Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soap: wsp formula t barbershop
Razor: Rockwell 6S #4
Blade: Permasharp (3)
Brush: shavemac custom
Post shave: Thayers, Myrsol f/extra and Ck eternity

Took the formula t out for a spin around the block this morning. Scent was MIA. Lathered up quickly, and produced a wonderful slick/thick coating. If you like a scent they do, the formula t is a wonderful lather (not quite up there with MWF, but pretty close) and I can recommend it. There are many better soaps though :)

20160429_073829 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Standard
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel and Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary AS
Three pass shave, I think. I was in a dream like state this morning and time did not seem to pass at all. Between the scent of this superb soap and the sweet caresses of the Simpson brush it was 'heavenly'. Excellent shave and definitely ready for lunch.

sq378GBewkEYQbluDF9C2MTo-lI-bola60cU_jULlnAMphV3TP8ZfH4pnYDoJq0nTKg0fmMdRKFMyZ3zdhrpl-gABmQ8h21NFOR2DOhcvXloLBrr74HoYpnGKEh4X0uAudMZEqKz1DGc_k7LaguJz145K59aG3DgXFbIQYvu7g2kg2ML4VpxwJnmBNWegb8ofD26ChLTFGevCNrJil3xadB0v4hQygme52OZm8ICFnWcpV2Na1p6IpJLA6jxpHWqmZ9IW1g53IgKOi2OkKwJolUst2Gz2btqM-7Oop8aBnXPFwVVpmynlOKkLm9tNomHJ5lDvrXD802G-VE6jV6v_Ioda5t2ew4zxw7_7o5fwCkLTHOhoM84C1k5ZKGEGjOzZCiVKdv98f7RJGOuq-z3OPJolHh_Vl2-51EGba1TCj3WXer41v3FuNqNx3zOiSzc1gdk3Wa56uRK0SbQATwoZ7MSgdXxCj2bAO_uEmSQKUZHMcFGO_SubLxCq70QY01Ik7qT1W0kVmN4bM9JcdaR5AvhoZcYJtswrFLFns0n67h0f5W-KJjKO7JYgmnv7m9keQWL=w524-h393-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Alt Innsbruck Pre-Shave Emulsion
Brush : Simpson's Commodore X1
Soap : Tim's Signature
Razor : Ikon Slant DLC
Blade : Polsilver SI [1]
After Shave : Alum, With Hazel/Aloe Vera, Agua Balsamica, Terre d'Hermes

Friday Let-down...

Things didn't start too well today - some clown was using a jackhammer out in the street, and the noise level in my inner sanctum was seriously unacceptable. In the absence of the new Fine Slant, I decided to give the Ikon Slant a trot, and to conduct an informal comparison of the two slants. Started my face prep as usual, but used the Alt Innsbruck Emulsion instead of the usual Myrsol or Razorock offerings. I finally had to admit to myself that I'm not particularly jazzed with the Alt Innsbruck product : the fragrance verges on unpleasant, nothing like the After Shave from Alt Innsbruck, it's very expensive for what it is, and its performance is average at best compared with the Myrsol or Razorock offerings. Heck, even my own home-made pre-shave oil does a better job of preparing and conditioning the skin. Verdict : not to be restocked. The Simpson's Commodore X1 did a great job of producing a beautiful lather from the Tim's Signature. The Commodore is a new addition - @Osman enabled me while they were on sale, and I weakened willingly. I'm glad I did - it's a really capable and comfortable brush, and certainly a great face latherer. The Tim's soap is also excellent - I'm now in "eking it out" mode since they closed the business a few weeks back...

Then shave time. From the get go, I was comparing the Ikon to the recent experience with the Fine Superlite Slant. While it shaved very well indeed, I found that it completely missed the "fun factor" that the Fine razor has in spades. This in turn made me realise that "Fun Factor" is indeed an attribute that razors have, and one that we shavers respond to either consciously or unconsciously. I'd be interested to hear other peoples' thoughts on this : do you favour some shavers over others simply because they're more fun to use? I checked my face after the usual 2 passes and was surprised to find that I still needed to do some more work. So I re-lathered and attended to all of the scruffy spots, but without some of the more adventurous moves I used with the Fine the other day : no buffing and very little ATG on the neck.

