Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Russian vacation continues. After I have made all my Ebay purchases for Russian razors, you guys should look for one. :) I will let you know when :) They look rubbish, they initially feel about the same but the shave is so good. They actually look a bit like a second class addition to a poor country agricultural show, show bag. I got this one as an experiment and have another two coming. They seem to hone very easily. They shave so smoothly. There really is nothing second class about the end result.

Pre wash then lather and rub that into my beard by finger tips. Towel that off and wet face again then lather with scuttle made lather on Chinese horse hair brush.

2 passes DFS and the story continues tomorrow night, but which country will the razor come from?

img_2780.jpg

Vitos Preshave
Thater 4125/1 2 band fan
Beaver Woodwright - Black Beard
One Blade Razor
Despined Gem (1)
PAA Miami Libre aftershave

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

The forgotten cousin of the Ogallala range the Bay Rum and Sandalwood really is nice and just as enjoyable in post shave feel as the Limes and Peppercorns.

Ogallala Bay Rums must really be the best there are in terms of face feel after application.

My Russian vacation continues. After I have made all my Ebay purchases for Russian razors, you guys should look for one. :) I will let you know when :) They look rubbish, they initially feel about the same but the shave is so good. They actually look a bit like a second class addition to a poor country agricultural show, show bag. I got this one as an experiment and have another two coming. They seem to hone very easily. They shave so smoothly. There really is nothing second class about the end result.

Pre wash then lather and rub that into my beard by finger tips. Towel that off and wet face again then lather with scuttle made lather on Chinese horse hair brush.

2 passes DFS and the story continues tomorrow night, but which country will the razor come from?

Photo!?

Razor details please. I'm not aware of any Russian brands.

20160503_073650 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Standard
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Mystic Water Teakwood and Cardamom
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel and Razorock Lime Balm
Three pass shave. A little off with technique today and the result is a small nick under the nose, a reminder to pay attention. Other than that a smooth and lovely shave.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON....

fV0vthkz_a9Kp0sdWJkd-02rA970JMLBf6z2OqW152j4mUPfKbIU7B8uKqN4WI-fntZyLRafvr7JJwLz5N_ZKLpKgmdFzQylxH6ZA3Tzjmaq62hARAYDi4vl51U0Ux3wT3YJOqrlNhm77xmAZYLShNr1H1HDIWU8Val3Nj-3ws2fd-RRtPzlp84z9IU3wQMEi4xRPe745cZHAuyAmnoSHbtLEsPEkJQjZh-pjvvvgS_B1BFpOOSlekYyZg_Mh5Yc2fHtS5vi7ZJpU-qShjToQ0Jpzi6iw3MYxh3LXsNxbCtPZoCMFKoPymZ-jnn0oWR85moeVZlHbziQ5U0PWJmKXYxLk2zniGkDCD6wGr6iof7X9AM6csxlMUip9bX77SDpNbebvxZQf0S5WuuMa9uQ1Z8R8ZzpWN7v8KiFBbt1U5JpcwC6UOZF9g4_TafZeAlyEw9ccyW49F9WfOenE5ELtc6gm-_AiL6DTNO8VrGFxHZ8NE7gO_7yhLSHb0r67QMfGhY3gHt4tQiSoaO7Mc_8XFm5IN-YYBiBOHHxelUun8l2mtRwiHIWOxohPfAC-6Pr5gXZ=w508-h347-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Simpson's Wee Scot
Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Fine Superlite Slant
Blade : Feather [2]
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Hanae Mori - Him

Well the big news from this mornings shave is that the Fine Superlite Slant managed to coax a third good shave from the Feather blade. Not quite as good as shaves #1 and #2, but still perfectly acceptable. A good effort I think - most razors won't stretch a feather blade beyond 3 really good shaves.

Well, yet another fantastic shave from the Fine Superlite Slant. This little beastie has impressed the daylights out of me me and @Lifes a Peach, and deservedly so : it does what it's supposed to do, and does it brilliantly. It's deadly capable, but still full of fun.

The only surprise about the razor is that it seems to have attracted relatively little interest here at P&C.

Great start to the month - I hope that the rest are as good. The razor will also stay the same and the type of blade will be locked in too. Brushes will be my standard seven day rotation with the aftershave being the only variable.

@Mark1966 - this is sounding like the hairy-chested Paste'n'Cut from a few years back. We've all heard the litany - One Razor, One Blade, One Brush, One Soap. Just when it seemed safe, one of our more esteemed members decides to become a Doppelganger of Drubbing. Does that make him a Drubbleganger?

