Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arctic mango
Semogue 620
Gillette New LC
Borked's vintage Schick blade
Antisol

Glad the soap is so good. The blade has been in the LC for who knows how long I can't remember when I last changed the blade but I mostly use straights. Still - maybe there's something to be said for vintage!

Wednesday 4 May 2016

235983d1462367999-sun-may-01st-sat-may-07th-sotd-04052016.jpg

Roberto's Robinia - Black Locust Brush

I recently received a nice gift from a member of Mastro Livi Club of Google Plus and the very appreciated gift was a lovely shaving brush he made for me by hand. Roberto - this is the name of the maker - made the handle with Robinia (Black Locust) wood and the loft of the brush is wild badger. The grip is really comfortable and the wild badger loft offers a good performance also thanks to the backbone of the hair. As for the razor, this time I used this gorgeous Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus "100 Layers" with a twisted pattern and an incredible extra full hollow grinding, of course completely handmade by Mastro Livi and just by using his well known wheel grinders. Super smooth and close shave, not to mention a blade capable of singing like a tenor while graciously and smoothly gliding over the skin like a velvety feather with a super keen and cutting edge.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Roberto's Brush, Wild Badger, Robinia - Black Locust Handle, 24mm Knot
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus "100 Layers", 13/16 Extra Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: AoS Sandalwood Aftershave Gel

I remember growing up that sandalwood was an odd fragrance on those incense sticks sold by that funny little shop on the outside of the shopping mall. It also sold beads, tie dyed dresses and some 'Turkish water pipe' contraptions I could never understand. Seems to be EVERYWHERE nowadays in comparison...

20160505_075438 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Mystic Water Teakwood and Cardamom
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX balm and Old Spice AS
Three pass shave. Very smooth and irritation free face. The Mystic Water is a superb performing soap in all respects, from the lather it produces to the post shave.

Beautiful Romera BTW - what a shame he is so...not easy to work with ;)

"so...not easy to work with" - that's putting it mildly @alfredus... I don't think the words "Romera" and "work" belong in the same sentence. He tried to have me believe that Tung Oil takes 6-8 weeks to dry in the hot Spanish Summer :ROFLMAO: And that's for a brush marked as "In Stock" on his website :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Anyway, the first and only time I've ever had to complain to Paypal about a seller involved the illustrious Senor Romera, who managed to take well over 3 months to ship an "In Stock" brush :(

Soap: Eufros Gea (by Jabonman and huge thanks to @filobiblic for the sample)
Blade: Bolzano (1/2) and Permasharp (1)
Razor: #102 iKon
Brush: Shavemac Custom

After reading reports of the Gea on other forums, I have been dying to give it a go (and kicking myself that I didn't get any). Reports have been that it smells like Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male, which I still love (even though probably a bit old for now lol). Did it live up to the hype?

Yes... and not the new formulation. We're talking pre-lavender and vanilla increase, old school formulation here where it was a little more spicy. Performance is the same as the other soaps I've tried, top notch and certainly in my top 5, if not 3. I will be ordering this in the soap and balm, and considering ordering 2 x balms, as they're just that good (and this scent could combine well with barbershop scents, old spice variants such as soap commander endurance and stirling spice and any powdery, lavender/orange/vanilla based scent.

Bolzano however did not agree with either the #102 or my skin, and was tugging. I didn't want it to impact the experience of the GEA, so I switched out to a permasharp half way through second pass. Finished with the much loved myrsol and JPG.

NSoRcvdEsMtGkE15uwglGmtzdI8_bd2bn9glBWboC0VkLyPNd2OMPeHdxDbFTXwvlm58H4NFuVtramclFkoZQUrlJEyAJGX-tuGl0nouAULD4vgZaLv3HnEMynayLcmUT7OzFlIXfeOc3BUVCqwdiDIWw5WkhlXTyyoo8eZ5vE5sW0gxC3qS2Si6WbE6CslPKPvMq_3VjZu15mhAvsR-kOFCI9bkm0EgkCeY4aHiIR551reJJP_qqosrNkletgTHrIurmBX0VARJzI3U3refbJelDOlGux2iayWgFEVyzHyPw8KIJi9XTeaFBbLTRWxO4LpKDsBtxJ9C8Jnu7BB8mq3uFz9W2z8BGX4HzHgAMsylTNwYPgZUPt9y4f28jihJQqr9VvgHSBCjk4tIjJgdwU-FcE5tEXHe4tYMoVvJABb5XR59S4eEQCnM3EKMJlCQd8OWx_-SZCDKAYxdXpWDPh4PaLt6X-I2l6hF9ssd_B5QpH02FlEEaRjBUC_Aw5-Hb4-sAN8jNCqEj6NkmIZ_HE1DsH4JHFM5yNjTd9A8EYTx44ROmjXNeTqNHY-a9Cm2ux-V=w1000-h750-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Crown King Switchback 400
Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Hikari Kamisori
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Floid Vigoroso

