November 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most folks are aware of that trivia about the % of the human body thats made up by water (incidently its ~65% for adult males).

My brain is messed up and it occurred to me that the % of posts on P&C are prolly pretty much along these types of lines. Now my own theory is that around 65% of them are banter/ribbing related. And of these around 65% of them then have some kind of an Arko reference contained within. Go figure. o_O

Not that any of that is a bad thing - well apart from the bizarre Arko obsession/cult/fetish that has me and all the other makers of mediocre shave sticks scratching their heads.

Last edited:
You're sitting on the fence there Nick. Somewhat guiltily?
Oh not at all. I'm very open with my thinking it's a value oriented curio that lathers well, is a bit rubbish on your skin and isn't overly well scented....it's not cat-piss/urinal puck level as some would have you believe but more entry level domestic cleaning products. :confused:

Huge order from Stirling arrived: Full pucks, samples, Alcohol free Witch Hazel balms and splashes...set for the next year I believe :D:D:D

Now waiting on some 300 Voskhod blades from mother Russia and I could go into a sabbatical - in theory:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Huge order from Stirling arrived: Full pucks, samples, Alcohol free Witch Hazel balms and splashes...set for the next year I believe :D:D:D

Now waiting on some 300 Voskhod blades from mother Russia and I could go into a sabbatical - in theory:whistle::whistle::whistle:
I really like my Stirling soaps. Their balms are great as well, especially the matching scents with the soaps.

The Voshkods are amongst my favourite blades.

You have fine taste my friend... [emoji6]

I really like my Stirling soaps. Their balms are great as well, especially the matching scents with the soaps.

The Voshkods are amongst my favourite blades.

You have fine taste my friend... [emoji6]
Thank you!!!

Stirling and Mike's are my favourite soaps...great performance and fantastic face feel - coupled with excellent scents - what more can you ask for (y)

This week is a voshkods week for me actually. Tonight first shave ever with them. Kinda excited :).

WOW - enjoy. It took me a while - but when they were out of stock everywhere the last couple of months and I started to use them less and less in order to save my stock - I realised they are my favourite blades.

PolSilver SI come a close second, but I think Voskhod are just that little bit smoother (y)

Thank you!!!

Stirling and Mike's are my favourite soaps...great performance and fantastic face feel - coupled with excellent scents - what more can you ask for (y)
What scents do you have and are your favourites? I like Sharp Dressed Man (& matching balm) although it's a bit polarising. Port-a-Prince is not bad and ice coffee packs a kick but just misses a good coffee scent. I have a few more but not cracked them open yet.

What scents do you have and are your favourites? I like Sharp Dressed Man (& matching balm) although it's a bit polarising. Port-a-Prince is not bad and ice coffee packs a kick but just misses a good coffee scent. I have a few more but not cracked them open yet.

I use only ones with Essential Oils.

My favourites so far: Bay Rum and Bergamot & Lavender
I also liked Bonaparte, but the wife didn't...
I also have a sample of Lavender and Sage in my current rotation - it is also nice, but the above mentioned lavender scents work better for me...

and then I have Coniferous, Electric Sheep and Scotts Pine Sheep which are in my cupboard but probably wont make it into the rotation this year...

I use only ones with Essential Oils.

My favourites so far: Bay Rum and Bergamot & Lavender
I also liked Bonaparte, but the wife didn't...
I also have a sample of Lavender and Sage in my current rotation - it is also nice, but the above mentioned lavender scents work better for me...

and then I have Coniferous, Electric Sheep and Scotts Pine Sheep which are in my cupboard but probably wont make it into the rotation this year...

Yeah, I'm half-half on Bonaparte.
I went with unusual or non-natural shaving scents with Stirling as I think that's one of Rod's strengths. He (like the former HTGAM/now-Phoneix fancy pants) play around with interesting 'life' scents. Others tend to stick to the shaving scent set with some classier variations and complexities.

Re: Essential oils. Why choose them especially? Are they just a natural product (cf. synthetic) or is there some additional benefit in their choice?

Re: Essential oils. Why choose them especially? Are they just a natural product (cf. synthetic) or is there some additional benefit in their choice?

