Paste & Cut Travelling Box #3 - Reviews and Comments

Damn, the box is Huuuuuuuge as Big Dazza Eastlake used to say.

Glad to see it is taking a few prisoners, sometimes we need to be taken down a notch or two.

9VQv2vz.jpg

Triumph!​

Monday morning's run with PCB3, my heavy 3 day growth and the balmy temperature, I opted to use only 1 item from the box - B&M Black Label Rosemary & Mint. The ATT H was substituted for an ATT R2 that @Draco Noir has kindly loaned me for 2 weeks. I don't think I could have tolerated the H if an R41 was anything to go by.

Draco has loaned me an ATT set, which includes R 1/2 plates, M 1/2 plates and a S1. I have been trialling the ATT set for just over a week now. More about the set in a later SOTD or review.

So Monday's shave was a delight. The B&M Black Label produced an awesome and cooling lather. So easy to whip up. Lovely consistency and very good protection & glide. A winner! Some credit must go to my Vie-Long Epsilon horse hair brush. Beats me why this brush doesn't feature more in SOTD's. A real gem!

The sensational shave was finished off with Proraso Green. The Proraso complimented the B&M perfectly. Whilst I can't put Black Label on future shopping lists, the ATT is certainly going to come into serious consideration. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is second to none. Love the weight and balance. A set made up of a Safety Bar and Open Comb could easily become a daily driver.

Let me pause here and pass on my gratuitous thanks to @Mark1966 for this wonderful treasure box and @Draco Noir for the ATT set. It was a great way to start Monday.

PCB3 SOTD (apologies for the lack of a photograph for this one).

Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse Brush
Soap: @Barrister & Mann Black Label Beaudelaire (from the box)
Razor: ATT R1 with Atlas handle (Thanks @Draco Noir )
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
After: Thayers Witch Hazel and Alt Innsbruk

The only product from the box I used was another B&M Black Label. My hand was heading for the Yardley vintage but I wanted to follow up Monday's great shave with another B&M Black product. Beaudelaire has that classic mens cologne scent and the performance is just as you come to expect.

Finished off with that lovely Alt Innsbruck. Smells so good and wonderfully cooling. I'm so looking forward to this cologne coming to Australia (mine is a sample). It's going to be a mainstay for me when summer kicks in.

Finished off with that lovely Alt Innsbruck. Smells so good and wonderfully cooling. I'm so looking forward to this cologne coming to Australia (mine is a sample). It's going to be a mainstay for me when summer kicks in.
Yep. Coming soon... Before Summer it'll be available DownUnder. [emoji6]
(But you already know that as a careful reading of your comments above point out. [emoji13])

Neither can I wait for my Alt-Innsbruck.
Appears it's a winner when it comes to suggestions as to prospective popular items :)

Yep. Coming soon... Before Summer it'll be available DownUnder. [emoji6]
(But you already know that as a careful reading of your comments above point out. [emoji13])

;) Nothing gets past you Mr @filobiblic . My ears pricked up when I heard those magical words.

Neither can I wait for my Alt-Innsbruck.
Appears it's a winner when it comes to suggestions as to prospective popular items :)

Worth waiting for in my opinion (y) Most enjoyable when the weather warms up.

305riwB.png

Le Pére Lucien - Le Awésome

Brush: Romera Manchurian Finest
Soap: Le Pére Lucien (from The Box)
Razor: ATT R1 (thank you @Draco Noir )
Blade: Personna Med Prep
After: Thayers Witch Hazel & Penhaligon's Opus 1870 (from The Box)

Sumptuous lather. Majestic shave. Glorious day.

p8YBXlK.png

Schick Injector Take #2

Soap: Jabonman Ylang Ylang Patchouli (from The Box)
Brush: Romera Manchurian Finest
Razor: Schick Injector (from The Box)
Blade: Personna (from The Box)
After:
Thayers Witch Hazel and Frapin AS (from the Box)

A much better effort with the Injector. Light touch and a rich lather made the difference.
Don't know which Frapin AS I used, the sample bottles are not labeled. Smells great and good longevity.

This morning was my last shave with the PCB3. My thanks again to @Mark1966 for making this happen.

Soap: Murphy & Daughters Old School (from The Box)
Brush: Savile Row
Razor: Schick Injector (from The Box)
Blade: Personna (from The Box)
After:
Thayers Witch Hazel and Frapin AS (from the Box)

Only difference this morning was the Murphy & Daughters soap. Lather was "dry" on the first pass by improved on second pass by adding water to my brush. Still I was the quality of the lather was a bit sub par as was the slickness. Smells pleasant enough but I feel much can be done to improve on their formula.

