Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: - Rockwell 6s #3
Blade: - Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Brush: - Simpsons Duke 3 Best Badger
Soap/Cream: - Martin de Candre Scented Shaving Soap
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Natio Maximum Razor Relief Healing Lotion
Scotch Whisky: - Johnnie Walker Double Black

Last night still having the same issue again with plate #3 and still given me some irritation under the whole neck area nothing has change, I might as well go straight to plate #4 with a new fresh blade for my next shave soon fingers cross. Thanks goodness for Johnnie Walker Double Black for the extra smoky flavor with orange & hints of vanilla & a touch of citrus spice to keep me warm and enjoyable throughout my shave in the bathroom winter seasons. ;)(y)

Last edited:
Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Myrsol Formula K

The Marlborough has @alfredus, @Osman and @silver to thank for surviving in my rotation with their lovely and inspiring lather pics. Despite its nice wooden bowl it would have been gone if not for the lather revival I've experienced inspired by those guys.

Today, however, it was a disappointment. In comparison to the Mike's, B&M and CRSW it is clearly a notch below on today's results. I accept that this could be technique but ...

Omg Senpai noticed me! So much honor. But I too share the same sentiment. Ever since I have been exposed to artisan soaps like B&M, Eufros, Shaverheaven, MdC, SV and many others, my DR Harris puck has been gathering dust for a while now.

20160614_082408 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce and Proraso Red Preshave cream
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Strop Shoppe Carnaby
Post Shave: Gummy Balm and Old Spice AS
Three pass shave. Bought the progress more than 16 months ago when I first starting DE shaving and used it for a couple of weeks then put it away. Just could not figure it out and it was a poor choice for a beginner. Moved to a Edwin Jagger DE89 which was just so much easier to use. Saw it sitting in the cupboard so decided to give it another go. Set on 1.5 it gave me a very comfortable three pass shave with no nicks or cuts. Quite mild on this setting but happy to get through a shave with the razor. My technique has improved enough so I can now use this razor with confidence.

dpXMBtLznxXXD6skdABxKb_cGNXNSai6iWPuP9mY7PNaOVQfrk9Od8eFcPugUsMYWOpby0bu7yxkdMdb1Ie4WGNRG677DqEwH3jpNyTZGXPEOgqx8z6mHIMG--Cs6N_AG4f03jCkbRumC3zxprGSGkQmJkRxYN0lTlysnzB7YtsGnjZzoons-ex3C4OOHPmXwi8WsnW2Tcu29ggNB4jW-3sc64wLBtD-o61JXbQuhvLIaeqT4j7oHXhpTi43r1DPr_uzi3THNiUNyj0k6JzEmUrlscxDBBBJIEcp1GI5jz87iRSqGFgDhJLXKeiEW3fLf9A0hdD_jWGO_0GRmru6Y1zRyvTDc7FChxl0RQZva-9gN-bbbBZJ3LasbzavtPlZAnrFFvBpjmVCfSkNEYAZQerTXTAbxABF7BJ-0U9FVuh4g-9agHvK8RcbrmOSRWaLIeZm4cwm1d78xGXzWjqBT9_2CCivJL_9ZyzwGlLqmc0vB4hhC0ojAg86_6SaAfayhKsVHbZIayhRHBZG7UEPEJfS3vYbcqvI73eizpKdzCRTRKV8s4acgwcLqPojUxcKd31ztwD1nDN9NXbjFJIfzq3022uoFuw=w1192-h902-no

Face Wash : Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Proraso White Pre-shave
Brush : Simpson Commodore X1
Soap : The Strop Shoppe Via Dell' Ambra
Razor : Jerry Stark 6/8 Spanish Point
After Shave : Alum, Speick AS, Lipikar Balm, Davidoff Cool Water

After yesterday's excellent shave with the Jerry Stark Spanish Point razor, I couldn't resist dragging it out again and looking to repeat the experience. I changed brush and soap, and in line with my current attempt to give more air time to relatively neglected items in my shave cave, I decided on the Strop Shoppe's excellent Via Dell' Ambra. Since the Strop Shoppe has closed its doors, this is now a collectable, like the puck of their "Carnaby" that our @Osman used for his SOTD above. A beautiful lather ensued, ready for the main event.

The razor felt even better than yesterday : I was expecting it today and believe me, I made the absolute most of it. I don't know why it is, but this razor is absolutely amazing for the XTG and ATG passes. It sails through the whiskers, but with a level of comfort and security that few of my other razors can match. The end result was close to full BBS, and I was very satisfied indeed. No nicks, weepers or irritation at all. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending Jerry Stark's standard razors - excellent value and superior performance.

