Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUWjpAe.jpg
Yesterday's Shave

Amazing 3 pass to a BBS yesterday. Such a great combo, The Duke made short work of lathering the 'Suds' (lather), the 5/8 Dovo Diamant had no trouble with the whiskers. Then finished it up with the Alum, Thayers Cucumber and Natio Maximum Razor Relief lotion. It was such a good shave that I'm just getting a bit of stubble this morning(y)

Have a great week gents and happy shaving.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: CRSW Bergamot & Bay
Aftershave: Myrsol Metisol

Ahh that CRSW is a great soap too!
Myrsol also gives a great finish.

Enjoy the day off those celebrating QEII's official birthday today!

100469210_queen-xlarge_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

gbh-3K4h4r9qJ2axI2b0Br9s3Sow1jleqUUx0Elrtf8OPkrGsLcb9E9EamSTnBsWUaJsMxiIIj8mNreVUOe1u4MhIIbNcqpc3-k4PubKh5_3fjdqPCglSzI3hNk1wqhqfG3ROL1IaZtYgRTeRLOQkTQPpAH9CAGKWdi6cLu0F-UMFcw9otKOD_Q5EW4c6DXNzkSZOnWLdwcGOJ289vbwi4sn4SuEkG3fWL_y8RfZAmkBzfXjB7GCnMPrH0mNXm2B5SlAkLtNMs-FAyteVCMeNlq0xTIOBLe8yAL_kvekzEW8pwJ8mwPpaq6qwFbmeyuCdQtGpgpyb_OgerqVBD4r26WVbQhgugcKpx2Or47VBOLh8005-kfZ7u5EOAVQ8NWutsFAVgpqaoM1aq1AtMx9c2eURRWapUZIQ_QncPBN81Kx9cxEraGotLz3yGWWXGovz4zrKCNwrF9As0_bB7P9tvHfcjH1uqYX_1Rhuf4A_i3OaJtIV67Jbekpv9EM6GlKvI4xmVVYBHeT0vsMIAdyAgt9kPG5MeqJ14cSkSIL6yr6TNn0lyLpF8U4sI2TldaJS0y_ebsvB8pqu1PVXROZJndWUVtRVTw=w366-h285-no

Face Wash : Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac custom
Soap : Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Razor : Jerry Stark 6/8 Spanish Point
After Shave : Alum, Myrsol Metilsol, Tom Ford Venetiam Bergamot

Cruisy Monday

Plenty of time on hand today, so I took a relaxed approach to the whole exercise. I decided to give a bit of air time to things I haven't used in a while, hence the lineup above. I had a wee setback during the preshave stage - my bottle of Myrsol Emulsion produced only a weak farting noise and no emulsion on first squeeze. A bit of shaking and banging of the bottle finally produced enough product to do the job, but sadly the bottle is officially dead :cry: Thank goodness I have a spare bottle tucked away - Myrsol is far too important to run out of ;)

The small but very capable Shavemac custom whipped up a very good lather from the Un Jour Gris soap. This particular flavour was hand-picked for me by @Lifes a Peach and he sure chose well. The fragrance is excellent (knock off of Creed Aventus or somesuch) and the lather quality is superior : not the level of Mike's or Mystic Water, but very decent nonetheless.

Sometimes in shaving, as in life, the most unassuming items really deliver the results. No fanfare, no bling or eye-candy other than functional design, but perfectly focused on the task they were designed for. Such was the case with today's razor, the Jerry Stark Spanish Point. It's attractive, but strictly in the way that "form follows function". It has no gratuitous decoration or bling at all. It shaves brilliantly, but without making any ripples at all : it's silent, smooth, gentle and it shaves perfectly. What more could you ask of it? Maybe acoustic feedback, but it's really a nice change shaving with a noise-free blade.

Two easy, incredibly comfortable passes gave me a 90% BBS result, which was enough for me today. (I have a bit of irritation which I didn't want to antagonize, so didn't gun forr BBS in those spots). The alum went on without even the hint of a sting, despite the closeness of the shave. The Metilsol felt great going on and left my skin feeling soft and well hydrated, then half an hour later I enjoyed the freshness of Tom Ford's Venetian Bergamot. Such a pity it's only a tiny sample :(

A very pleasant and relaxing shave for what I hope will be a pleasant and relaxing day :)

20160613_104236 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce and Proraso Red preshave cream
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather(3)
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: B&M Latha Le Petit Cypre
Post Shave: Alum and B&M Le Petit Cypre post shave splash
Three pass shave on this day off so it was a, time is not important, shave. The feather was done half way through the final pass so two shaves from a feather is the limit for me. Two small nicks the result but the alum took care of that. Still a smooth BBS the result. The Latha takes lots of water and provides an excellent environment to shave in. Pleasant scent and the matching post shave splash matches the soaps scent and is a good way to finish off the shave.

