Status
Not open for further replies.
Todays shave brought to you by SuperMax
20150416_SOTDS_zps6y7robx0.jpg

Razor: The Wolf SB-P WRH2
Blade: SuperMax (from the box)
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap: SuperMax (from the box)
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I somehow really enjoyed today's shave, although the gear was not perfect it somehow had a very soothing effect.

The cream has a very old school scent and feel – but in a very good way. It produced a very nice and thick lather, very protective and exactly the consistency I like. It needed a bit more work than those lather exploders (like Speick), but obviously not as much as a soap. The glide was not up there with the top performers (I can only compare to Stirling soaps in this department), but was still pleasant and gave a very nice shave.

The blade is not the sharpest in town – but somehow still smooth – I don't know how this can be possible, but it was. I had to work very hard, especially during my ATG pass, but the blade got it done and it somehow didn't feel unpleasant.

Dare I say the Wolf does to blades what the Plisson does to soaps? It just brings out the best in them? I know this is a very bold statement, but I somehow feel, that some of the blades I tried in the past weeks would have given unpleasant shaves with other razors....but not with the Wolf.

The end results is a very smooth and happy face – of course the olive oil post-shave treatment plays a big role in that.

Keeping the Thater?
You know it's looking likely. Face lathering with MdC is a very different proposition than other soaps and the Thater 49125 is purpose-built for that task. A few more trials and we'll see for sure.

Is the 1305 still softer :whistle:
Yep! The 1305 is like a pillow (remember it takes about 30-50 shaves to get there). The Thater has more structure.

Try Argan oil. It smells much nicer than EVOO. The oil face massage step works a treat for moisturising the skin.
I think it's down to personal preference on the feel as the scent is transitory - again my recommendation is:
  • Cold face wash.
  • Wet hands with 2-4 drops of oil.
  • Rub oil into hands and then shaved area.
  • Let oil (and water) sit for duration of clean-up (~2-5 mins)
  • Rinse face again with cold water.
  • Apply AS lotion to clear excess oil from the surface of the skin...and lay the scent.

WCIpiOY.png

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap/Cream: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol

No str8 today as had to burst out the door. ERR was outstanding.
First use of the newly arrived Portugese soap Antiga Barbearia de Bairro. Performance was terrific; with a very high amount of glide. The downer was that the scent was very meh for me. [emoji17] I'll give it some more time, but otherwise it'll be out the door. It'd be tragic as the performance was truly excellent.

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: Aristocrat Jnr
Blade: English Gillette Platinum (1)
Cream: Occams
A/S: Myrsol Aqua Basilica + 444

Very quick and pleasant shave with the Aristocrat Jnr, great match with the Gillette Platinum. Great lather as always with Occams, shame the scent isn't too great. The Myrsol AB + 444 combo just topped off an excellent shave.

Soap: l'occitane Cade shaving soap
Brush: Ploccitane
Razor: Mühle r41 with Weber Classic handle
Blade: PolSilver SI (1)
Post-shave: L'Oreal hydra sensitive PSB

So, first ever use of the r41! I acquired the head yesterday in a trade with @nav1.

You can definitely feel the difference on your face. The blade is right there. It is very efficient, cutting through the stubble with no resistance.

Do I have a close shave? Absolutely. Do I have a comfortable shave? No. My face feels sunburnt, particularly around my hard-to-shave areas like jawline and under chin. It's very raw.

Hopefully that will improve as I improve with this thing. I can see this as an excellent first pass shaver, possibly even second pass. It's the touch ups that got me.

You can definitely feel the difference on your face. The blade is right there. It is very efficient, cutting through the stubble with no resistance.

Do I have a close shave? Absolutely. Do I have a comfortable shave? No. My face feels sunburnt, particularly around my hard-to-shave areas like jawline and under chin. It's very raw.

You put it well. The presence of the blade in an r41 is disconcerting at times. Nothing shaves as efficiently in my experience, particularly on the neck.

You've inspired me to break out my r41 for tonight's shave!

You put it well. The presence of the blade in an r41 is disconcerting at times. Nothing shaves as efficiently in my experience, particularly on the neck.

You've inspired me to break out my r41 for tonight's shave!
Just please clean up the blood before you give it to me :D

Brush: Vintage Simpson butterscotch super
Razor: Gillette Knack
Blade: English Gillette Platinum (2)
Soap: DR Harris Lavender
A/S: Le Pere Lucien

Nice shave, the Gillette Knack is completely new to me and paired with the platinum blade gives a good, smooth shave. Not much more can be said about DRH soap, great scent, great lather and very slick. The LPL A/S is just as good as the soap, great scent and face feel.

