Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday 14 February 2016

228259d1455457994-sun-february-14th-sat-february-20th-sotd-14022016.jpg

RazorGuy Shave!

This Sunday I felt like shaving with the homemade shaving products I make - therefore they are not for sale - so I used my pre-shave oil, shaving soap and Bay Rum aftershave. As for the aftershave I opted for my new Bay Rum, although there is also another one I call "Thyrrenus" - because of the noble Etruscan people who lived in Perugia, my city, 3000 years ago - but I like using this one in summertime because it has a more refreshing and cooling effect. As for the razor, I opted for this Mastro Livi RWL34 and I must say I like this stainless steel very much, always giving a very close shave - somewhat aggressive - but absolutely super smooth. I also have to say, the more I use my shaving soap the more I like it. Its post shave effect and feeling on the skin is absolutely superb!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Voigt & Cop High Mountain White Badger, Maple Handle, 24 mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

SLIP: Original Source - Lime (shower gel, heavily mentholated)
Barrister & Mann - Belaudere
SHARP: Polsilver - SI (3)
Merkur (rebranded as Hoffritz) - Travel Slant
SOOTHE: Shaver Heaven - Arctic Mango

Despite not realising bbs, a bloody enjoyable shave.
Top products, top scents and this new razor, OMG so much fun to whizz around planet face.
If you liken R41 to a big cumbersome, yet effortlessly easy to drive V8, the 37C the Grand Tourer, this would be the cafe racer. Nimble, light and ridiculously fun to spiritly drive around town and twisty roads in the hills, yet you have to work with it to get the best out of it, otherwise it's a dog until brought up to speed and get some revs into the engine.
It appears to have a narrow unforgiving cutting range, yet feels oh so good when you hit it :D
I look forward to learning it's idiosyncrasies :)

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum (8)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Dr Jon's Anne Bonny Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Another sample that @filobiblic gave me long ago of the Dr Jon's Anne Bonny.

What a lovely, enticing scent. Oh how she delights!

Coupled with a splash of Captain's Choice bay rum to finish - great shave ;)

Last edited:
SOTD
Vitos Preshave
S&C Silvertip
i Coloniali soap
Futur
Sputnik (1)
Fine Clean Vetiver
Encre Noir EDT

Wow, @unobtainium81 - you actually shaved with a "Battlestar Galactica" :eek: Seriously, you'd be the only person I've come across who owns a Futur. Please don't be shy - tell us all about it from a discerning shaver's point of view :) It seems to be one of the most opinion polarising razors around..

20160215_074504 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Post Shave: Razorock Lime balm and Fine Fresh Vetiver
Two pass shave with touch up under the chin. Excellent Monday morning shave to start the week. First use of the Fine fresh vetiver and the Fine aftershave is an excellent aftershave with an alcohol sting and then a menthol hit. However, after 30 minutes the scent is all but gone. Pity.

Wow, @unobtainium81 - you actually shaved with a "Battlestar Galactica" :eek: Seriously, you'd be the only person I've come across who owns a Futur. Please don't be shy - tell us all about it from a discerning shaver's point of view :) It seems to be one of the most opinion polarising razors around..
I've only got I recently so probably about the third time I've used it. I borrowed one ages ago and got on ok with it. It's very heavy and capable of being very aggressive. I did struggle a bit under the nose but don't have any problems now. I do like how the blade sits in the head, none of that usual slackness you can get with other Merkur razors.

IgmQhjB.jpg

Menthol Monday

Prep: Proraso Pre/Post Shave balm
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse (maiden voyage)
Soap: Proraso Shave Cream
After: Proraso Splash

d4122ec698e499b982c724d2b802e274.jpg

Valentine's Day & Eve of 50th Birthday Shave

St James Mandarin/Patchouli Oil
Shavemac 173 Silvertip
SV Manna di Sicilia Soap
Muhle R41 (2011) on UFO TiTan handle
Gillette green blade
Osma Alum
Phoenix Alfin
Creed Original Vetiver EDT

A glorious shave prior to a lovely dinner with my gorgeous life partner. BBS enough for the next day of leisure that followed for my big 5-0.

Happy shaving all.

Last edited:

Shavemac 173 Silvertip
SV Manna di Sicilia Soap
Gillette green blade
Osma Alum
Phoenix Alfin

A glorious shave prior to a lovely dinner with my gorgeous life partner. BBS enough for the next day of leisure that followed for my big 5-0.

Happy shaving all.

Happy birthday mate - the big Five 'O' - an impressive number achieved by the best this year I believe ...

Congrats (nice shave too BTW)

d4122ec698e499b982c724d2b802e274.jpg

Shavemac 173 Silvertip
SV Manna di Sicilia Soap
Gillette green blade
Osma Alum
Phoenix Alfin

Happy shaving all.
Congrats upon the half century, now to bat on for a ton :)

Status
Not open for further replies.