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: SOC
Soap: SDM
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather

Got considerably better lather from the SDM today compared to my previous uses. Lather Shot.

Standard loaded with a brand new Feather is amazing. Superbly matched. Thanks @Osman and @Lifes a Peach for sharing this. I find it hard to move onto other razor and blade combo for a while now.

Great shave achieved on a great day off.

Last edited by a moderator:
1_Full_Size_Render.jpg

Face Wash : Blind Barber
Brush : Shavemac Custom 2 Band
Soap : S.V Cosmo
Razor : Rockwell (5)
Blade: GSB (3)
After Shave : Alum, Floid Suave

The brush continues to do its special thing. Lather shot here.
The Cosmo is a top notch soap. It's thirsty and creates a very slick lather. Expensive, but worthwhile. My only regret is not getting the A/S with this as the scent is terrific. (@silver I know you'll pick this up soon - get the scent, I believe you'll love it)
The Rockwell on (5) is incredibly efficient and still as smooth as when it's on 3 or 4. They really have something special going on with this razor.

1_Full_Size_Render.jpg

Face Wash : Blind Barber
Brush : Shavemac Custom 2 Band
Soap : S.V Cosmo
Razor : Rockwell (5)
Blade: GSB (3)
After Shave : Alum, Floid Suave

The brush continues to do its special thing. Lather shot here.
The Cosmo is a top notch soap. It's thirsty and creates a very slick lather. Expensive, but worthwhile. My only regret is not getting the A/S with this as the scent is terrific. (@silver I know you'll pick this up soon - get the scent, I believe you'll love it)
The Rockwell on (5) is incredibly efficient and still as smooth as when it's on 3 or 4. They really have something special going on with this razor.
Omg you read minds?! I was looking at the cosmo on shaving.ie and I'm very keen on poking the add to cart button when you mentioned me here. I think I have to get it. No choice here.

gbh-3K4h4r9qJ2axI2b0Br9s3Sow1jleqUUx0Elrtf8OPkrGsLcb9E9EamSTnBsWUaJsMxiIIj8mNreVUOe1u4MhIIbNcqpc3-k4PubKh5_3fjdqPCglSzI3hNk1wqhqfG3ROL1IaZtYgRTeRLOQkTQPpAH9CAGKWdi6cLu0F-UMFcw9otKOD_Q5EW4c6DXNzkSZOnWLdwcGOJ289vbwi4sn4SuEkG3fWL_y8RfZAmkBzfXjB7GCnMPrH0mNXm2B5SlAkLtNMs-FAyteVCMeNlq0xTIOBLe8yAL_kvekzEW8pwJ8mwPpaq6qwFbmeyuCdQtGpgpyb_OgerqVBD4r26WVbQhgugcKpx2Or47VBOLh8005-kfZ7u5EOAVQ8NWutsFAVgpqaoM1aq1AtMx9c2eURRWapUZIQ_QncPBN81Kx9cxEraGotLz3yGWWXGovz4zrKCNwrF9As0_bB7P9tvHfcjH1uqYX_1Rhuf4A_i3OaJtIV67Jbekpv9EM6GlKvI4xmVVYBHeT0vsMIAdyAgt9kPG5MeqJ14cSkSIL6yr6TNn0lyLpF8U4sI2TldaJS0y_ebsvB8pqu1PVXROZJndWUVtRVTw=w366-h285-no

Face Wash : Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac custom
Soap : Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Razor : Jerry Stark 6/8 Spanish Point
After Shave : Alum, Myrsol Metilsol, Tom Ford Venetiam Bergamot

Cruisy Monday

Plenty of time on hand today, so I took a relaxed approach to the whole exercise. I decided to give a bit of air time to things I haven't used in a while, hence the lineup above. I had a wee setback during the preshave stage - my bottle of Myrsol Emulsion produced only a weak farting noise and no emulsion on first squeeze. A bit of shaking and banging of the bottle finally produced enough product to do the job, but sadly the bottle is officially dead :cry: Thank goodness I have a spare bottle tucked away - Myrsol is far too important to run out of ;)

The small but very capable Shavemac custom whipped up a very good lather from the Un Jour Gris soap. This particular flavour was hand-picked for me by @Lifes a Peach and he sure chose well. The fragrance is excellent (knock off of Creed Aventus or somesuch) and the lather quality is superior : not the level of Mike's or Mystic Water, but very decent nonetheless.

