Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gillette Slim
Vokshod
Simpson Duke 3 Best
Saponificio Verasino Cosmo

Tried lathering like the video alfredus posted the other day & boy was it good fun.

Very nice lather that I'm sure if I had more time would of been perfect.

All ready to tackle the first exam of my Masters! Wish me luck.
Good luck

photo%204_zpswrlkmdxa.jpg

These mid-morning shaves each Saturday are the best. I really look forward to them. I've been up early enjoying the quiet doing emails/P&C'ing etc, my wife gets out of bed a couple of hours later and goes out with a friend for breakfast, I'll mow/potter 'round a bit and then 'round about 10.00-11.00am come in for a haircut and shave. Plenty of light in the bathroom, I've downed 6-8 espressos by this time, I'm awake and nobody wants to talk to me while I'm enjoying my shave in the man cave.

Cold water shave
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Brush: Simpson Berkeley badger
Face lather
Blade: Inoue Fujisuke kami

Ah; JGS TMBR -that scent. This soap lathers well, just not to the standard I've come to expect using @Anthony's Shaver Heaven soaps everyday, but that scent (JGS lacks that top-shelf slickness/glide). I'm telling ya @Anthony, there is a market for your soap with this scent. The Berkeley lathered up a storm. Whenever I use this brush I wonder why it is that I prefer the cheaper Edwin Jagger badger I have. I can only put it down to preferring a firmer/scritchier??? brush. Might have to look at getting a horse.

The kami is an excellent blade. Once you learn the angles and passes that using a traditional kamisori needs and training your body for the callisthenics required, these blades give a smooth, close shave. I really should use this blade more often just to get a bit quicker with my shaves but concentrating on every aspect of the shave, how you hold the razor, make sure the angle is correct, is the blade only lightly against the face. listen for the acoustic feedback, etc,, etc., brings back memories of my first few months of straight shaving.

A great shave, a great day.

5LgWFznGzMn0kBM4GomzEFH0bWVnmIKMw2-DBKmtbvUu6x2bCXntCwPPpaA_Fu_7buQLYaKcvCSNW_3t87-AxJincXXnfJA-Z_NNLcyhYjrJ2zHkXCvupMnW9H6l0w85f_iRaCb4bzu15IAwypS4fASQnasM2yhJbW-9EavDw5c1b1S0cqnnE0gtIhqGp7mDsbWRqYy1oLCSKLdJ5p8eQeGqvzFN0ID4iTyxTB-aWkbsArexmN7WX115DXETy_vgSS4_s_ZF7asPOlJDK8P_94_0ocwDd5WtPWb7uQjJwfw-TqElAogjU82uDjx6AID9Vmwq2J2Pz5_qQ5NzPk3jdxoNaIZoq3YJjaXtmtPeIuE5SGTqkw2EH225NeyKrB_1_jFEx0a32Qd7OXaWwt0tUVfdUIjqKVy7FJ5C10tn0aQT9IkVp95rsSPbrD_TKeIrshYeCC7IBFeSVu4n9MOFG6Sk8v1wAaT8BJbRkK8Ht0Byjz0YPqvgSRH6Ius8cEW4Fzzj2OnQmRK0_oL9vKOHbZMnAeYGlVpQNlIps9mxeuoGUtOyJ41Ea9KsqL6a1ZB6aJwARmussK5Y0b8bVB0GVqd1h69y0Os=w1275-h975-no

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Nobels Folding Kamisori
After Shave : Alum, Lipikar Balm, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS

Twice Shy...

Shaved with a pretty new (to me) folding Kami. Shave started out really well - a very agile, close cutting and comfortable ride. Then the razor suddenly bit me while shaving the jawline. It turns out that the unusually short blade gives the toe a greater chance of contacting the skin than a longer blade, and that the the toe of my Nobels is very right-angled and very sharp. @Sxot described the same experience in his recent SOTD :( Off to the honing stones this afternoon to soften that toe right out, then I think it'll be a magic little shaver :)

