Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab' Blue (?)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: CRSW Fourgere Moderne
Aftershave: Mysol Formula K

Ahhh, this is the shave I've been waiting for. The choice offered by the second drawer of soaps - the CRSW delivering on its promise.

The wide range of options delivered by the third drawer - the first Myrsol I grabbed being a delight.

This May thing really is madness ...

Pre: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Razor: iKon DLC Slant
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2/ Semogue 610
Soap: Martin de Candre
Aftershave: Mysol Agua Balsamica

Love the MdC, although the Commodore needs more time to break in so only got 2 passes with it. I possibly loaded it with too dry a brush. For the third pass I used the Semogue which I was soaking to further break in. 3 swirls and the lather exploded on my face. :love:

No pics today as my wife is starting to wonder why I take my camera into the bathroom.

wvIWU6Hips4nfb6NQKwt1VqRZWA7RzJeYB765KxJmq2j7z0qe_W_cm6KNcixZSLxwONL_zXPdcZDpdm_4RNkyx1BUrzMFnCbbidYWPyo7cD_2VIcpebx3-lO2IqvMFmdR1p3OEDb79fTLH50dVHI5aLKnPRc3e1xJrO57crIFIC3no_ywaaqmnJeqHW4Czk6LnRTbYiE7HyUT5egYfBUy_lO14d_AERV0NDxihl7sgpvU2aXH8P8GZ7oesOu1IBleonXmMbeEK7Z7GWrplXI4ibBA0d3RF6lNpCf8QZ7M-Ya7t0NyN794mAP5A5NoDdWwW6AwbUqRGcGo2NEHYtLbWEuOvkgfeWS5_PQV4aM2-hborcCrPf-YzTk3LX0Rkij0QPrVxECCLntjlSmQBnKOOVZPAi8zK8u0Zwpjwi-Mg84ZWidPXTZ_a8KMR5fKgyKcrWehxCPpRY7xv1fVPjqY8O90MQufpr12cJ1fDRUGYWwR0TyvxdBGL0m-5N5d7IuwUpw6Z7Hcz9rY1_oYkYbU732KXJ1Oxb-gEhP9UkYDNOE-EZz0gD2lkdes46AXTuP2R35=w383-h287-no

Face Wash : Shower, Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Simpson's Commodore X1
Soap : I Coloniali
Razor : Fine Superlite Slant
Blade : Feather [0]
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Hanae Mori Him

Bounced out of bed with something resembling enthusiasm this morning - my good friend @Lifes a Peach returned the "Toy Plastic Razor" yesterday, and I'm keen to continue exploring the little beast. I swapped the ever reliable Myrsol Emulsion back into the prep lineup, and basked in the menthol warmth it created while I prepared the lather. I decided to run with the I Coloniali again, and get the right technique really burned into memory. It worked like a charm again today - I quickly ended up with enough perfect lather to see 3 generous passes taken care of.

Sidenote : if anyone is struggling with lathering issues, like a particular soap that won't cooperate, call out to @alfredus or @Lifes a Peach. We're lucky to have a couple of seriously knowledgeable lathermeisters, and they are both delighted to help if you have problems (y) ;)

With some anticipation I picked up the Fine Slant, and loaded it with a new Feather blade. And then the shave played out exactly like the other day - smooth but very efficient, nice level of acoustic feedback, and the feeling that no sensible manoeuvre is going to be a problem. 2 passes to got me to near BBS, and a little bit of buffing and spot control finished another near perfect shave. Finished with the now standard Alum plus Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, then tried a new AS I just acquired : Him by Hanae Mori. I ordered it online after reading a lot of positive feedback about it. For me, the feedback is justified - it has a very pleasant fragrance and fairly good lasting power. At US$50 it isn't dirt cheap, but it's excellent value for money.

The "Toy Plastic Razor" has proved to me that it was no fluke first time round - it really is a little wizard, and fun to use :p

Brush: Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood
Razor: Razorock Mission
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Soap/Cream: Tabac Soap
Post/After Shave: Alum Block / T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Time: Who cares I'm enjoying myself wet shaving, love making a bloody mess and clean up after I'm done.

My review on the Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/com...ers-club-2-band-badger-brush.2547/#post-64460

Last edited:
Is the soap really made with donkey milk?! [emoji47]

Yep, this soap contains 30% donkey's milk from this gorgeous farm in France. There's a 45% version as well.

How is the Shavemac D01 3 band? I have a hankering for one of those. Does it have enough backbone for face lathering? What are its dimensions? Any info greatly appreciated.

The brush is made for face lathering. 21mm knot, 50mm loft. Perfect backbone and silky soft tips once broken in properly. I try to refrain from pumping up shaving products because of the subjective aspect but this is one awesome brush.

Refreshed my stable of straights this morning through the 1,000, 3,000 and 8,000 progression,mowed the yard and then shaved around 11.30am, selecting a Dovo Inox 5/8 with "Pearlex" scales for the shave.

Soap: Shaver Heaven Vetiver & Neroli (blue tub)
Brush: Simpsons Berkeley badger
Face lather
Straight: Dovo Inox 5/8

I really enjoy Saturday shaves. I get around to shaving mid-morning to mid-afternoon, lots of light in the bathroom, I've had 6-8 espressos by then and I'm not pushing myself to get to work. As I'm getting older I'm finding my brain takes longer to "unfog" these day.

Soap and Berkeley lathered up a storm, retaining moisture until the end of each pass.