Overall highlights for me over the last 2 weeks:
  • B & M Black Label Soaps - lovely rich lather and very good slickness.
  • Le Pere Lucien Soap - produced the best lather in my opinion. Scent wise, meh.
  • Schick Injector - not the best razor that I've shaved with but finally got first hand experience. My initial impressions were very negative but things started to look up with subsequent shaves. A vintage Bakelite model may be on the future horizon.

Lowlights:
  • Penhaligons vintage (tallow) - Thin and dry lather that easily dissipated and resulted in a very poor shave. May be user error.
  • Penhaligons After Shaves - Too sweet for my liking.

Over and out.

Met @Lifes a Peach for a coffee and to pick up the box.

Seems that the David Beckham instinct may have leaked as it is empty and some of the labels have had their marker run.

Decided to start with the Slant of Death and while I was trying to be careful I obviously wasn't careful enough and have a small cut on my chin. Almost no blood but a sting when the aftershave went on.

The Murphy and daughters soap has a lovely scent, lots of things happening here but reminds me of the bush - maybe it's the eucalyptus in it. Lather performed well but could have been slicker.

The Shea Moisture tea tree aftershave had a nice sting going on and you can tell there is tea tree oil present. The other oils add a nice fruity layer.

Not sure if it was the soap or the aftershave, but face is feeling a bit tight and dry now.

C9KDSR4.jpg

Last edited:

B&B Black Label is a slightly different beast than the Latha, also with the smaller container I had to load for a little longer than I usually do but the lather was wonderful and the mint scent is refreshing.
The ATT H1 is an excellent piece of engineering. The balance and feel of this razor is terrific. Unfortunately for my face the blade gap is terrifying, I could really feel the blade on my face. After two passes my I was left feeling a bit raw, but the shave was defintly close.
Aesop's Moroccan Neroli Post-Shave Lotion came to my rescue, it feels a little greasy going on but was quickly absorbed and left my face feeling a lot calmer (although a little waxy). The scent is very pleasant -this will be going in the letter to Santa.
Finished the experience with Floid Vigoros, to my nose a less powdery Myrsol F./Extra, took away the residue waxy feel from the Aesop Lotion and the menthol helped to ease any left over irritation.
Lesson learned from today's shave - the ATT H1 is very aggressive and probably not best used the day after the Slant of Death.

Great reviews mate!

No photo tonight.

After @alfredus talked up Mike's soaps at Friday's lunch I was pleased to find Mike's Barber Shop in the box. Add it's a sample I couldn't load directly on the brush, so I took some soap, added it to the bottom if my lather bowl and started with a damp Vie-Long horse hair brush.

Got a decent lather that was nice and slick but couldn't get the yoghurty texture I was aiming for. Probably needed more soap than I started with.

Used the schick injector and it is probably the closest thing to a cartridge I've tried with its small head and plastic handle. The huge difference between the schick and my cartridge is the closeness of the shave it have. Near BBS after three passes and none of the irritation.

Finished up the Para Depois de Barbear 444. I honestly had no idea what this was before googling and from some of the results was expecting a menthol overdose. While the level of menthol is nicely cooling it wasn't what I was expecting - some of the people reviewing this must be very sensitive to menthol. One review that I read after the shave suggested mixing 444 with your aftershave to give it a menthol boost. Might have to try that with the bay rum tomorrow[emoji106].

All in all a wonderful shave and the letter to Santa is going to be a long one this Christmas

After @alfredus talked up Mike's soaps at Friday's lunch I was pleased to find Mike's Barber Shop in the box. Add it's a sample I couldn't load directly on the brush, so I took some soap, added it to the bottom if my lather bowl and started with a damp Vie-Long horse hair brush.

Got a decent lather that was nice and slick but couldn't get the yoghurty texture I was aiming for. Probably needed more soap than I started with.

When I first started using Mikes I only had some samples and almost gave up on the soap - because of exactly the same reason. Even with a full puck, you need to load Mikes longer than most other soaps, and that is extremely difficult with the small area provided by the sample size.

I would suggest you press the sample and flatten it, increasing the area and then load it like you absolutely hate it and then even some - good luck!

Oh and I almost forgot - here the evidence: