The Fat becomes vegan

Um probably not. They don’t make the soap it’s made under contract somewhere. The ingredients list would look more like the new Lea reformulation or better yet Haslinger, if performance was important. Also palm would not feature given the EU stance on continued palm products beyond 2030.

Yeah, the new MWF ingredients don't give me much confidence.
It may lather up OK but as we all know, shaving soaps are much more than just lather.

Lea classic veggie lathers up just fine and does a good job, but it's only half the soap of the previous Lea classic tallow!!

Yeah, the new MWF ingredients don't give me much confidence.
It may lather up OK but as we all know, shaving soaps are much more than just lather.

Lea classic veggie lathers up just fine and does a good job, but it's only half the soap of the previous Lea classic tallow!!
True but for the price about $5 a stick still not bad.

True but for the price about $5 a stick still not bad.

I'm referring to the Lea classic puck.

The stick was always average for me although the tallow with lanolin/glycerine was pretty good.

The Lea classic tallow puck was phenomenal!

When I get the chance I’ll give the veggie formula a run.

I got the new formula and pif'd it after 1 use,enough said
Really?
I regularly try soaps a few times to see if they run better with extra water, a heavier brush load etc.
But hey, can still get an arko bowl for $7.90 on Amazon, everything’s just playing for second place after that deal.

Last edited:
I still think this shemozzle over tallow vs veg is overblown. I agree there are instances where there are big differences in the quality of the reformulation don't play well with user experience, but some people manage to make a fuckup of the product even with the use of tallow. Witness the debacle over the new post-Valobra C&S soaps.

There's no substitute for putting thought into the formulation. I think it makes little difference where the original fats come from, be it bear, sasquatch or thylacine tallow, or common/garden vegetable oils. By the time you've boiled either with NaOH or KOH, you're left with pretty much the same kind of residues.

With the possible exception that you may perhaps end up with a cleaner scent profile with veg fats. Maybe. :unsure:

I still think this shemozzle over tallow vs veg is overblown. I agree there are instances where there are big differences in the quality of the reformulation don't play well with user experience, but some people manage to make a fuckup of the product even with the use of tallow. Witness the debacle over the new post-Valobra C&S soaps.

There's no substitute for putting thought into the formulation. I think it makes little difference where the original fats come from, be it bear, sasquatch or thylacine tallow, or common/garden vegetable oils. By the time you've boiled either with NaOH or KOH, you're left with pretty much the same kind of residues.

With the possible exception that you may perhaps end up with a cleaner scent profile with veg fats. Maybe. :unsure:

@Gargravarr - that C&S thread was a very interesting read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was enough that when 5 pucks of O&C arrived from MensBiz with the new formulation on the label (MB hadn't updated their sales page at that point) I sent them back unused for credit on another bottle of the EdC. I don't mind having a lifetime's supply of that. :smuggrin:
I feel sad that I didn't buy more but also feel a sense of relief that I don't have that hanging over my head in my fantasy cart too. It's out of my hands now. I truly feel this was a bad idea on MWF's behalf. Who knows if they will change back in a year or two but in the meantime there are plenty of other good soaps to stuff for me to add to the fantasy cart. hahaha.

Thanks for the heads up though. Surprised that MensBiz didn't (and still hasn't) update their website but also not surprised. Also $29.95 for the tallow refill is also wildly overpriced too.

I feel sad that I didn't buy more but also feel a sense of relief that I don't have that hanging over my head in my fantasy cart too. It's out of my hands now. I truly feel this was a bad idea on MWF's behalf. Who knows if they will change back in a year or two but in the meantime there are plenty of other good soaps to stuff for me to add to the fantasy cart. hahaha.

Thanks for the heads up though. Surprised that MensBiz didn't (and still hasn't) update their website but also not surprised. Also $29.95 for the tallow refill is also wildly overpriced too.
Mitchell's Wool Fat with ceramic bowl has gone up nearly $84.95 now :eek: