sharp, but really comfortable. A few of us swear by them - @Lifes a Peach and myself particularly, but I think @Psmith has been having good shaves with them too. If you can't get them quickly or easily, sing out for help here - I'm sure we can rustle a trial pack up for you (y)

No, not my invention @Sxot - don't remember where I saw it, but it was easy to cobble it together once I figured out what magnet strength and distance to use. It will also hold the razor so it looks like it's balancing on the point of the scales, which looks pretty out there :

150926_zpsnmnu8pod.png

May I suggest you try Polsilver Super Iridium blades? They are like a smooth version of a Feather - still very sharp, but really comfortable. A few of us swear by them - @Lifes a Peach and myself particularly, but I think @Psmith has been having good shaves with them too. If you can't get them quickly or easily, sing out for help here - I'm sure we can rustle a trial pack up for you (y)

Oooh I like the balancing act.
Polsilver you say? @Lifes a Peach has kindly put a pack of Polsilver Super Iridium in the mail for me last week. I will bump them to the head of trial queue after your recommendation.

Cheers.

Proraso Green Preshave
Parker 91R
Voskhod
Whipped Dog Silvertip
Proraso Green Soap
Proraso Green Splash
Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango balm

Great menthol hit for a hot day. Used the badger for the last 3 shaves, Its my first badger and I'm really enjoying it.

Fatboy should be here this week, so i'm looking forward to trying the feather and Astra on the various settings to fine tune their aggressiveness.
Feather in a mild razor is the way to go, but I've also found that I prefer Astras in my Fatboy, Feathers seems to harsh for the first few shaves.
May I suggest you try Polsilver Super Iridium blades? They are like a smooth version of a Feather - still very sharp, but really comfortable. A few of us swear by them - @Lifes a Peach and myself particularly, but I think @Psmith has been having good shaves with them too.
They're my go to blade in my iKon slant. Love them.
Blades shave differently in each razor. My 1904 OC and Fatboy love Astras, my EJ89 loves a Feather. The slant ain't too choosy but PolSilver SIs are perfection in it.

Brush: Simpsons Berkeley 46 Best Badger 2-band
Razor: Muhle R89 Classic
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (1)
Soap: Cella
After Shave: Natio Calming ASB
Fragrance: Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

Since I own a Duke 3 Best and I really enjoy the Berkeley 46 Best I'm very lucky to have both Simpsons Brush straight from the factory in UK, should I get another Simpsons Brush? Yes or No? :whistle::whistle::whistle: I have 6 brushes in total the last brush was a travel brush Omega Hi-Brush Synthetic

Last edited:
Sword: Danshaku 70 - thanks @Draco Noir
Suds: MWF / Omega S10108
Salve: Myrsol Antesol

A few months ago Draco sent me a Japanese symmetrical grind, Western style razor. I went on holidays and when I returned it was waiting for me. I then gave it to @bald as to hone and tonight I gave it my first shave. I may have found a new favourite razor and if not, it's extremely close to the Takemaru.

The Japanese make incredible razors. I now appreciate their hybrids or Westerns much more than their traditional kamisoris. Once again, the steel on this razor feels very substantial. It's a thick grind and it would really smart if one were too drop it on one's toe. It's now clear that hollow grinds don't suit my facial topology so I'll be equipping my den with only rigid grinds from here on in.

Very happy shaver tonight.

I now appreciate their hybrids or Westerns much more than their traditional kamisoris. Once again, the steel on this razor feels very substantial.

Couldn't agree more @khun_diddy. I have to admit I was trying to find ways to "retain" your new acquisition. :)

The grind is wonderful and the size of the blade would have to be my preferred size. I would have to make a shorty but it would never compare to your razor. @Draco Noir has the best eye for Japanese steel.

Pre: Musgo Real Soap
Soap: Meissner Tremonia Moroccan
Brush: Simpson Duke 2 Best
Razor: Merkur 1904 Open Comb
Blade: Astra SP

Love this soap more each time I use it and the Duke did it justice.
Took the 1904 out for a spin for the first time in a while. It's a very mild razor, so much so that I struggled to get a close enough shave with my hair. Maybe one for the B/S/T? Still, it's by far the most comfortable razor I have. I've never been nicked or had any burn from this razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.