I applied the usual finishers, and when the fragrances had pretty much died down applied a liberal dose of Davidoff Cool Water. This is a pretty decent knock off of the famous Green Irish Tweed fragrance, and is brilliant value at the moment : $35 for a 125ml atomiser bottle at good ol' Chemist Warehouse...

Shave On !!!

Brush: Plisson

Soap: Caties Bubbles Waterlyptus

Razor: Fatip Grande

Blade: Personna Blue Comfort Coated formerly Lab blue but in white wrapper made in usa blade of mystery

Aftershave: Thayers Lemon, Fine American Blend

Balm: Shaver Heaven Barbershop

Trying something a bit different this week. The Fatip is great for a Monday morning, but I rarely use it a second time as it's quite aggressive. My normal weekday Razor has been something less agressive, like a EJ DE89, doing a standard 3 pass shave whilst simulatanetously justifying my username on here.

Given the closeness of this mornings shave, I'll try the Fatip each day this week, but only do two passes to see if it keeps irritation at bay.

Aftershave combo didn't match the soap in any way, nor did it match my cologne afterwards. In fact, nothing matched throughout. Still, a BBS shave to start the week.
Is the Fatip more aggressive than say the Muhle R41? But not as aggressive as say the IKON Tech?

Last edited by a moderator:
GPyykgf.png

Brush : Semogue LE 2012 Badger & Boar
Soap : Antiga Barbearia de Bairro
Razor : Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade : Feather
After : Thayers & Agua de Colonia Concentrada Alvarez Gomez

Happy Birthday Your Majesty. Thank you for this public holiday so that I was afforded the time to shave without the rush to meet the bus driver or my cycling partner. Today's shave had a Spanish & Portuguese flavour. With the exception of the razor and blade of course. The ABdB soap still doesn't thrill me with it's waxy scent but it's the slickest soap in my cupboard.

The NEW and Feather combination is another of those great ones. Very close, forgiving, and smooth without any irritation or bloodshed. My face was baby butt smooth after the standard 2 passes.

Nicely finished off with some Thayers and the very special AdC.

Fantastic picture @Lifes a Peach - well done my friend (y)

20160614_SOTDSInvertBW_zpsd8nq2ftr.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac
Lather: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, Australian Emu Oil​

Woke up today way to early and had therefore some extra time in the bathroom to spend. So I decided to use the luxury department. It took me only 14 days to recover from MayDness and my first encounter with Mystic Water this month was a revelation! Have you ever experienced dripping lather :D:D:D

Take a look at the lather pictures...

The shave itself was simply perfect, everything just clicked and half a day later my face feels still like in heaven. Enjoy your Tuesday every one (y)

cameringo_20160614_165142.jpg

Pre-Shave
: Shower
Razor: Kamisori western grind (9)
Brush: Stirling 22mm synth
Lather: RazorRock Sandalwood
Post-shave: Alum, Nivea post shave balm

FRAT below.

Apologies for the crap photo.

Ninth shave with the Kamisori. I've been really happy with how far I've come and how fast I've progressed. The last couple of shaves in particular have resulted in the closest shaves I've ever had. I got to thinking and while the end result has been outstanding I'm always looking for ways to maximise and fast tract my learning. A discussion the other day with Sensei @Draco Noir got me thinking, the bases of that discussion being is even if your WTG pass isn't perfect you can make up some or all that ground in the XTG or ATG pass. Then I thought rather than do my usual two or three pass shave what if I only did an WTG pass then I couldn't rely on another pass to make up for any areas that weren't quite up to standard.

This meant I really had to focus on getting every aspect of the WTG pass right. I quickly realised there were quite a few areas of my WTG pass were lacking and I had been relying on getting them in another pass. For example trying to get just under my nose even pushing it up was next to impossible yet was easy when going XTG. After trying various forms of hand related gymnastics I ended up being able to just get the area using the first half centimetre of the Kamisori. Certain areas of the chin, jawline and neck were similar where I'd rely on utilising a proportion of the blade and while I had done the exact thing in previous shaves once again I had been relying on getting them on the XTG or ATG pass due to the angles involved rather than in the WTG pass.

The whole shave wasn't much quicker than when I've done a three pass shave and obviously it also wasn't as close either but that wasn't what I was trying to achieve. What I did achieve was a nick free consistent single WTG pass shave that while not BBS, it was still relatively close to a DFS. While I had been enjoying the last couple of BBS shaves it's been an invaluable learning experience pairing everything back and focusing on improving the process to getting to BBS.

