Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the snot again this evening and had another very good shave with it. Look down on heat and pour soaps of you like but it created a perfectly good lather for me.
7 o'clock yellow might have been past it's sell by date though.

In other news, I'm getting old. Just had to yell at the neighbours to turn their movie down. Was making or windows rattle and setting the baby off each time there was a loud noise.

Sunday 28 June 2015

205235d1435492526-sun-june-28th-sat-july-04th-sotd-29062015.jpg

I am Still Testing my Shaving Soap and Liking It Very Much!

On this sunny Sunday I am still using my shaving soap and I am liking it very much. The more I use it the more it seems to turn out as a super performing shaving soap. I am very happy with my new formula and I will certainly continue testing it for a while. I am also very impressed by this Mastro Livi RWL34 straight razor. It is now three years I bought it and still having the original Mastro Livi honing: it still has a very super cutting and super sharp edge. Absolutely amazing, just another good proof of how this RWL34 stainless steel is incredibly excellent in straight razor making. And it is also the proof of how excellently good is Mastro Livi at making straight razors from this steel. By the way: the day Mastro Livi made this straight razor, I wanted to film the whole process in one of my videos and - by watching it again - I can still remember the very good memories of that incredible day: it was the very first time for me to watch Mastro Livi making a straight razor from a raw steel bar to shave test. Memorable day, unforgettable experience!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Focus 103
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

This morning's shave was brought to you by @filobiblic

Shaver Heaven, Semogue, Eclipse, PolSilver, Myrsol

Everything besides the brush and blade was from his special collection, including the newly rhodiumised eclipse. Thanks @filobiblic!

Thoroughly enjoyable shave. I do need to concentrate more with an OC - they aren't as forgiving on poor technique as the feather or tech.

No Preshave today just a thoroughly washed face.
Soap: Shaver Heaven Neroli
Razor: EdwinJagger DE89L
Blade: Personna Red
Brush: Semogue 1305
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel and Nivea Post Shave Balm.
Not a fan of the Personna blades but it did the job. The brush is excellent but this Shaver Heaven soap is a lather machine. Love these soaps.
Now ready for the day of work ahead.
20150629_081233 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Last edited:
Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet (sample)
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (1)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê-Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

I really love the scents of the Shaver Heaven soaps. The Coconut Citrus Sorbet initially smells like Malibu but once you start loading the citrus really comes through. The scent lasts all the way through the shave and when topped with the ê-Shave Orange Sandlewood AS balm made a lovely start to the day.

The La Brune WS was nice and smooth in the Super Speed - good to back to an open comb.

20150629_SOTDS_zpsub11ht7b.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Barrister & Mann Ferox
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Really grateful for the shaves I have at the moment - a calming start to otherwise crazy days...

The lather today was not as luscious as I like, but that was solely my fault, as I loaded only 5 sec...but still fantastic shave. If I had only this razor, these blades, this brush and my 3 artisan soaps (B&M, Mike's and Stirling), I could be content for...OK who are we kidding here :D :D :D

But seriously really happy with the current setup!

DlGrq2F.jpg

Brush- Whipped Dog 24mm HM on trial thanks @alfredus
Razor- Murker 25C
Blade- Murker (came with the razor)
Soap- Ferox

Thanks to alfredus for his offer to trial this brush. Seldom do you get such an opportunity. This is a fair bit of brush compared to the Case I'm used to. (24mm to 19mm) it certainly whips up enough lather for the whole family! A little scub too due to good backbone as it's set deeper into the handle. (WD gives you this option)

The Merkur razor feels light and a cheaper build quality than something like a Muhle. The shave is mild, I like the extra handle length though. The NEW feels a bit more solid built.
Thinking I might need a handle for the NEW it was cheaper to get the $20 razor in the Himage sale than a SS one from Maggards (as it turns out I didn't need a handle!)
The 25C is mild as the wiggles three passes and still no bbs!

I don't normally do this, but the new blade was so nice compared to the modern blades I have been using recently I thought you all should see.
JSBrmeX.jpg

Imgurl upload failed, trying again. Wtf imgur? It's a 225kb file, why won't you upload?

Last edited:
I don't normally do this, but the new blade was so nice compared to the modern blades I have been using recently I thought you all should see.
JSBrmeX.jpg

Imgurl upload failed, trying again. Wtf imgur? It's a 225kb file, why won't you upload?

How do you find the Turkish brush [if 'm correct]. I love mine.

Brush: Chubby 2
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Elka Stainless
Soap: B&M Latha
A/S: @shavetheman Balm

My package from @Monsta_AU finally arrived yesterday, 12 days from Sydney to Geelong. Good effort AusPost. :mad:

Damn fine lather with the B&M soap. Very slick with great protection, not really sold on the scent but it's certainly not unpleasant. Just smells like a very generic soap to me although Mrs. Nightgurd likes it a lot. Always a plus.