Sometimes in shaving, as in life, the most unassuming items really deliver the results. No fanfare, no bling or eye-candy other than functional design, but perfectly focused on the task they were designed for. Such was the case with today's razor, the Jerry Stark Spanish Point. It's attractive, but strictly in the way that "form follows function". It has no gratuitous decoration or bling at all. It shaves brilliantly, but without making any ripples at all : it's silent, smooth, gentle and it shaves perfectly. What more could you ask of it? Maybe acoustic feedback, but it's really a nice change shaving with a noise-free blade.

Two easy, incredibly comfortable passes gave me a 90% BBS result, which was enough for me today. (I have a bit of irritation which I didn't want to antagonize, so didn't gun forr BBS in those spots). The alum went on without even the hint of a sting, despite the closeness of the shave. The Metilsol felt great going on and left my skin feeling soft and well hydrated, then half an hour later I enjoyed the freshness of Tom Ford's Venetian Bergamot. Such a pity it's only a tiny sample :(

A very pleasant and relaxing shave for what I hope will be a pleasant and relaxing day :)
Great write-up, @Draco Noir.

GPyykgf.png

Brush : Semogue LE 2012 Badger & Boar
Soap : Antiga Barbearia de Bairro
Razor : Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade : Feather
After : Thayers & Agua de Colonia Concentrada Alvarez Gomez

Happy Birthday Your Majesty. Thank you for this public holiday so that I was afforded the time to shave without the rush to meet the bus driver or my cycling partner. Today's shave had a Spanish & Portuguese flavour. With the exception of the razor and blade of course. The ABdB soap still doesn't thrill me with it's waxy scent but it's the slickest soap in my cupboard.

The NEW and Feather combination is another of those great ones. Very close, forgiving, and smooth without any irritation or bloodshed. My face was baby butt smooth after the standard 2 passes.

Nicely finished off with some Thayers and the very special AdC.

DFDtZnQl.jpg

Brush: Simpsons M7
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: Gillette Black
Soap: Barrister and Mann Arctique
A/S: Barrister and Mann Arctique

This may well be my last go with the Arctique. Even in a very well heated house it's just to cold for me. Although the result is nice and smooth.

George%20Butler%20Keen_zpsi5sosm82.jpg

Cold water shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Face lather
Blade: George Butler - Keen 6/8

Great scent to this soap though the lather is good though not great. Certainly works but there are "slicker" local soaps around. George Butler is sharf and efficient, Smooth shave with one small cut on the chin where I lost attention. Great, close shave apart from that blemish.

Ripper shave LaP!

The ABdB soap still doesn't thrill me with it's waxy scent but it's the slickest soap in my cupboard.
My thoughts exactly! When I had the soap it was one of my slickest soaps.

Fun Fact: It's not only MADE by the same company who make the Portus Cale soap, but the soap is the SAME! [emoji6]

George%20Butler%20Keen_zpsi5sosm82.jpg

Cold water shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Face lather
Blade: George Butler - Keen 6/8

Great scent to this soap though the lather is good though not great. Certainly works but there are "slicker" local soaps around. George Butler is sharf and efficient, Smooth shave with one small cut on the chin where I lost attention. Great, close shave apart from that blemish.

I don't use straights but oh my. As a Shakespeare nut (and an English teacher) that is awesome.

Ripper shave LaP!

My thoughts exactly! When I had the soap it was one of my slickest soaps.

Fun Fact: It's not only MADE by the same company who make the Portus Cale soap, but the soap is the SAME! [emoji6]

Thanks Filo :) It gets some exceptional reviews from both within and outside the social media fraternity but...hmmmm...that waxy smell is an acquired taste. The smell has been described as "port wine aging in old cellars". Hopefully it will mellow out with more use.

Thanks Filo :) It gets some exceptional reviews from both within and outside the social media fraternity but...hmmmm...that waxy smell is an acquired taste. The smell has been described as "port wine aging in old cellars". Hopefully it will mellow out with more use.
That waxy smell wasn't really nice, kinda like candles when I first got it. I didn't quite look forward to it the few times I used it.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Myrsol Formula K

The Marlborough has @alfredus, @Osman and @silver to thank for surviving in my rotation with their lovely and inspiring lather pics. Despite its nice wooden bowl it would have been gone if not for the lather revival I've experienced inspired by those guys.

Today, however, it was a disappointment. In comparison to the Mike's, B&M and CRSW it is clearly a notch below on today's results. I accept that this could be technique but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.