November 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the reason you won't be seeing many new shaving related purchases from me: My latest acquisition that is on its way from the US:
baby-jogger-city-mini-gt-2014-crimson-33.jpg

Not cheap, but less than half the price I can buy them from locally.
Oh boy, a three-wheeler….if you drive anything like me, and Jeremy, then I fear the worst.
…note the resemblance - including shape and colour

I've got to toughen him up somehow. Wifebert is definitely going to mollycoddle him, so he needs to have some real life experiences!

Well this is a heads up at the same time (as I think it represents very good value for some prospective buyers)... I just ordered a Muhle R41 (v.2013) from Connaught. GBP14.75 delivered. So thats just a smidge over $AUD27.

Specifically chose just the R41's head as it's what makes the razor tick and IMHO the handle isn't much chop (just under double the total price inclusive of handle, extra postage) - especially compared to the Weber Bulldog that I have and just confirmed will definitely fit it (done by trying EJ DE89BA11 head on).

This whole episode has prompted me to question WHY I've been using the Weber handle, which is incredibly tactile and grippy - ONLY with the Weber's head. So I'm going to keep it out and use with all my 3 piece razors moving forward. I do suppose thats another little perk that 3 pieces have over their 2p & TTO brethern.

PS. It is very nice to find that seemingly all razor makers use the same measurements/sizing for their screw affixing the head to the handle - allowing almost endless combos eg Frankenrazors. Compare that to the old antics of the mobile phone makers with their chargers etc! Every other brand and even individual models having a proprietory plug - bunch of bastards!

Your children?
Yes @eggbert , very similar to the Thomas 40 gallon drum method for raising children, Except you nail them into a wooden crate hatch at the top for stuff in, hole in the bottom for stuff out, after a suitable length of time (18 years is good) open the crate and if you like what you see release them, otherwise hire a boat and set the afloat a few hundred kilometres away from land, give them a plank for a paddle and drop them overboard (some people drill holes and attach weights to the crate first but I think you should give them a sporting chance. :) There you have it Eggy - crate training - the only thing you have to be careful of is if somehow they make it to shore and they know where you live they can be a touch irritated. :)

Hasn't taken the boy long :) I have just received my 100 Slick Schicks - did the maths and worked out at 46.5 cents per blade........

That's a good price.

........... I only shave at the most 3 times a week.........

And you're here..... because? If there was such a thing as preliminary, conditional membership, that's where you'd be at. That frequency makes you an amateur at best. With my religious 3.5 shaves/week I only just squeeze in.

@gthomas04 and @JugV2 Thanks for the suggestions, but am currently out of complete 44 gal drums (just cut the last 4 in half at the weekend) and crates.

Added bonus that it looks like it comes pre- weed upon

Hasn't taken the boy long :) I have just received my 100 Slick Schicks - did the maths and worked out at 46.5 cents per blade, further breakdown gives me 8 shaves per blade and I only shave at the most 3 times a week so that would be 266 weeks of shaving or a little over 5 years. :)

Good stuff GT!

I am amazed that someone who gets his rocks off shaving with paint scrapers (SE) can appreciate the fine qualities of the Schlicky!

Again this is a bit of a heads up as I can't be pharked posting a thread on it just to be grunted at a few times.....haha needy bugger I am!

I had a significant bday so ordered 6 soaps from Cold River Soap Works in the US. They've currently got a 25% discount applied to their Classic ($USD9 Tallow based) and Original ($10.50) shaving soap lines. Very good value at 4oz each, already in tubs.

FWIW I ordered the following:
Classic Shaving Soap , Choose Fragrance: Savon Fragrance No.1
Classic Shaving Soap , Choose Fragrance: Puro Fresco
Original Shaving Soap , Choose Fragrance: Savon Fragrance No.2
Original Shaving Soap , Choose Fragrance: Bergamot and Bay
Original Shaving Soap , Choose Fragrance: Spiced Amber
Classic Shaving Soap , Choose Fragrance: Bay Rum

Postage was $USD26 - so ended up just under $AUD17 per unit delivered, which was very good IMHO as it gets VERY good reviews at ever site I've seen, amongst the very best soaps most people say they've ever reviewed.

They have applied the 25% discount until the Classic/Original lines are sold out - so although a few scents are already gone you can still get around 80% of them in one of the respective lines. Pretty good buying IMHO.

Alternatively.......if you really want to spoil yourself and have everyone here jealous consider their Select range - which is $25 per tin, no discount BUT is 50% bigger and on paper is the very best shaving soap in the world (I've read multiple reviews and looked at the ingredients and it's on paper the gold standard) plus the packaging etc is off the charts. ***drool***

That's over 5 years of soap @NtK unless you are using a shitload of soap each shave.

That's over 5 years of soap @NtK unless you are using a shitload of soap each shave.
Well, it's not enough then to get him to his next significant b'day... Buy some more! [emoji41]

Well, it's not enough then to get him to his next significant b'day... Buy some more! [emoji41]
Excellent point! ;) But seriously, it's just such a luxury having a great selection of soaps one can turn to - the Missus likes it as well though I do some times try and somewhat guiltily palm the Arko off onto her!

No, not using much especially as I've fallen back into bowl lathering rather than directly on face. Also tending to use my synth (to be plural later in yr due to a very kind forum member!) using noticeably less soap to get desired lather. Thats a very underrated trait of the latest gen synths.

Surely by now @eggbert you would know you are in the land of the obsessives. @Mark1966 could probably shave for 20 years without using the same razor, I believe the calculation was once done that @Monsta_AU has around 200 250 years of blades, and although he would never admit it I suspect @Drubbing has 20 or 30 of his favourite razors and brushes still unwrapped tucked away just in case. To only have what you need is close to an instant banning offence, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.