Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
His generosity is amazing :)

Tonight's shave was a bit special. @Draco Noir sent me a folding Kamisori and it is beautiful. Wonderful small blade and Draco honed it beautifully, smooth and sharp.

@alfredus played the role of postie and made the hand over today at our get together. I couldn't stay long today for personal reasons but there was the usual amount of show and tell and great conversation. @khun_diddy showcased the progress of his Olive oil soap and I passed over some samples of SH Drogon Noir. What a day and to just top it off with a great shave,

Pre wash then lather and rub it into the beard with my fingers. Wash that off and relather from my scuttle with my new favourite [this week] my Chinese horse brush.
2 passes and DFS.

Top day, top shave.

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: SOC
Soap: MdC
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: Voskhod

First two passes with the Mdc was stellar. But towards the third, lather seems a little thin, not as thick and protective as the first two. I find it a little harder to get the slick wet but thick dense lather at that point. Need some more time to dial in and learn more about the soap's characteristics. Maybe I need to load it longer, like how I load my SV.

Regardless, still achieved a damn fine shave with today's line up of gears so I am happy with that. Happy Sunday every one.

Sunday 1 May 2016

235801d1462104360-sun-may-01st-sat-may-07th-sotd-01052016.jpg

Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch

Let's start this new month the right way! And, for me, starting the right way means having a luxurious shave, at least for the straighr razor. I in fact used my Mastro Livi CarboInox with lovely and awesome colors, adding impeccable class to my shave. The colors of this razor's blade makes me think about the sea: the blue twisted damascus steel makes me think about wavy waters, while the golden colored stainless steel looks like the sand of the beach. Pure art, pure beauty, pure luxurious and super smooth shave, genuine Italian craftsmanship and art. Not to mention the scales made of this stunning cocobolo wood with two colors. Yes, the month has started the right way.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tabac Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger, Padouk Handle, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

On Monday early morning shave:-
Brush: Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood
Razor: Razorock Mission
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Soap/Cream: Haslinger Sheeps Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
Post/After Shave: Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fragrance: L'Occitane Baux

TIlj7ug.jpg

Soap: Cella (in Old Spice mug)
Brush: Polo
Razor: Durham Duplex (2nd pass Feather AS-D1)
Blade: Durham Duplex (2nd pass Feather)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Tonight i really wanted to try a razor that i had not used before. First choice was a Segal, however the only blades i had were rusty. Second choice was the Durham Duplex Safety Razor. Popped in a NOS blade and lathered up some good ol' Cella.
The razor looks a bit like a garden rake and is probably just as effective as a shaver. From the beginning it pulled and tugged, taking ages to find the correct angle. When i found the very small sweet spot the razor worked quite well but i could not find it enough. I was determined to finish one pass at least and got there eventually. With a lot more use i'm sure the performance would improve but that ain't gonna happen haha.
The Feather/Feather combo saved the night and made me realise what a long way we have come. Finished off with a generous splash of Clubman which remains an all time favourite.

Razor: EJ DE86
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: Proraso Green (May Madness)
After: TN Dickinson WH with AloeVera

Another DFS tonight with the Gillette SS - although it nipped me a couple of times during the shave. Didn't feel it, just saw the spots well up. Stopped without intervention, so pretty minor :)

Merkur 34C
Simpson Duke 3 Best
Feather
Dr Jon's Anne Bonny Soap
Dr Jon's Anne Bonny Aftershave

The last two shaves have just further reinforced my belief that a great lather will make up for a lot of other short comings in a shave.

I have been so used to feeling the burn of the aftershave that when I was putting it on today I was once again bracing myself. Yet, there was no burning sensation, simply the enjoyment of the scent & cooling of the menthol.

The difference between this time & all the others? I had a great lather throughout the whole shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
VuVZJCf.png

#MayMadness

Brush:
@shavetheman Savile Row LE
Soap: Speick
Razor: Gillette NEW SC
Blade: Timor Solingen (9)
After: Thayers and Myrsol Blue

Back to my longevity test of the Timor blade after a brief trial of @Draco Noir 's Fine Slant. The blade is still chugging through my stubble.

First day of May Madness. Speick was my choice because it's my preferred scent of all of my shave sticks but the one that gives me the most lathering grief. Speick loves a lot of water but I never seem to give it enough. The lather was on the dry side on the first pass. Drenched the brush on the second pass and was rewarded with a much better result. By the time 31 May comes around I should be a Speick expert.

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (2)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat 'o' Nine Tails

So nice to be getting back to decent shaves after the carts for three weeks.

20160502_080938 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
MayMadness
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Standard
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Mystic Water Teakwood and Cardamom
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel and Loccitane BAVX balm
Three pass shave and an excellent one in fact. Smooth face and no irritation, what more could one ask? Enjoy the strong scent of the Mystic Water and the Loccitane BAVX compliments it quite well.

Razor: Rockwell 6S (2)
Blade: Voskhod (3)
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Shaver Heaven Peppermint Plus
After: Alum, Myrsol formula "C"

The number 2 plate I think is about as low as I will be able to handle. A nice 3 pass shave with a little clean up under the neck. Ended with a satisfactory shave. Nice to go back to the shaver heaven after trying a few new things since the Melbourne meet up. Let's see I'd I can last the whole month!

Soap: Shaver Heaven Barbershop
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Straight: George Butler 6/8

Soap as always performed well, Top lather again today, perhaps a little more moisture today than usual, but this added to the quality of thickness of lather and performance of slickness/glide. After refreshing the George Butler a couple of days ago, the resultant shave was close and smooth with no nicks. A 1.00pm shave; great way to spend a Queensland Public Holiday.

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Reef Point Dragon's Blood
Razor: Schick Injector (G-type)
Blade: Personna
After-shave: Old Spice (Indian)

Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: MdC
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: voskhod

Left my face a little tender today. I wonder if it's because the blade is starting to dull, or my technique is not up to standard to wield the iKon yet. I'll change a fresh blade tomorrow and see how we go. Still searching for the right blade for the OSS. To find that same sort of feel I get when I pair the 34c with a feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.