December 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorgeous set of brushes you've got there, Mark. What's that one on the very left?

Thanks mate

The one on the very left is the TGN finest re-knotted distressed Culmak that @Pjotr did for me.

Just received my Plisson-L'Occitane synth, which was the last of my bday/self indulgent plurge. VERY impressed with this - full thoughts in the brush forum.

Himage order finally arrived. Mr Taylor ToBs cream - and upon opening this I immedaitely thought WTF did I buy this for - gawd I generally avoid creams wherever I can and I stupidly got this. Smells decidely non-descript....I am already coveting using it up so I can mill a decent hard soap into it's plastic home!

The puck of Jermyn St however is another thing all together - smells very nice, definitely deserves the praise it's gotten in these circles - I can imagine it'd be an excellent choice for a summer shave - look forward to using it.

Mr T non-descript? It is seriously one of the honkiest, muskiest, cologneiest scents they have in the whole range.

People may or may not like it, but regardless…it reeks of smelly stuff dipped in a vat of smell.

Mr T non-descript? It is seriously one of the honkiest, muskiest, cologneiest scents they have in the whole range.

People may or may not like it, but regardless…it reeks of smelly stuff dipped in a vat of smell.
So you like it ?

I do. I can understand why some don't, it's one of their 'cologne' scents. But non descriptor? That's more like St James or avo

I didn't want to incur your wrath - so I've gone and resmelt it (initially it was just a cursory sniff as I touched it with my finger and cursed myself for going against my norm and ordering a cream!). Just to make sure we're on about the same one it's the ToBs 'Shaving Shop Shaving Cream'....not to be mistaken I do like the scent quite a bit but it perhaps didn't get my proper attention as I was fixated on it's texture rather than scent.

It's quite pleasant and perhaps I've just been spoilt/indulged by all these artisan made soaps that are chocked full of essential oils etc.

I didn't want to incur your wrath - so I've gone and resmelt it (initially it was just a cursory sniff as I touched it with my finger and cursed myself for going against my norm and ordering a cream!). Just to make sure we're on about the same one it's the ToBs 'Shaving Shop Shaving Cream'....not to be mistaken I do like the scent quite a bit but it perhaps didn't get my proper attention as I was fixated on it's texture rather than scent.

It's quite pleasant and perhaps I've just been spoilt/indulged by all these artisan made soaps that are chocked full of essential oils etc.

No no your quite right, forget about Drubbs' wrath he just has a strange liking for this Toyota Camry of the tobs range. So boring it's a good night soap- put you straight to sleep just thinking about it's nondescript mediocre scent.

Well that explains it. Shave shop isn't Mr T...

Phew, now thats a load off......nah but I'm glad as I thought why is my sense of smell thinking this is very subtle when the learned (but undoubtably angry) nose of Drubbs thinks it's anything but sunon-descript.

Odd thing is that when I ordered, knowing litte about the ToBs range I perused the Mens Biz site and their reviews of the ToBs range and for some reason thought what I'd ordered was the Mr Taylor's - but Himage never had this so complete mess up by me. Like I said not a bad smelling one BUT I wish I'd just gone with my first instinct which was to get an extra puck of Jermyn St to mill into a bowl - as is I''ll just have to rough it with one of them. Ah times are tough.

Vintage polsilvers you say. Where would one source these?
Your thread reminded me of this post.
The seller sold the last of his stock to me afaik.

273f7bcddcb7012ed037d70e1396f22a.jpg

Jermyn Street balm is everything you'd want it to be.

I think I'm going to be rating the Nannys

B&M scents are so clear and fresh. Ripper!

Bought a packet of Gillette thins here in Vietnam for ~0.50$ for 5+1 blades. Unfortunately I fear they are not as good as the Super Platinums I picked up in Bali...

Bought a packet of Gillette thins here in Vietnam for ~0.50$ for 5+1 blades. Unfortunately I fear they are not as good as the Super Platinums I picked up in Bali...
But all better than the Chinese blades... [emoji33]

But all better than the Chinese blades... [emoji33]
Yes of course. Won't touch the Dorcos here either. Coolest thing I saw was a mobile barber on the street. Had a mirror fixed to a fence and wanted to shave me with a shavette - that looked even OK and wasn't too rusty :) But then I saw the blades he used and made a runner...

Alf, if you're in Ho Chi Minh City then try to get down to the army surplus junk market. If you poke around there are plenty of old DE's, and that was where I picked up both my Krona (in good condition) and Slim (usable and decent) for peanuts; I can't remember the exact price, but definitely less than $20 for both.

Gorgeous set of brushes you've got there, Mark. What's that one on the very left?

Yeah that was one of the darkest butterscotch handles I've seen. Covered in really nice little surface cracks. Culmaks are really nicely shaped handles. Mark had two different sized ones in his last batch of vintage handles. I think they all got sold or traded one way or another. Culmaks.jpg
The two Culmaks.

Cracked Handle Brush.jpg
My little distressed butterscotch.

Ever Ready Boar.jpg
Ever Ready Boar

Boeckh's III.jpg

And last but not least, a pisser of a brush re-knotted for Jugster. The writing in real life looks a lot better.

Absolutely love this photo. Reminds me of a bunch of old fellas having a conference.

All the best to them, as at least their hair went salt and pepper rather than taking the thin and disappear option. Hmmpphh!

Alf, if you're in Ho Chi Minh City then try to get down to the army surplus junk market. If you poke around there are plenty of old DE's, and that was where I picked up both my Krona (in good condition) and Slim (usable and decent) for peanuts; I can't remember the exact price, but definitely less than $20 for both.
Thanks - will arrive there later today and try to visit the place!

Yeah that was one of the darkest butterscotch handles I've seen. Covered in really nice little surface cracks. Culmaks are really nicely shaped handles. Mark had two different sized ones in his last batch of vintage handles. I think they all got sold or traded one way or another.

Mate, you do some really nice work with those handles. There is something quite endearing about them.

Mate, you do some really nice work with those handles. There is something quite endearing about them.

Thanks LaP but it's just a matter of cleaning them up a bit (not too much in the case of butterscotch!) and plonking a knot in. You should all be doing it. There are some great handles out there. Mark deserves the credit for gathering a nice selection of butterscotch handles of various shapes and sizes. I'm sure many were by catch in his quest to gather the biggest collection of vintage Simpsons south of the equator. It's a pity I really don't like big brushes otherwise I would have been all over that Boeckh's. If only for the weird name and obscure possessive apostrophe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.