The Shave the Man balm was a nice surprise, very thin for a balm, and feels great on the face. As Monsta has already pointed out the greasy feel usually associated balms doesn't last long at all, an hour after applying it my face felt smooth and moisturised. The scent is almost non existent and very neutral. I'll continue to use it for the few shaves and see how it goes but so far I'm impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you find the Turkish brush [if 'm correct]. I love mine.
I got mine from a user here who has sadly turned to the dark, beardy side (Alas, we seem to have lost poor @SmallYetDeadly - even his avatar shows that he has turned evil).
I've only used it a few times, and hadn't really liked it that much, but she worked fine with the old formula proraso. Enough for 4 or more passes with just an almond size splodge of cream.
Seems to lose a few hairs per shave.

I got mine from a user here who has sadly turned to the dark, beardy side (Alas, we seem to have lost poor @SmallYetDeadly - even his avatar shows that he has turned evil).
I've only used it a few times, and hadn't really liked it that much, but she worked fine with the old formula proraso. Enough for 4 or more passes with just an almond size splodge of cream.
Seems to lose a few hairs per shave.

Mine loose a few hairs as well but so do other brushes I have. My #1 Turkish hasn't lost any hairs as yet. Yet.

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (2)
Post Shave Argan Oil & Dickson's Original Witch Hazel

The TGC Synth seems to be perfect for me to face lather with. Much less lather in the sink than with the Hoar.
SWMBO isn't as keen on the Latha - says it reminds here of Asian Grocery store antiseptic - but hopefully it (or she) will mellow after it has a few more lathers. Much nicer after it lathers than in the tin.

Really loving the La brune WS - probably won't want to go back to Persona Reds anytime soon - anyone want 50 odd Persona Reds?

Really loving the La brune WS - probably won't want to go back to Persona Reds anytime soon - anyone want 50 odd Persona Reds?
I've snagged another one! :sneaky:

My package from @Monsta_AU finally arrived yesterday, 12 days from Sydney to Geelong. Good effort AusPost. :mad:
Don't even start me on this. Spent 40 minutes on the phone to AusPost, wrote numerous emails, they opened 5 more cases when I gave the details of the tracking numbers that I posted them with..... abysmal.

Damn fine lather with the B&M soap. Very slick with great protection, not really sold on the scent but it's certainly not unpleasant. Just smells like a very generic soap to me although Mrs. Nightgurd likes it a lot. Always a plus.
It's great stuff for the price. It will 'settle' in scent after a couple lathers as the scent oils do seem to stratify a little as the soap is superfatted at a higher percentage. As it cools and cures, there's certain scents that tend to rise to the top a bit.

The sent is nice in terms of there's nothing offensive and just about anyone can use it nose unsniffed - it's still much nicer than something like Da Fat which is nothing but a clean soapy smell - this does have some powdery barbershop elements to it.

The Shave the Man balm was a nice surprise, very thin for a balm, and feels great on the face. As Monsta has already pointed out the greasy feel usually associated balms doesn't last long at all, an hour after applying it my face felt smooth and moisturised. The scent is almost non existent and very neutral. I'll continue to use it for the few shaves and see how it goes but so far I'm impressed.

Yeah, this is great stuff from @shavetheman and if you see Con I am sure he will throw you a sampler. Be nice if he actually posted some more info about it, and especially when he will make it available for sale.

I have found it does have a significant Lavender note but if you are using Fougere-type scents you won't even notice it. Perfect accompaniment to the @Barrister & Mann Proto #1 soap.

Last edited:
Recently @Nightguard and I exchanged PM's concerning a razor set he purchased that wasn't one he enjoyed shaving with. Sadly that happens. He indicated he was going to sell it and it is now my SOTD. The set is in such beautiful condition.

Brush Omega
Soap - mine
Scuttle Crabtree and Evelyn
Razor GEM Jewel

I cannot describe the feeling from this razor on first contact. GEM SS blades are sharp but this razor made the blade feel as if it was 10x's sharper and oh so close to the skin. I found it made the MMOC feel dull :)

The angle of this head was different to my other SE razors and I tentatively took a very short stroke but soon fell into the correct angle. It certainly is an aggressive razor but what a shave. The head design is just superb and the handle - well it looks pretty. I found it a bit slippery but this was only my first outing. The good thing I have many more shaves ahead to get used to it.
Today's shave was 1 pass [seriously :) with a couple of minor touch ups] and DFS/BBS

I told my wife I no longer needed to search for razors now. Between fits of laughter and getting up off the floor she said "Sure, yes , of course :) "

@Nightguard thanks so much, you were fantastic to deal with. I couldn't be happier.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.