Exactly - essential oils are natural products which are extracted from plant materials. My skin is on the sensitive side (Speick was a big no no, as well as menthol and mostly alcohol as well), so why risk it - there are so many soaps to try anyway...and it is probably better for the environment - there I said it - I do care :cool:

@filobiblic
Essential = naturally derived
Fragrance = synthetically derived

Exactly - essential oils are natural products which are extracted from plant materials. My skin is on the sensitive side (Speick was a big no no, as well as menthol and mostly alcohol as well), so why risk it - there are so many soaps to try anyway...and it is probably better for the environment - there I said it - I do care :cool:
You speak ill of the Speick! OMG our mascot will be aghast, outraged….

I admit to admiring the performance of this German product line, some might even call me a "fan" (though not to the extent of Western evangelists on here harping on about that Turkish 'soap'). One reason I initially gravitated towards Speick was the predominance of natural ingredients - as well as the fact that they don't test on animals. From the list of ingredients I spy Speick and Lavender essential oils, so what is the culprit….."fragrance", "cetearyl alcohol"?

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Fragrance, Glycerin, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Cl 77891, Cl 15985, Cl 16255, Benzyl Salicylate, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool.

Always keen to learn a little more as my skin seems to be getting a little more sensitive as it ages.

I
You speak ill of the Speick! OMG our mascot will be aghast, outraged….

I admit to admiring the performance of this German product line, some might even call me a "fan" (though not to the extent of Western evangelists on here harping on about that Turkish 'soap'). One reason I initially gravitated towards Speick was the predominance of natural ingredients - as well as the fact that they don't test on animals. From the list of ingredients I spy Speick and Lavender essential oils, so what is the culprit….."fragrance", "cetearyl alcohol"?

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Fragrance, Glycerin, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Cl 77891, Cl 15985, Cl 16255, Benzyl Salicylate, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool.

Always keen to learn a little more as my skin seems to be getting a little more sensitive as it ages.
Could be the fragrance, could be the alcohol - to be honest I don't care too much. The performance is nice, but there are so many great products out there that really take care of their ingredients...no need to torture my skin to find out what it doesn't like

Alcolado Glacial arrived this morning.
Unfortunately it wasn't packed as well as it might have been and I've lost a reasonable amount of liquid.

No wonder the office manager gave me funny looks when she handed the box over to me.

ThSP9qT.jpg

Being greedy on the delivery front today. First a stroller for Babybert, then the Alcolado, and finally some roasted coffee as I wanted to try something different to the stuff I have been (badly) roasting for a little while.

Last edited:
I get 100% where Alfredus is coming from with this as I find a greater propensity for skin irritation if I'm using overly non-natural scented soap.

That said the terms 'natural' and 'organic' are the two most misused/abused terms by marketers - the first one being essentially misunderstood by the vast majority of folks (present company here excluded!) as plutonium, animal faeces, Ebola etc etc are all 100% natural (and quite possibly organic as well) - but the masses flock to anything labelled with either of those two tags on them. ABC's The Checkout did an excellent spot on it a few months back.

But like I said myself I try and avoid fragrance based soaps for E.O ones. People in glass houses eh? ;-)

That said the terms 'natural' and 'organic' are the two most misused/abused terms by marketers - the first one being essentially misunderstood by the vast majority of folks (present company here excluded!) as plutonium, animal faeces, Ebola etc etc are all 100% natural (and quite possibly organic as well) - but the masses flock to anything labelled with either of those two tags on them. ABC's The Checkout did an excellent spot on it a few months back.
Well said!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416261485.021266.jpg

About a month ago I got the RazoRock Zi peppino balm, and caprifoglio AS. I quickly realised I liked neither scent and shaver hut kindly agreed to exchange them.

So instead came Jermyn St and the sandalwood balm.

Jermyn st is jermyn st. Awesome. Subtle. Typical understated English excellence.

The RazoRock on the other hand is the bold Italian. This balm has a sting like a scorpion with a dark heavy scent that lasts for ages! I made the mistake of using both these products after a shave and it was scent overload. This balm is a strong AS in itself, and doesn't play well with others. I'm getting to like it though! A good 45 minutes of scent from a balm is impressive. It's best at about the half hour mark, being a bit more subdued by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.