Rest of the shave was really pleasing thanks to the wonderful Sharp Dressed Man soap and AS combo. I like the continuity of having the same fragrance throughout the shave. What about the rest of you? Does anyone have matching soaps and aftershaves that they love? Particular pairings of soap/AS etc that are unusually brilliant? Have a wee rant please guys - tell us all what you think (y)

If I'm in the woodsy mood, I find that the DR Harris scents Sandalwood and Marlborough work well together. The Sandalwood is pure and without the sweetness of some others, and the Marlborough is bone dry and classy. I normally prefer the fresh scents, but this combo really does it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
photo%204_zpswrlkmdxa.jpg

These mid-morning shaves each Saturday are the best. I really look forward to them. I've been up early enjoying the quiet doing emails/P&C'ing etc, my wife gets out of bed a couple of hours later and goes out with a friend for breakfast, I'll mow/potter 'round a bit and then 'round about 10.00-11.00am come in for a haircut and shave. Plenty of light in the bathroom, I've downed 6-8 espressos by this time, I'm awake and nobody wants to talk to me while I'm enjoying my shave in the man cave.

Cold water shave
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Brush: Simpson Berkeley badger
Face lather
Blade: Inoue Fujisuke kami

Ah; JGS TMBR -that scent. This soap lathers well, just not to the standard I've come to expect using @Anthony's Shaver Heaven soaps everyday, but that scent (JGS lacks that top-shelf slickness/glide). I'm telling ya @Anthony, there is a market for your soap with this scent. The Berkeley lathered up a storm. Whenever I use this brush I wonder why it is that I prefer the cheaper Edwin Jagger badger I have. I can only put it down to preferring a firmer/scritchier??? brush. Might have to look at getting a horse.

The kami is an excellent blade. Once you learn the angles and passes that using a traditional kamisori needs and training your body for the callisthenics required, these blades give a smooth, close shave. I really should use this blade more often just to get a bit quicker with my shaves but concentrating on every aspect of the shave, how you hold the razor, make sure the angle is correct, is the blade only lightly against the face. listen for the acoustic feedback, etc,, etc., brings back memories of my first few months of straight shaving.

A great shave, a great day.
@Dale.Whiley - am I correct in assuming that the Johnny Good Sir soaps are now classed as unobtainium?

@Dale.Whiley - am I correct in assuming that the Johnny Good Sir soaps are now classed as unobtainium?
Yep. yep. A very sad state of affairs. I joined this forum, and Johnny was in the process of shutting up shop; still had his website up but was not answering emails. Through the goodness of others in the forum I obtained 2 x partly used jars, crammed them into one to get a very full jar and have been using it sparingly since. Down to about 3/4 jar left. This scent is legend status; whiskey, smoke, timber, engine oil, rusty barbed wire fence, broken teeth, fist fights, etc. - a real manly scent.

I like the continuity of having the same fragrance throughout the shave. What about the rest of you? Does anyone have matching soaps and aftershaves that they love? Particular pairings of soap/AS etc that are unusually brilliant? Have a wee rant please guys - tell us all what you think (y)

Totally agree. First time I bought a matching soap and aftershave was the jabonman vetiver Haiti. The scent is intoxicating and it lasts for hours. Arctique was my second set. Looking to get the B&M Beaudelaire, probably leviathan and definitely hallowed set in future.

5LgWFznGzMn0kBM4GomzEFH0bWVnmIKMw2-DBKmtbvUu6x2bCXntCwPPpaA_Fu_7buQLYaKcvCSNW_3t87-AxJincXXnfJA-Z_NNLcyhYjrJ2zHkXCvupMnW9H6l0w85f_iRaCb4bzu15IAwypS4fASQnasM2yhJbW-9EavDw5c1b1S0cqnnE0gtIhqGp7mDsbWRqYy1oLCSKLdJ5p8eQeGqvzFN0ID4iTyxTB-aWkbsArexmN7WX115DXETy_vgSS4_s_ZF7asPOlJDK8P_94_0ocwDd5WtPWb7uQjJwfw-TqElAogjU82uDjx6AID9Vmwq2J2Pz5_qQ5NzPk3jdxoNaIZoq3YJjaXtmtPeIuE5SGTqkw2EH225NeyKrB_1_jFEx0a32Qd7OXaWwt0tUVfdUIjqKVy7FJ5C10tn0aQT9IkVp95rsSPbrD_TKeIrshYeCC7IBFeSVu4n9MOFG6Sk8v1wAaT8BJbRkK8Ht0Byjz0YPqvgSRH6Ius8cEW4Fzzj2OnQmRK0_oL9vKOHbZMnAeYGlVpQNlIps9mxeuoGUtOyJ41Ea9KsqL6a1ZB6aJwARmussK5Y0b8bVB0GVqd1h69y0Os=w1275-h975-no

