Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely photo, @alfredus

Did the Fine remind you of the Hoffritz?
Thanks my friend!

Not yet, but it was only the first shave...

Beautiful Romera BTW - what a shame he is so...not easy to work with ;)

9575c9e55da741bd9a34d5cedd095b98.jpg

Brush: Wolfwhiskers with Ubersoft II 24mm
Soap: MdC
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: Voskhod

I took a bit of extra time and loaded the brush today. Achieved an excellent wet and slick lather today. The brush is an excellent performer. I'm really enjoying this synth. I can see why they are so loved.

Great shave today, smoother than the night before, but still not that smooth yet. I still have to mind the blade and use very gentle strokes.

Please find Lather shots here.

Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable (6)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: Simpson Commodore x2
Soap: Santa Maria Del Fiore
Post Shave: Alum, Thayers Cucumber, Myrsol Emulsion

First time with the Super Adjustable since @FatBoy58 worked his magic. I don't know if he tweaked much but it is a much better shave, especially paired with this blade.
Commodore is now broken in and creating excellent lather. Not bad for $35. Still think that was a Shaverhut typo.

My first impressions of the Fine Slant, and a few other Fine bits

Pre-shave: The Shave Doctor Pre-shave Gel Oil
Soap: TOBS Coconut
Brush: Fine Accoutrements 24mm Synthetic
Razor: Fine Accoutrements Slant
Blade: Personna Blue (1)
Aftershave: TABAC Balm

Given that I have been wet shaving for only 3 months or so I don't know that I can do great justice to writing about it, but, FWIW, here goes.

My first impression was one of disappointment. Other reviews spoke of being very efficient, and reducing the number of passes the user had to make. Not so for me. I still had to do my usual four passes to get a good shave, but, I DO think it was one of the closest shaves I have had.

I usually find the first use of a blade to be less comfortable than subsequent uses and this was no exception, but no worse than my EJ DB89.

I had no difficulty finding the right angle, but I think more use will make it better.

One odd thing I noticed was when shaving the bottom RH corner of my chin, usually the thickest section of my beard. I usually have to spend a bit of time there on any pass to get through the stubble. In this case, it almost felt like the edge of the blade was flexing as I tried to cut. It was a weird sensation and only occurred in just the one spot. It is probably just the different style. There is no more blade showing than in my DB89, and theoretically is probably even more rigidly held.

But, overall, easy to use and a good shave.

The miscellany: as you can see I also bought the Fine shaving bowl and Brush. Both were satisfactory, although I was surprised at the bowl. From the website pictures I had assumed the bowl was plastic but it is ceramic. The brush was quite effective and pleasant to use too.

Razor: Rockwell 6S (2)
Blade: Voskhod (4)
Brush: Simpson duke 2 pure
Soap: Shaver Heaven Peppermint Plus
After: Alum, Jade East aftershave

3 pass shave this morning (W,X,X). The #2 plate still leaves a bit to be desired I feel. Could also be that the blade was on it's last legs also. No irritation, but also not the smoothest shave either.

20160504_082207 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Mystic Water Teakwood and Cardamom
Post Shave: Natio Balm and Fine Fresh Vetiver
Three pass shave. No worries shave with an excellent smooth, irritation free result. Love the scent of the Fine Fresh Vetiver but wish it had some staying power.

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 Boar
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Hmmm, bay rum - an essential part of EVERY shave den ...

Xix4uKUl.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 22mm 2-band Badger
Soap: Eufros Violetas (by Jabonman)
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Polsilver
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Lovely shave. My goal to use a different soap each time I shave in May is going strong. :p

Pre: Shower/ Face Wash
Soap: Sudsy Soapery 'Citrus and Bay'
Brush: St James 24mm Super Badger
Razor: Fridour Inox 6/8

Nice shave this morning, the brush is nearly broken in (beautiful face latherer). Soap is still going great, razor is still holding its keen edge. Then to finish the nice shave off, the three goodies which will be my main post shave game, only to change the scent here and there.
Have a good Hump Day gents and great shaves.

SOTN:-
Brush: Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood (2)
Razor: Razorock Mission
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Soap/Cream: Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream
Post/After Shave: Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fragrance: L'Occitane Baux

I went and bought Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream from coles for $3.50 and the scent was very nice not bad and the lather was excellent, the Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream giving me a real post feel shave leaving my skin feeling good as smooth as a baby bare bum without giving me a bloodbath. Not bad for a Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream from coles for $3.50 for 100g is a bloody ripper.

More review on the Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood
http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/com...ub-2-band-badger-brush.2547/page-2#post-64755

Last edited:
My goal to use a different soap each time I shave in May is going strong. :p

I realised I was in danger of accidentally joining in the May madness as the yeti snot was the only soap I has in the shower and had been for nearly a month already, so I swapped it out for SH Extreme Arctic Mango.
Is the eufros soap the new jabonman brand name?