Razor: r41
Blade: Lord Super Chrome
Brush: Mühle 091 M 89
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR

There are really bad shaves and then there are revolting shaves. This was one of the latter unfortunately. The Lord blade (which I enjoy a lot in other razors) felt as though there was no edge at all on it. It was cutting hair (and flesh) but it felt as though it wasn't. It was tuggy as hell. Normally the r41 makes any blade feel sharp. I'm confused. Anyway, I reckon I have one more dodgy r41 shave in me before I unceremoniously smash it into a thousand tiny Zamak pieces.

On the plus side, I'm smooth as a baby's bum.

Anyway, I reckon I have one more dodgy r41 shave in me before I unceremoniously smash it into a thousand tiny Zamak pieces.
I, for one, absolutely hate zumak, so humbly request this slow and painful demolition is taped and broadcast

Razor: r41
Blade: Lord Super Chrome
Brush: Mühle 091 M 89
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR

There are really bad shaves and then there are revolting shaves. This was one of the latter unfortunately. The Lord blade (which I enjoy a lot in other razors) felt as though there was no edge at all on it. It was cutting hair (and flesh) but it felt as though it wasn't. It was tuggy as hell. Normally the r41 makes any blade feel sharp. I'm confused. Anyway, I reckon I have one more dodgy r41 shave in me before I unceremoniously smash it into a thousand tiny Zamak pieces.

On the plus side, I'm smooth as a baby's bum.
Not going to use those blades then...

Hope you didn't loose too much blood!

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Schick Double Edge ( Energizer)
Cream: Rose of Bulgaria (BioMed)
A.F: Nivea Original Lotion ( I like that stuff so much, For an unknown reason it bring back memories from Europe)

A classic 3 passes shave, very smooth & enjoyable :D Manliness at its finest.

Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm normal loft
Soap: Caties Bubbles Boucles Fruite (based on fruit loops)
Razor: Mule R41
Blade: Personna Blue (0)
Post-shave: Alum

After reading about the Mule R41 in everyone's else's shave of the day, I decided to use my one. I am still trying to master it. It cuts great, maybe too well as I had two small nicks under my chin on my neck area. As @stillshunter keeps saying you have to master this razor and I will keep going with it, most likely on weekends when I have more time.

The Caties Bubbles fruit loops based soap, wow. That scent brings a smile to my face. It is like fruit loops from my childhood, maybe even sweeter than I remember. Performance wise the soap is right up their with any of the soaps I have tried.

Brush: Thater #49125
Soap: Le Pere Lucien (LPL)
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (5)
Post-shave: LPL

Took stock of what stuff I still have in the bathroom - including samples - last night and I really need to do some clearing out (up to the BST soon). Then cleaning up after this morning shave I took a stock of how far I had come since my earlier days shaving. The days of using my Edwin Jagger EJ89 loaded with an IP Red to cut through my Proraso Red lather and finishing up with my Proraso Green lotion or Nivea AS balm. Today's shaves are a world away. Please don't misinterpret me as saying that I am in any way 'above' where I was, but I am certainly in a very different place and have really come to enjoy the quality and aesthetic of some top shelf wet shaving gear and goods.

Second morning in a row face lathering and I'm getting to enjoy it again. Having the right bowl moved me to lather off the face....or was it having the wrong face drove me to the bowl - who knows? I was always concerned about the small handle on the Thater, but this morning I found a grip that suited it perfectly...and oddly enough much like and improved razor grip it was a lighter one. So there's a few more trials with the Thater before (if) it returns to the BST. Sort of glad you tightarses overlooked it now...

I'm not going to dwell on the Feather. I think I am now in a position to write a full fledged review of the razor under separate cover.

LPL. Man this soap is so good. As I've said previously it ticks all the boxes of a fine lather - ease of building, consistency/viscosity, scent, glide, protection, face feel, etc., - no compromises here. Is it as good, or better than, the MdC? Well only time will tell, though I anticipate a tie at best. The lather from the MdC is extraordinary.

LPL aftershave lotion....big thanks to @Nightguard for the sample. We'd agreed that LPL married so well with Myrsol Agua Balsamica (MAB), but how about LPL with LPL? Well the scent profile is certainly cut from the same cloth. Difference I find between the LPL and MAB is that there's more of a sharp alcohol scent initially. This dissipates on the face but it still pricks the nostrils. Sits nicely after that and the lavender and rosemary really comes through. So how does it compare to the MAB? Overall I find the MAB less drying and the notes are more natural and a little less synthesised after dry-down. That's it, the MAB smells and feels a little more natural. Not talking anything away from the LPL - as it far surpasses 85% of the lotions out there - but there's little more magic hidden within the finger-folds of Myrsol's Art Deco glass.

All up a great shave...and a shame to waste it on the cows and fences today.

Brush: Restored Simmo Badger
Soap: TOBS Barber Shop I think - it's some fairly bland smelling soap crushed into an old TOBS container
Razor: R41
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock black platinum 9th shave
Post-shave: Wife's choice - Joop

Status
Not open for further replies.