So finished the Friday shave - while the final result was excellent, the experience was not, and left me feeling ripped-off. The jackhammer noise may be mainly to blame, but a couple of the products disappointed too. The biggest surprise was that the Fine is most definitely a worthy match for a stainless slant at round 7 times the price. As more of our members take the plunge and get a Fine, it'll be interesting to hear what the collected wisdom of the Paste & Cut community has to say on the matter..

Hope your shaves today are a lot more satisfying than mine turned out (y) At least I'm presentable enough for Friday Lunch with a couple of other Melbourne Paste'n'Cutters.......

Sorry to hear that @Draco Noir - if it is any help, we had a burst water main infront of our house yesterday night and they finished the work at 4 am...needless to say, that the jack-hammer noise is still in my brain...and I put my shave off to the afternoon...

SOTD (29/4/16 - Canberra, Australia)

Razor:
Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Personna 'Lab' Blue (?)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" After Shave

Arrived back home this morning. After everybody else had finished their showers I had mine and my first DE shave in three weeks.

I wasn't expecting perfection, my technique was a little off and I got a couple of tiny nicks but at least a DFS even if not BBS. The Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary was not a hard choice. I walked into the bathroom and it almost leapt out at me. The scent as I lathered, the feel of the lather on the face, the glide, and softness after the blade had done it's work and the fantastic feeling post the aftershave.

Travel is great but sometimes it is good to be home...

20160429_SOTDSSepia_zpse1tw6n3a.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Kronos
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Chubby 2 Best
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

It is going to be a very hard month without Mike's - the lather is simply divine (pic in the lather section) and this is one of my all time favourite Mike's scents!

I have a new best friend - for now :). Is it wrong for a grown man to name his straight razor? Anyway my new Russian friend is the epitome of stealth, smoothness and with no indication of any bad temperament. I am adapting to the slightly smaller hand feel and actually didn't notice the scale size and position so much tonight.

The blade is 11/16th and very manoeuvrable. Now I'm not calling BBS but let's just say a dolphin would be very happy.

Sellers description "Vintage Russian Straight Razor "Экстра"("Extra") in original case. Made at the factory in Vacha, Nizhny Novgorod region in 1957. This factory founded in early 1800's and worldwide famous highest quality cold steel arms, surgical instruments, cutlery etc. The razor looks pretty good."

Indeed it is.

Chinese horse hair brush. Tangles pretty easily but a broad tooth comb is all you need.

Drogon Noir

Scuttle lathered

Glad you have such a good new friend @bald as - guess there is less pressure for me not to forget your future new best friend on Sunday :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1qVaoSJl.jpg

Brush: Simpsons M7
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: Gillette Black
Soap: Razorock Tuscan Oud
A/S: Alt Innsbruk

A nice and easy three pass shave today. The Razorock soap is a new addition to the den and performs very nicely. Very easy to load and lather and the scent has some real staying power, pairs very well with the Alt Innsbruk.

Pre:GFT lime skin food
Brush: SOC
Soap: SH Drogon Noir tallow V2
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Feather

As usual, SOC performed brilliantly. Somewhat scratchier than usual today, although I gave it a shower-long soak in a ceramic bowl. But it's lathering capabilities is top notch.

The drogon noir is a champion, so thick and luxurious. Really loving this stuff. Great scent and protection. Doesn't take long to load up and it has a very good face feel to it.

The merkur and feather is my go to. Very smooth and easy shave. Now I just need to find a blade that pairs well with my OSS and slant. Voskhod would be next candidate for the OSS shave I planned for tomorrow.

All in all, great shave tonight. I hope every one is enjoying their Friday night shaves.

Razor: EJ DE86
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: EJ Lime & Pomegranate cream
After: TN Dickinson WH with Aloe Vera

I didn't know what to expect from the Gillette SS so I approached the first pass carefully. It's smooth. Very, very smooth. Hardly any sound, just glided over the 2-day growth. Didn't feel sharp, but mowed the whiskers down. I actually checked after a few strokes as it didn't feel like it was doing anything.

Second pass I was more confident, and just got on with the shave. Could almost have stopped here. Third pass was really a cleanup run, for a DFS.

Hard to judge properly after one shave, but it's smooth and sharp. A very effortless shave. I'll be keen to see how it holds up over the next few shaves.

Hard to judge properly after one shave, but it's smooth and sharp. A very effortless shave. I'll be keen to see how it holds up over the next few shaves.
Great work. One thing to remember is that it should last you 12+ shaves (@Mark1966 @Monsta_AU concur?) so don't bin it after 3 shaves!!! [emoji33]

Status
Not open for further replies.