/edit forget the last question, you already said as much.

m0r92riHUJywTevTLsWnuhrvv9HjZFAA5gZ8VIudmoBIaox2qkuucdrE92QQD5M8QVQ6yTi9PM7e0CwLLzUo2853eqqy-K7uId9VLmNKnJm-D2IJFHwKHrWwe74YIGj3Ao3-UrL7P41V_hlrRRznwRmRlFTD1qNIbNzopaGMU4kKVR7pME2u3M-V-YpGuEDsMWq5uykRoGIyTMBTmb6hmLXBpS2EvNtdmBWQDDT1Rbf98TWjfMxmSU9GF1znS5YM7x8DQtX12KARVb-x3cI6ITroA6SGJKA308ridSni6h3GRZDfyu7raQlHxxJjFHuSictiYil_-MPaMU2_m4DIPB3h-_NLmct-wnSkWG9NmUv10LAPnKVVZUxY73hBQwevSMelcF8z3DUkvV6uRa2K7Z5CPpCpNPnSyNQg6BT_CbCTM4J_JGtJ_I9CVYyjEwO44Ydup9xUh68lgYKAfLHj6DJm-Enj0wlB9jBAVzKRQuJxt6iodZMXrmlggo-saa7ylRvb2lkUjOPH3cIjC0i86levTqd62TLWQQEy7mLO0n6WmS9-mvYRzOcWJtg_1WFFYZCD=w929-h869-no

Wednesday Afternoon....

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Crown King Switchback 400
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Gloria "Smiling" Straight
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Hanae Mori - Him

After a few really fun days exploring the capabilities of the super little Fine Slant, it felt like time to reconnect with my straights and Kamisoris again. It didn't take long to select one of my favourites, the Gloria Curved or "Smiling" straight. I pulled out my brand new Crown King Switchback 400 and conjured up a wonderful face lather from the Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. The shave was really great and captured all of the "feel" I love from a good straight shave. Finishing off with Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man AS not only felt good, but provided a really nice continuity of fragrance.

PS : Forgot to press the "Post Reply" button hours ago, so this is more than a little late.

m0r92riHUJywTevTLsWnuhrvv9HjZFAA5gZ8VIudmoBIaox2qkuucdrE92QQD5M8QVQ6yTi9PM7e0CwLLzUo2853eqqy-K7uId9VLmNKnJm-D2IJFHwKHrWwe74YIGj3Ao3-UrL7P41V_hlrRRznwRmRlFTD1qNIbNzopaGMU4kKVR7pME2u3M-V-YpGuEDsMWq5uykRoGIyTMBTmb6hmLXBpS2EvNtdmBWQDDT1Rbf98TWjfMxmSU9GF1znS5YM7x8DQtX12KARVb-x3cI6ITroA6SGJKA308ridSni6h3GRZDfyu7raQlHxxJjFHuSictiYil_-MPaMU2_m4DIPB3h-_NLmct-wnSkWG9NmUv10LAPnKVVZUxY73hBQwevSMelcF8z3DUkvV6uRa2K7Z5CPpCpNPnSyNQg6BT_CbCTM4J_JGtJ_I9CVYyjEwO44Ydup9xUh68lgYKAfLHj6DJm-Enj0wlB9jBAVzKRQuJxt6iodZMXrmlggo-saa7ylRvb2lkUjOPH3cIjC0i86levTqd62TLWQQEy7mLO0n6WmS9-mvYRzOcWJtg_1WFFYZCD=w929-h869-no

Wednesday Afternoon....

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Crown King Switchback 400
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Gloria "Smiling" Straight
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Hanae Mori - Him

After a few really fun days exploring the capabilities of the super little Fine Slant, it felt like time to reconnect with my straights and Kamisoris again. It didn't take long to select one of my favourites, the Gloria Curved or "Smiling" straight. I pulled out my brand new Crown King Switchback 400 and conjured up a wonderful face lather from the Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. The shave was really great and captured all of the "feel" I love from a good straight shave. Finishing off with Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man AS not only felt good, but provided a really nice continuity of fragrance.

PS : Forgot to press the "Post Reply" button hours ago, so this is more than a little late.
That is a beautiful looking razor @Draco Noir (y)

904c4f768e960e1c4a1a3422e46a1a42.jpg

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: chubby 2 in best
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: Voskhod

Today the chubby seems a little steadier, only lost about 4 bristles throughout the whole ordeal. Seems like it is slowly slowing down in the shed. I'm really glad, as I really loved this brush. Not sure what else will give me the same feel. Okay, please do not suggest, as I don't want my SBAD to kick in.

Soap report. Some might stone me for this, I reckon the SV performs better than MdC. Took me a lot of courage to say it, as MdC was the first high end soap I tried. Don't get me wrong, I still think that Mdc is a good soap, but it's just not as slick and protective as the SV. Anyone else think so? Or maybe I haven't hit the sweet water-soap ratio spot for the MdC yet as I had it for a week only. I'll report back in a couple weeks time on this. But MdC's scent is the winner, I love the fougere.

Needless to say, tonight's shave was ichiban.

Status
Not open for further replies.