Ultimately a great WTG pass isn't imperative but it's also doesn't hurt and today's shave has not only helped improve my WTG pass but more importantly improved my dexterity with the blade which is always very satisfying. This is also in line with my long term goal to eventually become proficient with a traditional asymmetrical grind Kamisori, while this is obviously a long way off given my progress thus far it certainly appears to be an achievable goal especially with Draco's help and guidance.

Another trick I've been doing for want of a better description (not in line with becoming proficient with a traditional Kami) is any areas I could do with either hand I made sure to use my least dominate hand being my left. I find this a great way to fast track my dexterity with my non master hand especially in some of the more tricky and tighter spots. I'm not suggesting this would be a good idea for everyone but it works really well for me and something to consider.

Disclaimer:
I'm right hand dominate but I'm somewhat ambidextrous and write with my left so although it's not as comfortable as my right it's not that huge of a leap for me.

FRAT: Focused on improving WTG pass only. Had a great shave and I achieved the desired result of improving my WTG pass and increasing my dexterity with the blade :D

Last edited:
Pre: GFT Lime skin food
Brush: Epsilon Brown Horse Fan 26mm
Soap: SV 70th
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather

I started out with the load/hydrate method today. I figured that it seems to work best with SV. Lather generated was relatively pasty, but surprisingly wasn't that bad. Usually paste lather equals bloodbath for me. But not with the SV. SV is truly a masterpiece. Should anyone is still on the fence with this product, I urge you to not think twice about getting it, you will not regret it.
Worked out that you should use too much pressure with the horse and just lightly use the tips and painting motion works best. Really liking the horse now.
Smooth irritation free shave achieved.

DFDtZnQl.jpg

Brush: Simpsons M7
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: Gillette Black
Soap: Barrister and Mann Arctique
A/S: Barrister and Mann Arctique

This may well be my last go with the Arctique. Even in a very well heated house it's just to cold for me. Although the result is nice and smooth.
@Nightguard - I introduced my son to Arctique aftershave today. He was enjoying it until hypothermia and frostbite cut things short. The endothermic reaction on his bonce was rapidly reversed upon application of a liberal dose of Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails, and he was again a happy camper.

20160614_SOTDSInvertBW_zpsd8nq2ftr.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac
Lather: Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, Australian Emu Oil​

Woke up today way to early and had therefore some extra time in the bathroom to spend. So I decided to use the luxury department. It took me only 14 days to recover from MayDness and my first encounter with Mystic Water this month was a revelation! Have you ever experienced dripping lather :D:D:D

Take a look at the lather pictures...

The shave itself was simply perfect, everything just clicked and half a day later my face feels still like in heaven. Enjoy your Tuesday every one (y)
Cool photo.

Pre: Musgo Real Glycerin Lime Oil soap; Proraso Green cream
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
Post: Alum block, B.P. grade Witch Hazel, Lucky Tiger Face Balm
Cologne: DR Harris Mayfair

Took the much vaunted Tabac shaving soap for my first spin today. I'd always shied away from it, I guess as I grew up seeing it on the chemist shelf alongside Brut and Old Spice, and never took it seriously. However, after reading many reviews and wet shavers' opinions, I gleaned that it was a 'classic' product and well worth trying.
I was expecting a stronger scent, based upon what I had read, but I simply found it to have a pleasant, clean soapy fragrance. It took me a while to get the lather to come together - I found it to be quite a thirsty soap. The performance was very good; a nice three pass shave with only minor irritation. I stayed away from the usual alcohol-based A/S lotion, as I've been getting some neck irritation of late, and hit the old mug with lots of TLC. Very happy with the result.
To finish up, applied some DR Harris Mayfair cologne. This is the most exotic of the (6) DR Harris fragrances I have tried to date. It is bursting with floral goodness - the DR Harris notes say "A rich floral fragrance with impressions of jasmine, rose, geranium and orange blossom on a blend of base notes including sandalwood, vanilla and musk. The result is a traditionally English fragrance, subtle yet lasting."
That pretty much sums it up for me. I would class it as an evening or 'special occasion' fragrance. It is at the upper limit of my range for floral, but nevertheless a good'un.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 boar
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Myrsol F/extra

I can recall my father saying that 'a poor tradesman blames his tools'. I think I should own that comment after today's shave considering what I said about the D R Harris soap yesterday - Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

It was clearly operator error as the lather today was great, thick and rich and creamy to quote a advert for something that stuck in my head. Still not sure it is on the top tier - but it is certainly worth having around!.

img_3042.jpg
:notworthy::notworthy:
E-shave Lime preshave oil
Simpsons Duke 3
Dandy Gent Lime Shaving Cream
Darwin Deluxe
Personna 74 (2)
TOBS No 74 Limes aftershave

You

have

a

Darwin!