A simple shave today, with the exception of the new scuttle. I have memories of last winter, and the promise I made - to have a more comfortable time this winter :) Oh wow, it is wonderful having warm lather available for passes 2 and 3 : pure luxury :) For anyone interested, I bought it from Crown King shaving in Arizona for a mere $26.95 US. It looks a lot like the Georgetown Pottery Scuttle, except that the price is less than half that of the Georgetown scuttle:eek: The Hikari Kamisori is a real little sportster as @khun_diddy will attest, being a fellow Hikari owner.

All in all, a really enjoyable shave :)

m0r92riHUJywTevTLsWnuhrvv9HjZFAA5gZ8VIudmoBIaox2qkuucdrE92QQD5M8QVQ6yTi9PM7e0CwLLzUo2853eqqy-K7uId9VLmNKnJm-D2IJFHwKHrWwe74YIGj3Ao3-UrL7P41V_hlrRRznwRmRlFTD1qNIbNzopaGMU4kKVR7pME2u3M-V-YpGuEDsMWq5uykRoGIyTMBTmb6hmLXBpS2EvNtdmBWQDDT1Rbf98TWjfMxmSU9GF1znS5YM7x8DQtX12KARVb-x3cI6ITroA6SGJKA308ridSni6h3GRZDfyu7raQlHxxJjFHuSictiYil_-MPaMU2_m4DIPB3h-_NLmct-wnSkWG9NmUv10LAPnKVVZUxY73hBQwevSMelcF8z3DUkvV6uRa2K7Z5CPpCpNPnSyNQg6BT_CbCTM4J_JGtJ_I9CVYyjEwO44Ydup9xUh68lgYKAfLHj6DJm-Enj0wlB9jBAVzKRQuJxt6iodZMXrmlggo-saa7ylRvb2lkUjOPH3cIjC0i86levTqd62TLWQQEy7mLO0n6WmS9-mvYRzOcWJtg_1WFFYZCD=w929-h869-no

Wednesday Afternoon....

Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Gloria "Smiling" Straight
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Hanae Mori - Him

After a few really fun days exploring the capabilities of the super little Fine Slant, it felt like time to reconnect with my straights and Kamisoris again. It didn't take long to select one of my favourites, the Gloria Curved or "Smiling" straight. I pulled out my brand new Crown King Switchback 400 and conjured up a wonderful face lather from the Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. The shave was really great and captured all of the "feel" I love from a good straight shave. Finishing off with Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man AS not only felt good, but provided a really nice continuity of fragrance.

PS : Forgot to press the "Post Reply" button hours ago, so this is more than a little late.

NSoRcvdEsMtGkE15uwglGmtzdI8_bd2bn9glBWboC0VkLyPNd2OMPeHdxDbFTXwvlm58H4NFuVtramclFkoZQUrlJEyAJGX-tuGl0nouAULD4vgZaLv3HnEMynayLcmUT7OzFlIXfeOc3BUVCqwdiDIWw5WkhlXTyyoo8eZ5vE5sW0gxC3qS2Si6WbE6CslPKPvMq_3VjZu15mhAvsR-kOFCI9bkm0EgkCeY4aHiIR551reJJP_qqosrNkletgTHrIurmBX0VARJzI3U3refbJelDOlGux2iayWgFEVyzHyPw8KIJi9XTeaFBbLTRWxO4LpKDsBtxJ9C8Jnu7BB8mq3uFz9W2z8BGX4HzHgAMsylTNwYPgZUPt9y4f28jihJQqr9VvgHSBCjk4tIjJgdwU-FcE5tEXHe4tYMoVvJABb5XR59S4eEQCnM3EKMJlCQd8OWx_-SZCDKAYxdXpWDPh4PaLt6X-I2l6hF9ssd_B5QpH02FlEEaRjBUC_Aw5-Hb4-sAN8jNCqEj6NkmIZ_HE1DsH4JHFM5yNjTd9A8EYTx44ROmjXNeTqNHY-a9Cm2ux-V=w1000-h750-no

Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Hikari Kamisori
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Floid Vigoroso

A simple shave today, with the exception of the new scuttle. I have memories of last winter, and the promise I made - to have a more comfortable time this winter :) Oh wow, it is wonderful having warm lather available for passes 2 and 3 : pure luxury :) For anyone interested, I bought it from Crown King shaving in Arizona for a mere $26.95 US. It looks a lot like the Georgetown Pottery Scuttle, except that the price is less than half that of the Georgetown scuttle:eek: The Hikari Kamisori is a real little sportster as @khun_diddy will attest, being a fellow Hikari owner.