********************************************************************************************************************
Photo!?

Razor details please. I'm not aware of any Russian brands.

+1 !!! Baldy, your SOTD's are always worth checking out, but sadly let down at times by lack of pictures and/or detailed info about the interesting items you use. How about climbing up on that podium and cutting loose with stimulation for multiple senses? Your audience will love you even more, and probably prostrate themselves from devotion.....

Last edited:
SUNDAY AFTERNOON....

Well, yet another fantastic shave from the Fine Superlite Slant. This little beastie has impressed the daylights out of me me and @Lifes a Peach, and deservedly so : it does what it's supposed to do, and does it brilliantly. It's deadly capable, but still full of fun.

The only surprise about the razor is that it seems to have attracted relatively little interest here at P&C.

Well, I am anxiously waiting for mine to arrive.......

Way to go, @DrBob - I for one will be waiting for your SOTDs after it arrives. And good luck : I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I've been of late :)

Thanks! Given that I have committed to May Madness (or is that BEEN committed...?) a new razor will be just the thing. Also arriving this month (hopefully) are an Ikon Open Combe Deluxe and a Feather AS-D2. So I will be spoilt for choice.

Lovely shave.
(Nice selfie too! [emoji6])

I've got a few slants so not adding to the number just yet. Perhaps in time, and perhaps if TSW adds it to their lineup (which could happen in time).

There's a LOT of razors coming out and already around so we can't get them all. Best be selective. [emoji6]

Vitos Preshave
Thater 4125/1 2 band fan
Beaver Woodwright - Black Beard
One Blade Razor
Despined Gem (1)
PAA Miami Libre aftershave
Nice shave!
So what's the "One Blade" razor like? (Besides the ridiculous name of course...)
Did you have to take out the spine of the GEM (!) or did you buy them that way?

Nice shave!
So what's the "One Blade" razor like? (Besides the ridiculous name of course...)
Did you have to take out the spine of the GEM (!) or did you buy them that way?

I've used it twice so far and it seems good. Once with a feather blade which seemed to die off before I finished the last pass, and once with the despined gem. It's a passaround razor so I think someone despined a pack of gem blades for it.

It gives a close shave but I does feel a bit soulless like a cartridge razor.

It gives a close shave but I does feel a bit soulless like a cartridge razor.
Interesting. Why do you say this?
(I've been using an injector razor which is similar WRT it being a single blade with simple technique of holding the handle closer to the face. It's light and hard to clean, but it's convenient and quick. I would have thought the solid stainless steel nature of the One Blade razor to have a bit more going for it. Can you put your finger on the "soulless" aspect?)

Interesting. Why do you say this?
(I've been using an injector razor which is similar WRT it being a single blade with simple technique of holding the handle closer to the face. It's light and hard to clean, but it's convenient and quick. I would have thought the solid stainless steel nature of the One Blade razor to have a bit more going for it. Can you put your finger on the "soulless" aspect?)

I'm not sure. I think it's the pivoting head that's takes some of the work away which makes it that way. I sometimes feel this with injectors too.

20160503_SOTDSRain_zpsphzc5x1a.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: FINE Slant - kindly loaned by @boldsworth
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Lather: Mystic Water
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

First shave with the FIne slant today - boy is it light! Especially coming from a 100g+ razor - boy is it light! Very agile though and VERY effective. Had a really close shave today, but the razor did bite a bit. Let's see if we can get it under control.

The Mystic Water MAYdness lather was truly exceptional - picture in the lather section. What a great soap it is and the post shave is phenomenal!

New arrival today to add to the Russian "mob" This one is a Vostock NOS manufactured in 1975. 5/8" blade and took a wonderful edge on the Tojiro to set the bevel. 3k and 8k to smooth out the 1k then on to the Jnat with 3 grades of Nagura and a final 50 laps on water. Comfortably waiting in the scuttle is the $16 Chinese horse.

165513.jpg

I have another Russian on the way but "Igor" the seller informs me Russian post is on holidays "for awhile :) "

170007.jpg

Great shave.

Ir0qwSm.png

Brush: Romera Manchurian
Soap: Speick
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Timor Solingen (10)
After: Thayers & Proraso

One of those shaves where all planets aligned. Nice lather, a stupendous shave and it was a 10x used blade!!!
The Merkur and Timor are a perfect match for my face. The 34C goes to the top of the list for this blade,
Superbly smooth and superbly close. No signs of the blade giving up yet.
Nicely finished off with the much underrated Proraso.​

Status
Not open for further replies.