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Nobels Folding Kamisori
After Shave : Alum, Lipikar Balm, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS

Twice Shy...

Shaved with a pretty new (to me) folding Kami. Shave started out really well - a very agile, close cutting and comfortable ride. Then the razor suddenly bit me while shaving the jawline. It turns out that the unusually short blade gives the toe a greater chance of contacting the skin than a longer blade, and that the the toe of my Nobels is very right-angled and very sharp. @Sxot described the same experience in his recent SOTD :( Off to the honing stones this afternoon to soften that toe right out, then I think it'll be a magic little shaver :)

Rest of the shave was really pleasing thanks to the wonderful Sharp Dressed Man soap and AS combo. I like the continuity of having the same fragrance throughout the shave. What about the rest of you? Does anyone have matching soaps and aftershaves that they love? Particular pairings of soap/AS etc that are unusually brilliant? Have a wee rant please guys - tell us all what you think (y)

Love the picture - great composition @Draco Noir (y)

f0063ef5c3ff8002383dea9e89716444.jpg
Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil Soap, Proraso Green cream
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Barrister and Mann Rhapsody
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (4)
Balm: GFT Extract of Limes
A/S: PAA Déjà Fougére

Great shave tonight - the B&M Rhapsody has a beguiling fragrance and superb lather. I was not so gung ho at the sharp end tonight, and was rewarded with much less razor burn. The PAA Déjà Fougére aftershave was an excellent match with the soap. I REALLY like this PAA fragrance - very complex and a nice balance of exotic notes counterpointed by fresh notes.

Razor: - Rockwell 6s #3
Blade: - Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Brush: - Simpsons Duke 3 Best Badger
Soap/Cream: - Martin de Candre Scented Shaving Soap
Post Shave: - Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Natio Maximum Razor Relief Healing Lotion
Scotch Whisky: - Johnnie Walker Platinum (why because I'm cold and I'm in a great mood and it keeps me warm)

For some reason the Rockwell 6s plate #3 is not very smooth under the whole neck area and is given me some irritation which seem strange, I'm not so sure I should go to plate #4 soon when I put in a new fresh blade.

13427861_10205040944861773_1487783940691912737_n.jpg

yeah I'm as surprised as you!

I'd not have thought a year ago I'd be taking to my face with one of these contraptions, but curiosity got the better of me.

On the whole I am very surprised just how smooth a shave it is. Quite effective per pass esp., considering how light it all is (too light?). Actually feels deceptively safe too. Didn't claim even a drop of blood, but it builds your confidence quick and so I think I went a little pressured under parts of the chin. Not heavy irritation but not needed either. Also grip can be an issue, the jimps on the underside are welcome and I think some companions on the other side would be a neat little improvement.

Will it replace a straight?

NO WAY!

Nowhere as comfortable or smooth a result as a coticule edge. But be handy if you're travelling light (hand luggage only) and you've already forwarded or smuggled some DE blades to your destination.

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac custom
Soap: SH Spice Mahogany Tallow V3
Razor: Standard
Blade: Feather

(Shave from last night)
Definitely way overloaded the brush, not enough water for the first pass. Resulted in a very pasty, hard to rinse off lather. Goes to show that this soap sure is thirsty.

Added a lot more water on second and third pass. Much much better shave. Was hard to sense the blade during the first pass, but not during the latter passes. Amazing lather paired with an amazing razor, achieved BBS irritation free shave.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: B&M Roam
Aftershave: AoS Sandalwood Gel

Roam, roam on the brush,
The lathers all over my face.
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word,
And the shaves keep you smooth all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.