Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD: 25th Dec
Temperature: H-1 L-0.5
Wind speed 0.9 M/S
Barometer 976 HPA
Water depth 199m
Merry Christmas from the bottom of the world.

@Nico wins BUT my Christmas Day was spent at Schloß Schönbrunn (Schönbrunn Palace) and associated Christmas markets and wandering around the gardens -

HwL44kym.jpg
eM5nTkDm.jpg
f9hggnLm.jpg

The rain stayed away but still no snow.

Brush: Proraso Omega
Razor: Krave Brass SB (D plate) + WCS brass MR5 handle
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum (2)
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira's Destructible Shaving Bowl
Soap: Pereira's Chrcoal Soap
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel // Palmers Olive Butter Lotion

Nowhere near as exciting/exotic as @Nico or @Mark1966 efforts but still a pleasant DFS with the Karve. Super smooth and comfortable but sadly not as close as hoped as 6 hours later and I see spots of uneven growth around the chin :unsure: There's always next shave to aim for better results... Happy shaves!

49bOpP7.jpg

Dec B8
WR2
Feather
Bufflehead Elephant Walk
Storybook Chasing Sunsets
Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Definitely one of those lazy summer days, a little soap, some splash and something nice to round out the proceedings ... t'is a charmed life!

Forgot the photo.

Had another go at the Wolfman Guerilla.

Prep: Shower; Prosaro pre-shave; APR Fougere Trois. Tony Forsythe Badger (from Charity Auction 2019)
Blade:
Feather

Definitely a smooth, mild razor. I have a rather coarse stubble and it cut right through as one would expect from a Feather. Relatively mild (perhaps a 4 on the Rockwell 6S at a guess).

Did a few too many passes because of how smooth it was (that and ATG) ... ended up with just a few very small spots under the chin and mild razor burn.

Still finding my niche with the razor. I like it. Not sure I like it more than my 0.95 Timeless Ti. But deserves more time!

Date:- 26 December 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Valobra (4 shaving sticks press into a 250 ml plastic tub)
Razor/Blade:- Muhle R89 attached to iKon Bulldog / Wizamet Super Iridium #2
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

L5t39QL.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1460 Boar
Soap: B&M Sample #3
Razor: GC-84P
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: APR Festivus 2018 SE
All this new stuff for XMAS and using samples generously PIF by @eggbert at the 1st Darwin meetup.
Feather/GC combo on shave 4 is still producing a DFS maybe a bit aggressive for daily use. Will see how the razor rash holds out.

L5t39QL.jpg

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1460 Boar
Soap: B&M Sample #3
Razor: GC-84P
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: APR Festivus 2018 SE
All this new stuff for XMAS and using samples generously PIF by @eggbert at the 1st Darwin meetup.
Feather/GC combo on shave 4 is still producing a DFS maybe a bit aggressive for daily use. Will see how the razor rash holds out.
Have you tried the EJ DE89 or Muhle R89 with a heavy handle for an everyday daily shave? using a Kai Stainless Steel, Gillette Nacet and Polsilver SI to take the edge down a bit for daily use without irritation.

Thanks @SpeedyPC I have a couple of 89 varieties but tried once and put them in the display cabinet along with 34C and other mild razors.
Will try with a few of the blades you have suggested. GC-84P with GSB is a good daily shave but I do like a little more on the aggressive side.
GC-84P with Feather is perfect but can feel a bit of burn - nowhere near as much as JAWS or R41 just a little discomfort

Thanks @SpeedyPC I have a couple of 89 varieties but tried once and put them in the display cabinet along with 34C and other mild razors.
Will try with a few of the blades you have suggested. GC-84P with GSB is a good daily shave but I do like a little more on the aggressive side.
GC-84P with Feather is perfect but can feel a bit of burn - nowhere near as much as JAWS or R41 just a little discomfort

Hey @Holiday
Give the Astra Blues a go. They are sharp yet comfortable. Perform well in all my razors.

Forgot the photo.

Had another go at the Wolfman Guerilla.

Prep: Shower; Prosaro pre-shave; APR Fougere Trois. Tony Forsythe Badger (from Charity Auction 2019)
Blade:
Feather

Definitely a smooth, mild razor. I have a rather coarse stubble and it cut right through as one would expect from a Feather. Relatively mild (perhaps a 4 on the Rockwell 6S at a guess).

Did a few too many passes because of how smooth it was (that and ATG) ... ended up with just a few very small spots under the chin and mild razor burn.

Still finding my niche with the razor. I like it. Not sure I like it more than my 0.95 Timeless Ti. But deserves more time!

I know it feels counter intuitive - but try LESS pressure. With mild razors one often uses too much pressure...I'm not 100% sure why, but I think you press down the stuble and then can't shave it.

If you really just glide over your skin with the right angle (and the super sharp feather) I'm pretty sure you will end up with a super close shave...

I know it feels counter intuitive - but try LESS pressure. With mild razors one often uses too much pressure...I'm not 100% sure why, but I think you press down the stuble and then can't shave it.

If you really just glide over your skin with the right angle (and the super sharp feather) I'm pretty sure you will end up with a super close shave...
Reckon your bang on Alf, my first couple of shaves was a horror show. Lots of blood but no smooth shave, in fact I was about to give up and go back to electric but I watched some YT and joined here and now I enjoy it and look forward to it so much.

I started with shave foam and a EJ DE89 clone just over a month ago now, and in that short time to here and now I own 17 different soaps/creams, a dozen different razors and I can't count how many blades and over a litre of AS and a collection of brushes. In fact I think I will try to not buy anything more for the next year (or so lol).

Last 4 shaves:

Pre: Shower or cold face wash
Blade: Has been a German wilkie (4)
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate No# 4
Brush: Yaqi 2 band badger (2) & Synth Pony (2)
Soap: Proraso RED/Green/TOBS sandalwood/Jack the Barber
Post: Witch hazel with Tea Tree and AS has been either Nelum Sandalwood lotion or Traditional Bay rum AS.

First impressions of (crowded with tourists) Prague -

O1eia51l.jpg
WwvQAEzl.jpg

01uTJFZl.jpg

2SJGninl.jpg

Photo Credits MrsMark1966

First impressions of (crowded with tourists) Prague -

O1eia51l.jpg
WwvQAEzl.jpg

01uTJFZl.jpg

2SJGninl.jpg

Photo Credits MrsMark1966
My problem with Prague the last couple of times I was there, I couldn't walk, because too many tourists...

Don't get me wrong, Vienna is a nightmare as well these days, but Prague is a whole different level :(

My problem with Prague the last couple of times I was there, I couldn't walk, because too many tourists...

Don't get me wrong, Vienna is a nightmare as well these days, but Prague is a whole different level :(

I could never be around that many people, I could never go to shows or concerts. I'm kind of person who goes opposite way, I love being alone on the bush or wilderness. But that said I love the seeing these beautiful cities and I'm always in awe of the work, history and stories behind older things built from the past.

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: Timeless 0.95 SB
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: Stirling Blu

First time I have gone to town on a three day growth with the Timeless in a long while and it did not disappoint with the razor cutting through the growth like butter. Stirling Soap has cemented itself as one of my top soaps. Excellent BBS with top shelf post shave feel!!

49279347121_fd4129dd11_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.