Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do look fantastic. Love the simplicity. Anyhow I recognised a second word from your exotic inventory description; Wilkinson. That's two words out of two SOTD posts so far. At this rate I'll be fluent in Razorguy SOTD posts in about 8 months. Like your brushes by the way.

Thank you!

20150414_SOTDS_zpskpmtuilk.jpg

Razor: The Wolf SB-P WRH2
Blade: Big Ben (from the box)
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap (from the box)
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I am starting to like the knot of the Plisson brush more and more. The handle is still a shocker for me – really uncomfortable, but the knot...it is still such a big surprise how little product it needs to produce lather for more than 4 passes. Especially with this soap. As there is very little left and I wanted to give other participants also a chance to use it, I cut off the tiniest sliver. And yet I got tons of lather with and some change. This soap is really a lather machine...in the same department as Arko. But I have the impression it also provides a bit less glide.

The blade is another one that khun_diddy recommended, and while is is not as smooth and sharp as the Lord Super Chrome, it was still very pleasant and the result together with the Wolf was fantastic. Although I was in a hurry today, I got a silky smooth face, zero irritation and together with the Olive Oil a great post-shave feel – happy days!

Brush: Duke 2
Razor: English Tech
Blade: Polsilver (??)
Soap: Jabonmans Tierra Humeda
A/S: Myrsol Antesol

Not the best shave I've had. The Tech and Polsilver combination is not a good one.

Not the best shave I've had. The Tech and Polsilver combination is not a good one.

If the Tech is as much like the AS-D2 as some reckon then a Feather's what you need loaded.

Tried that. No better. This Tech just doesn't work for me for some reason.

That's very strange...what Tech do you use? An old brass one or the Alu version?

I had once an old English Thick Handle Tech that had a huge blade gap - could not shave with it as it would always draw blood...maybe check that? I was told you can easily modify the safety bar on the brass Techs, and people who wanted a more aggressive razor used to do that.

PolSilver SI works great in a Tech (don't listen to @stillshunter - feathers are just evil) - but maybe try a medium sharp/very smooth blade like Voskhod or my new discovery Lord Super Chrome?

(don't listen to @stillshunter - feathers are just evil)
WHA!!! Honestly Feather in the Feather (AS-D2)...I've found nothing finer!
(and many assert (vehemently) that an AS-D2 is nothing but a rip-off of a pre-war (?) Tech)

Seriously @alfredus , they don't agree with you mate? I absolutely hated my first few shaves with a Feather - in the Weber and Slim. But we first clicked in the Standard (thanks @filobiblic ) then the Rocket HD (thanks @Mark1966 ), then the SPUD (thanks @Pjotr ) then the Fatboy (thank @me) ....and the rest is history. Now I only have one blade that numbers in the hundreds....Feather!

WHA!!! Honestly Feather in the Feather (AS-D2)...I've found nothing finer!
(and many assert (vehemently) that an AS-D2 is nothing but a rip-off of a pre-war (?) Tech)

Seriously @alfredus , they don't agree with you mate? I absolutely hated my first few shaves with a Feather - in the Weber and Slim. But we first clicked in the Standard (thanks @filobiblic ) then the Rocket HD (thanks @Mark1966 ), then the SPUD (thanks @Pjotr ) then the Fatboy (thank @me) ....and the rest is history. Now I only have one blade that numbers in the hundreds....Feather!
Maybe one day I'll be there...but until now - NOPE!

Even in the RRSS they were uncomfortable (but at least very little blood) - with everything else...don't want to think about it :cry:

I will try it in the Wolf one day again - but not too soon. I have the feeling, it could take them...but let's see.

Next week I'll have a R41 to test and definitely no Feathers in that one :whistle:

Tried that. No better. This Tech just doesn't work for me for some reason.
Not tried a Tech yet but definitely will just to see whether the pundits are right (about it being the Feather template). If they are "the same", then no Feather for you!
soup-nazi.jpg

Razor: New
Blade: Derby
Brush: Mühle 091 M 89
Cream: Derby Menthol
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman

As usual, the Derby was a little scratchy for the first couple of strokes but after that it settled down and I ended up with a mighty fine shave.

The Derby cream is superb. It's not what you'd typically expect from a menthol cream. It's less cooling and more floral. Boy oh boy is it slick! Cheap as chips too.

Brush: shavemac #177
Soap: Martin De Candre 'Scented'
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: EVOO & Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Bought the MdC 'scented' just-in-case. Mighty glad I did. A scent profile not really found in all the new fangled soaps, but the traditional scents of lavender and rosemary just seem right to me in the bathroom and the Balsamic finishes it off really, really, well. I'm a very, very happy one of those people who grows hair on their face just so they can cut if off again and again and again and.....

Brush: Love Your Shave 25mm
Soap: MDC Fougere
Razor: Merkur 34Cule R41
Blade: Personna Blue(1)
Post-shave: Alum

First time with the MDC, what a great scent. I am not great describing scents but man I could smell that all day long. Performance was great.

Soap: Strop Shoppe Teakwood (thanks @nav1)
Brush: Ploccitane
Razor: Merkur Progress (3,4,4,2)
Blade: PolSilver SI (3)
Post-shave: Alum + Loreal Hydra Sensitive PSB

Good shave all around. Finally, after 2 weeks, I'm getting back into smooth shaves after a single bad one. Who knew it could take so long...

Strop shoppe lathered easily. Interesting scent. Not sure it's quite as slick as the really top shelf stuff, but I'll keep using it and see how I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.