All in all, a really enjoyable shave :)
You managed to post 2 SOTD's since I last logged in @Draco Noir !

Love the handle of that Crown King brush - have you tried it on your lemons by any chance? Always wondered, if it could be a good lemon press :D

And the Kami in the second one is pure class - beautiful!

20160505SOTDSGraphNov_zpsbkpdr4kz.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: FINE Slant (kindly on loan from @boldsworth)
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-band
Lather: Mystic Water
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Today I destroyed my first brush handle - dropped the Epsilon on some outdoor tiles and even in that picture you might notice the crack - I was furious at myself...But then I remembered, that as much as I absolutely adore this knot, it is the least favourite handle of mine...and there is one brush maker I still miss in the den I really would like to try out - so it seems like the shave Gods just gave me a nudge in the right direction and now I am actually excited about my future new brush with my lovely Epsilon knot :D

The FINE is still very light - nothing has changed in that department. Today's shave was an improvement, since it only bit me once - but it still bit me. Not sure if the two of us are going to be close friends - but I will give it some more time.

The lather - well judge for yourself in the lather section :cool:

All in all a super close shave with an out of this world post shave feel - what word am looking for - you know rubbing your silky smooth face all day long :whistle:

wg04ezel.jpg

Brush: Simpsons M7
Razor: Monarch
Blade: English Wilky
Soap: Jabonman Haitian Vetiver
A/S: Fine Clean Vetiver

A truly excellent shave today, mostly thanks to the Monarch razor recently acquired from @FatBoy58. A truly gorgeous razor, it performs as well as it looks although requires care as it's certainly more aggressive than I'm used to but still gave an effortless three pass BBS.

You managed to post 2 SOTD's since I last logged in @Draco Noir !
Love the handle of that Crown King brush - have you tried it on your lemons by any chance? Always wondered, if it could be a good lemon press :D
And the Kami in the second one is pure class - beautiful!

Yesterday's SOTD was posted very late - I forgot to press the submit button.... (duh)

Yes! It reminds me of one of those designer lemon squeezers too. Never could afford one, though...

Yes, it's a clean and attractive Kami. @khun_diddy can show you one close up (y)

As far as the Fine Slant goes, I think you will make friends with it - in 2 shaves you have made a large reduction in the injury rate. Next shave should see zero problems :)

I'm never going to get to use one as I don't see myself ever getting into straight shaving, but man the simplicity and elegance of a nice kamisori puts all the engineering of mach 72s etc to shame. I almost wish I could be arsed to learn, but then I hear kami's are a step further up the education system.
I'm happy with my bachelors degree ( DE) I just can't see myself going for a masters (straight) or a PhD (kamisori).

Fifth day of May madness and I've learnt a number of things.

1. Da Fat is a wonderful soap. Well I already knew that but it's nice to be reminded

2. I suck at bowl lathering!
Yesterday and today I decided to forgo the regular face lathering that I've been doing for the past 5 or 6 months and go back to the bowl cause vthe SOC was too floppy. Ended up with a shed-load of lather but it was too airy and had no cushion.

Moved to my synth today but still couldn't get a decent lather, so I washed it down the sink and reloaded and face lathered - back to MWF bliss.

Happy shaving

Last edited by a moderator:
Fifth day of May madness and I've learnt a number of things.

1. Da Fat is a wonderful soap. Well I already knew that but it's nice to be reminded

2. I suck at bowl lathering!
Yesterday and today I decided to forgo the regular face lathering that I've been doing for the past 5 or 6 months and go back to the bowl cause vthe SOC was too floppy. Ended up with a shed-load of lather but it was too airy and had no cushion.

Moved to my synth today but still couldn't get a decent lather, so I washed it down the sink and reloaded and face lathered - back to MWF bliss.

Happy shaving
Good to know that I am not alone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shave tonight, if fact more than good - excellent. Recently I purchased from the big auction site 3 - 24mm Boar knots in case on the off chance I got the bug to make a brush. Yesterday the bug bit and I sacrificed one of the knots for a proof of concept brush that was glued and set over night. I washed and lathered the brush a few times and have to admit I thought the knot was a bit like a very stiff broom or paint brush. By this afternoon the knot was beginning to soften just a little and by this evening it was ready to use. What a stunning brush, tons of backbone yet not rough on your face. Creates and holds plenty of lather.

Pre wash then apply first layer of lather and rub in with finger tips. Wipe off and then apply pre made scuttle manufactured lather ready for shave.
Introduce the Vostock carefully to the skin and enjoy a very satisfying 2 pass DFS.

Home honed razor, home made soap and home made brush.
The highlight was the excellent 24 mm Boar brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.