Even though the razor is sharp, I believe it could be "smoother"/feel cleaner. Perhaps if I get a 12,000 hone to finish on or maybe just some CrOx on the back of the strop? Or it could be my imagination? Razor may just need further laps through the progression? It was a good shave and maybe I'm getting too pedantic in my aging process (Mum always says I carry on like a grumpy ol' man).

Even though the razor is sharp, I believe it could be "smoother"/feel cleaner. Perhaps if I get a 12,000 hone to finish on or maybe just some CrOx on the back of the strop? Or it could be my imagination? Razor may just need further laps through the progression? It was a good shave and maybe I'm getting too pedantic in my aging process (Mum always says I carry on like a grumpy ol' man).

Dale, your description of sharp but not smooth is almost exactly what I'd expect straight off an 8000 grit synthetic stone. The perfect solution is a Japanese Natural stone for refining the edge - you'll get that silky smoothness without sacrificing sharpness. Otherwise, a lot of stropping will soften the edge - say 50 laps on linen, then 100 laps on leather. It will definitely make that edge smoother, but you may lose a tiny bit of sharpness. Still well worth it to get a comfortable shave :)

p5hDtZb.jpg

Muhle R89 / Lord Classic SS
Semogue 1438
Proraso Green
National Alum (India) / Adidas Team Five AS Splash / L'Oreal Hydra Energetic ASB​

The Semogue 1438 is another new addition to the family - and once again, I've fallen for her due to the gorgeous looking handle. I used it for the first time this afternoon and she felt great - soft, but firm. She shed a bit, but that was expected considering it was the first time. Based on my previous experience with Semogue brushes' that are not broken-in, I knew I would need to re-load if I wanted enough lather for a 3-pass shave. I loaded her for at least 2 minutes initially, which gave me plenty of lather for 2 passes and then re-loaded again for about 30 seconds, which surprisingly gave me enough lather for 4 passes. I think I'm going to like this brush. I rarely do 4 pass shaves (plus touch-ups), but in this case, I had plenty of lather so I kept on going. This resulted in a very close shave, but still very comfortable with no irritation. Some credit must go to the Lord blade, which has exceeded my expectations - Its forgiving, smooth & sharp enough for me.

Happy Shaving Everyone !!

Brush: Simpsons Duke D2 pure
Razor: Rockwell 6S (1/3)
Blade: Voskhod (4)
Soap: EJ aloe vera sample
After: Alum, Myrsol formula "C"

First time out with the Rockwell. Firstly, it is pretty heavy but feels quite well balanced.
Tried the #1 plate initially, but my face felt like I hadn't even performed the first pass.
Nevermind, I just flipped the plate over in the razor and shaved the remaining passes with the #3 plate!
The #3 plate was much more efficient. The last two passes were much better. Maybe I should have put a new Voskhod in.
I ended up with a few weepers under the neck. The ATG on the neck was probably a bad idea in hindsight...
A good shave, a little irritated under the neck but not bad overall.
Looking forward to exploring the new razor over the next few weeks.
With May madness coming up, I should be able to really dial in with the soap and become well acquainted with my new friend.

Merkur 34C
Simpson Polo 8 Best
Feather
Dr Jon's Anne Bonny

Decided to try out the @alfredus method tonight as I was having some trouble getting my lathering right. Happy to say that the lather was just perfect & I'm looking forward to the May Monogamy challenge.

Just goes to show how sometimes it's good to revisit the basics & to embrace the knowledge that is shared here.

Last edited by a moderator:
For such a unassuming little straight the Russian is a real crowd pleaser.
50 laps on Pig skin [keeping the Pig still is a bit of an effort] followed by 50 laps on a Roo strop before the shave ensured a smooth, smooth blade.
Almost a 3 pass shave but not in all areas of the face. A very good result with a solid DFS.

Pre: GFT lime skin food
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: SV 70th
Razor: iKon B1 OSS
Blade: Voskhod

As usual, shavemac performed superbly. Great brush indeed. The saponificio Varesino soap provided much thick protection and slickness.

First go with the Voskhod today. It's truly a very smooth blade. It's probably one that I'd stock up on definitely. I think I'll pair it with my OSS. It's very smooth and although it left some stubborn stubbles behind, I managed to achieve a very comfortable shave with my OSS. I might try a heaver handle the next time.

Another damn fine shave achieved.

20160420_082847 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Standard
Blade: Gillette Nacet(2)
Brush: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Boar
Soap: B&M Ferox
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Blue Stratos AS
Three pass shave. The Standard grows in stature every shave. The Nacet blade was done by the end of this shave but delivered a close irritation free shave. Great to see everyone is enjoying their shaves and I can feel the enthusiasm jumping off their posts.

Blue Stratos - a classic

Yep, this soap contains 30% donkey's milk from this gorgeous farm in France. There's a 45% version as well.

The brush is made for face lathering. 21mm knot, 50mm loft. Perfect backbone and silky soft tips once broken in properly. I try to refrain from pumping up shaving products because of the subjective aspect but this is one awesome brush.
45% ass milk? I think I'll pass.

Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Wee Scot
Blade: Tanifuji 6/8 full.

#SOTD #travelshave
Wee Scot continues to impress. Scratch is just about gone leaving a nice soft knot with enough backbone. Plenty of lather for three passes plus. Arko is a great soap, works well and I enjoy the ease/simplicity of the stick and face lather. The blade - you all know how much I love this razor!! Now with my own refreshed Jnat edge even.

4657fb17cdfb3f5978bc9c456588d271.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.