Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing of note is that it seems to produce a dry lather. After building a plentiful face lather I have had to dip the tip of my brush into the water and moisten the lather on my face. Is this because the synth does not hold water like a well-damped badger? Not a major issue, just a different method to using the badger. The synth is not as soft as the badger (because it is only new??? Do synthetic fibres soften as badger hair with use??) but not so "rough/harsh" that this is a problem.
Doesn't sound like a fun synth :(

I had a look at this one in the store and indeed it is very prickly...unfortunately this will not change - there is no break in with synths.

I hope for you that the knot will loosen up a bit - that's where the water can stay so your lather is not as dry.

Another trick is to add the water onto the soap and then load.

Gillette NEW LC (it's old, that's just what they called it half a century ago and it stuck)
Shick super stainless NoseCutter
Case
Strop Shoppe Austin - last hoorah
Supermarket balm (saving my last mentholated splash for a special day)

Another smooth shave, apart from nicking my nose. It's NowNicked again :-(

Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: Polsilver, modern (0)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: Soap Comander 'Courage'

Time to swap out Le Brune Wilk and reached in the box to pick out..... a Polsilver. Bit of a let down after the Wilk but whatevs. After 3 days growth, the Polly got through it on the first pass with only a whimper of unhappiness but the second pass was all butter.

The SC gave a good, thick lather this morning. Really happy with it but sometimes I think it just doesn't quite meet the standard of the other artisans. Still bloody good though.

The Courage did teach me one thing - Con's AS balm does have a significant lavender note which I had not picked up previously. Noticeable after the Courage but not the B&M Dickens, and certainly not after the Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver.

Brush: Rooney 3/1 Silvertip Badger
Razor: Merkur Barber Pole
Soap: Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet
Blade: Wilkinson Sword lames double trenchant (0)

Thanks @Monsta_AU for the blade, it worked effortlessly and felt smooth. First shave with the Rooney brush after a number of test lathers. The brush may be the smallest of the Rooneys but held enough lather for a 2-3 pass shave easily. The brush worked well. As for the soap even although I have many soaps in the cupboard I more often than not go for one by Shaver Heaven, they just work well for me.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap: MdC Original
Aftershave: Old Spice - current formulation

OK, I gave up. My face needed a rest so I went back to the Polish Head ...

Nothing to see here people - move right along...

20150627_SOTDS_zps6rlseds1.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Absolute primo shave - the blade is not as super super smooth as I like - but having PERFECT lather on your face, makes you forget these little things ;)

I really had to work hard, because there was so much lather flying around the bathroom :D :D :D

Where to go from here...

Razor: 37c
Blade: Shark Stainless
Brush: S10108
Soap: Euro Palmolive Stick (in future shaves I will refer to this as simply Palmolive)
Aftershave: Antesol

Today was my 41st shave with the mighty 37c. I feel like I've given her a good trial run and I loved every minute but the time has come to move on to less-slanted pastures.

It was my first shave with the Euro Palmolive that @alfredus kindly brought back for me. It beats the Aussie stuff in every criteria I care about. The lather is deliciously thick and creamy and the scent is fantastic. The post-shave is surprisingly good. If I could only shave with this stuff I'd be quite content.

Anyway, it was a very nice shave.

Today was my 41st shave with the mighty 37c. I feel like I've given her a good trial run and I loved every minute but the time has come to move on to less-slanted pastures.
How do you keep count? A diary? Notched post? A box of dice? I struggle to keep a track on how many times I've used any one blade :oops:

I struggle to keep a track on how many times I've used any one blade :oops:

I'll tell you a great trick: if there is a blade in my razor it's going to be the second shave and I know I'll toss afterwards - in every other instance I'll leave the blade in my razor ;)

I keep telling myself I should do some blade longevity testing, but it somehow never happens [emoji23]

I'll tell you a great trick: if there is a blade in my razor it's going to be the second shave and I know I'll toss afterwards - in every other instance I'll leave the blade in my razor ;)

I keep telling myself I should do some blade longevity testing, but it somehow never happens [emoji23]
Yep and that's exactly why vintage blades are wasted on the likes if us mate - a blade others could get 25 shaves from has hit my bin less than a few shaves in.

alfredus: one shave per edge. Impressive!

I wonder if you flip the blade over could you get another two? Like rotating car tires for uneven wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.